News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Most interesting optioned second Generation you have seen

Started by XS29LA47V21, January 07, 2020, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

I was thinking the other day about options for second generation Chargers. Not to brag, more of a... man how did I get old so fast.  I have seen a fair amount of 69s over the last almost 40s of memories of cars in person, advertised, magazines, on the net, etc.

Separating from value or popularity necessarily please.  What do you think are the most interesting or uniquely cool second generation Chargers you have either seen or feel exist as real optioned cars. 

For example, I seem to recall a 69 W1- 318 W1 vinyl top delete with red interior.  So understanding the vinyl top delete was a paid for option, but the rest of the car was very low optioned.  Something like that is really interesting and I am finding that would have been a great car to have bought or hooked a friend up with.   

Or personally I have not heard many original owner purchase stories either but I did the other day.  Older fella obviously ordered a 68 A4 RT 4spd, vinyl top delete, no PS, no PB and stripped otherwise. 

Or being I am into 69 RTSEs, some in here are pretty great to me.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,80144.msg1648600.html#lastPost

What is your car or two?

Kern Dog

I don't follow you with the reference "Vinyl top delete". Was the vinyl top standard on all models? I thought it was either a stand alone option or part of an option group.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 07, 2020, 09:11:30 PM
I don't follow you with the reference "Vinyl top delete". Was the vinyl top standard on all models? I thought it was either a stand alone option or part of an option group.

Figured this was right up your alley and the really nice work you do on rare cars.  Perhaps some other expert would debate (and I would disagree).  My understanding is all second gens were standard vinyl top (optioned)  cars.  Someone probably knows history there or it is documented somehow perhaps somewhere.  But general overview as you know the unibody flex there and as you would expect was cheaper to hide with vinyl top than to put lead.  Vinyl top delete cars do not have vinyl top code on fender tag, or on build sheets and originally form the factor would have lead at the sail panels instead of bondo.  Old red book from 30s ago as I recall notes a cost to delete the vinyl top at some dollar amount (+/-20-30 bucks).

JimShine

Years ago, I pulled a 1968 out a field from the 2nd owner. Tracked down the original owner, and other than deterioration, it was as he bought it.

It was white, non-vinyl top, green interior. Console, AC, typical light package with radio.

Here is where it got weird. It had a Heavy Duty suspension, Tick Tock Tach, 15" wheels, and disc brakes...all with a factory 318! When I found the original owner, I asked why he configured a high performance car body for a low performance motor. He said it was on the lot and offered at a great deal. He had nothing to do with ordering it.

Kern Dog

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on January 07, 2020, 09:53:10 PM

Figured this was right up your alley and the really nice work you do on rare cars.  Perhaps some other expert would debate (and I would disagree).  My understanding is all second gens were standard vinyl top cars. 
It is an interesting topic but I don't know the truth. I have read that something like 80+ % of the 68-70 Chargers had vinyl tops. Not the same with the Belvedere/Road Runner/Satellite/GTX models. Those were equal in terms of performance so I doubt the vinyl tops were there to cover for chassis flex. Remember that the Plymouth Superbirds ALL had vinyl tops simply to hide the seams on the rear window plugs. NO '69 Daytonas had vinyl tops.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on January 07, 2020, 09:53:10 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on January 07, 2020, 09:11:30 PM

Figured this was right up your alley and the really nice work you do on rare cars.  Perhaps some other expert would debate (and I would disagree).  My understanding is all second gens were standard vinyl top cars.  Someone probably knows history there or it is documented somehow perhaps somewhere.  But general overview as you know the unibody flex there and as you would expect was cheaper to hide with vinyl top than to put lead.  Vinyl top delete cars do not have vinyl top code on fender tag, or on build sheets and originally form the factor would have lead at the sail panels instead of bondo.  Old red book from 30s ago as I recall notes a cost to delete the vinyl top at some dollar amount (+/-20-30 bucks).

A vinyl top was optional therefore, no "vinyl top delete". If such a thing existed, the documentation would show up on broadcast sheets, window stickers and other factory documents. It doesn't.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

6bblgt

a vinyl top was NOT STANDARD on any 1968-'70 Charger

a vinyl top was an extra cost OPTION on second generation Chargers
$85.90 in '68
$93.55 in '69
100.00 in '70

the spring '69 "white hat special" included the vinyl top (in black, green, tan or WHITE), it was included with the purchase of a "power operated SUNROOF" 1969-'70

was there a spring special package in '68 or '70 that included a vinyl top?

edit

6bblgt

an interesting 2nd gen. would be one that required 2 fender tags when new  :coolgleamA: I've seen one, a '70 "plum crazy" R/T SE
or
an expensive "loaded" Charger with $1,300+ worth of OPTIONS (A/C & a sunroof would be a good start, try to do it without one of those two OPTIONS)
or
on the flip-side: a performance oriented "stripper" Charger with FEW/NO OPTIONS except for drivetrain (bonus points for NO radio!)

6bblgt

Quote from: JimShine on January 07, 2020, 10:19:21 PM
Years ago, I pulled a 1968 out a field from the 2nd owner. Tracked down the original owner, and other than deterioration, it was as he bought it.

It was white, non-vinyl top, green interior. Console, AC, typical light package with radio.

Here is where it got weird. It had a Heavy Duty suspension, Tick Tock Tach, 15" wheels, and disc brakes...all with a factory 318! When I found the original owner, I asked why he configured a high performance car body for a low performance motor. He said it was on the lot and offered at a great deal. He had nothing to do with ordering it.

the only oddity here is the 15" wheels/tires, ONLY available on B-body passenger cars with a HEMI for 1968

without any additional information  :scratchchin: a heavily OPTIONED '68 with 318 A/C power steering & disc brakes would be a "shoe-in" for having chrome ROAD wheels and F70-14 tires (the OPTIONAL tires would've required the addition of the HD suspension) & the high window sticker might have made it a hard to sell vehicle (leading to the eventual "great deal")
***** trading its COOL! wheels with a HEMI car to "make a deal" is a possible scenario.  :shruggy:

XH29N0G

I don't think unusual, but maybe.  Mine was ordered as an XH (bench seat for family of 5), radio delete, 3 on the floor, 3.23 and g78 tires (both for gas mileage), ps, manual brakes, AC, HD suspension (tow package for boat towing), and 383 magnum (gas mileage and he was an starting professor so (he said) it would look strange parking in the lot with a wing and nose), rallye wheels.  There probably are some things I am forgetting, the parenthetical points are things he said to me.  His humor is dry and he grew up a farmer, so some of that (like the wing/nose comment) could have been to wind me up.

I was looking through the option codes and there is something for door edge protectors.  Are those the things in this picture?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

F8-4life

That 70 charger, fm3 383 4 speed that was posted here awile ago was pretty sweet.

Chad L. Magee

The oddest second gen Chargers that I currently own or have owned:

1970 XH29C0G with D11 in FE5, C2XA, V1X, A73, M21, M31, R11

1968 XP29 with 61, 3 (column shift) in PP1, C6V, Y7 with A1, T7, R1

1968 XP29 with 41, 1 (column shift) in SS1, C6Y (see attached fender tag photo)

There are more, but I would have to dig to get to the fender tag information for them...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

chargervert

I bought a pair of 69 Charger R / T SE cars out of a junkyard, one was an EV2 440 4 speed, Dana car, stripe delete black vynal top and black interior. The other was a triple black 440 automatic sunroof car with a white tailstripe, loaded car,AC,power windows, AM 8 track, six way seat,etc. My 70 Charger R / T V code 440 Sixpack automatic car, EW1 non vynal top car ,with F8 green interior, and green longitudinal side stripes is a very unique Charger too.

timmycharger

Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2020, 01:58:09 PM
I bought a pair of 69 Charger R / T SE cars out of a junkyard, one was an EV2 440 4 speed, Dana car, stripe delete black vynal top and black interior. The other was a triple black 440 automatic sunroof with a white tailstripe, loaded car,AC,power windows, AM 8 track, six way seat,etc. My 70 Charger R / T V code 440 Sixpack automatic car, EW1 non vynal top car ,with F8 green interior, and green longitudinal side stripes is a very unique Charger too.

wow when was that? last time I saw a 2nd Gen in a junkyard was about 20 years ago!

chargervert

It was probably close to that time. The junkyard I got them from had over 500 old Mopars, he probably still has about 250 of them. He saved all of them back in the day. I bought a package deal of about 10 cars from him.  The two 69 Charger R / T SE s,two 71 Challengers one R/ T hardtop, one crashed convertible ,two 70 Challengers, one R/T,and one freshly painted sublime convertible, with a 440, 4 speed, and a Dana in it.,one 70 V code Road Runner 4 speed car, one 71 Charger, that my friend built his 71 Daytona out of,and a 71 340 Cuda!  I still have the 71 crashed convertible Challenger, that I repaired, the 71 340 Cuda, and the sunroof Charger R / T SE.  My friend still has the 71 Charger that he made the Daytona out of,and another friend of mine is restoring the V code Road Runner. The sublime Challenger convertible was sold by a friend of mine at Carlisle.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2020, 03:27:30 PM
It was probably close to that time. The junkyard I got them from had over 500 old Mopars, he probably still has about 250 of them. He saved all of them back in the day. I bought a package deal of about 10 cars from him.  

Harry Hall?

6bblgt

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 08, 2020, 06:48:12 AM
I was looking through the option codes and there is something for door edge protectors.  Are those the things in this picture?

yes, sales code M05 door edge protectors  - 1970 Charger registry shows 12% on XH Chargers - seems high?

http://1970chargerregistry.com/Production/XH_8cyl.html

6bblgt

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 08, 2020, 01:19:33 PM
1968 XP29 with 61, 3 (column shift) in PP1, C6V, Y7 with A1, T7, R1

got a pic of this one?
61 = 383 2bbl engine
3 = 4-speed manual transmission (floor mounted ONLY)

chargervert

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 08, 2020, 05:06:51 PM
Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2020, 03:27:30 PM
It was probably close to that time. The junkyard I got them from had over 500 old Mopars, he probably still has about 250 of them. He saved all of them back in the day. I bought a package deal of about 10 cars from him.  

Harry Hall?

Who else?

oldgold69

the white hat special  only came with a vinyl top in all colors of car

LeesRT

There are three interesting Chargers within a 15 mile radius of each other where I live.  A friend of mine has a 1969 Charger R/T, 426 hemi, Automatic car.  I believe his is vinyl top delete and a white stripe and the V21 hood performance treatment option (black).  Then there's mine...1969 Charger R/T, 440, 4-speed, 3.54 Dana, F6 green, black vinyl top, black R/T stripe, and black V21 hood performance treatment option.  Mine has power steering and power brakes, but no disc brakes.  Then the third car is also an F6 car, 440, auto car with black vinyl top, black R/T stripe, and black V21 hood performance treatment option.

Kern Dog

Saying "Vinyl top delete" is like saying a 318 car is a "Hemi delete". If the item was an extra cost option that was NOT chosen, that does not mean that it was deleted. It simply means that It wasn't ordered with it.

6bblgt

LeesRT

Kern Dog...it didn't come with an F***ing vinyl top.  Is that better?  Your comment about a 318 car is "Hemi delete", is not the same.  There were obviously more engine choices than just the two (318 or hemi).  Vinyl top...you either got it, or you didn't. 

Kern Dog

Quote from: LeesRT on January 09, 2020, 08:10:25 AM
Kern Dog...it didn't come with an F***ing vinyl top.  Is that better?  Your comment about a 318 car is "Hemi delete", is not the same.  There were obviously more engine choices than just the two (318 or hemi).  Vinyl top...you either got it, or you didn't. 
No, YOU are not getting it.
You cannot delete something that is an optional piece of equipment. A red car is not "Black Delete". Is a car with a heater only A/C delete? Is a XP car 440 delete? No.