News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Take out a loan to buy a charger or no?

Started by marshallfry01, January 30, 2020, 12:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Isn't putting money into a 401K is like gambling with your money.  Your betting/investing into something you cannot control.  :shruggy:
I'd like too see better pic's of the quarter panels.  Looks like they are toast.

bigdsul

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 30, 2020, 11:52:41 AM
30k will buy you a 68-69 charger that needs 50k worth of work. Do not finance it unless you want to have 2 loans. One to buy, and one to fix it.

I've seen driving chargers pop up for 20 to 25k that don't need 50k to fix. Not everyday but they are definitely out there.

50k is a number most of us don't have to put in a car either. Most save up and spend as they can but end up saving wherever they can buying for their project car.

b5blue

Definitions of same "Driver" word vary with intent. My car is driver with no intent to ever fully restore, why risk all that extra detail money. I own the car to use the car constantly so expect "battle damage" and general wear and tear. My kids want the car so it's not going to be for sale and I've done repairs with an eye on better driving/riding/handling as opposed faster or more restored.
  I think the OP wants a car to use and enjoy not work on so much you don't dare risk it.  :scratchchin:

lloyd3

The term " driver" can be pretty nebulous.  It can range from an older restoration that is mostly original to a rag-tag collection of parts that rolls.  As the years go by, I'm seeing far-more of the latter being advertised.

nchrome

Just my opinion look what the price tag of the auto industry is now a days. And most of then only last about 5-8 years and your paying 15-30 thousand for them. So why not buy a car that with a lot of care will only increase or maintain its value. :smilielol: :scratchchin: :yesnod:

chargervert

Only one time back in 1982 did I try to get a loan for an old school Mopar. I was denied by the bank. I remember the loan officer telling me that old Plymouth is not worth 4 grand and it never will be!  So I had to pass on that orange 440 4 speed Superbird!  I hope the d bag choked on his popcorn watching Barrett Jackson, remembering what he said to me!

Ponch ®

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 05, 2020, 11:02:59 PM
Isn't putting money into a 401K is like gambling with your money.  

isnt putting money into anything like gambling? Put into a house, you say. If the housing market crashes, you lose. Hide your money under your mattress? well, there could be a fire, or theft, or a good old fashioned currency crash, and so on. Give it to your brother in law for that slam dunk business proposition? Im sure nothing will go wrong with that.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

BSB67

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 05, 2020, 11:02:59 PM
Isn't putting money into a 401K is like gambling with your money.  Your betting/investing into something you cannot control.  :shruggy:

That's funny.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

DanielRobert

People never seem to get to the real cost of a car. Buy a car for 30-50K, whether your saving that money on a monthly basis or financing. The real difference is the interest  factor....figure that out and see if its worth the interest to have the car now. And also, if you get bored or have to get rid of it, figure out how much thats worth to you if you feel you'll lose a little on the car. I'm not a fan of a big loan, but I would do a loan if I wanted it bad enough...just like a boat or a cabin etc.

Here's some perspective that supports your question;
My ex wife wanted to "save" money for a new house..problem was, the money we were saving barely covered what the house markets were appreciating. So we bought the house and with less down payment and enjoyed living in that house as opposed to staying in the old house paying the same payment as the bigger mortgage(thats the "saving up per month" part)

Quote from someone in my past "I'd rather overpay on the RIGHT car than get a deal on the WRONG car....the right car will always be nice no matter what you paid for it."

1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am