News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Most interesting optioned second Generation you have seen

Started by XS29LA47V21, January 07, 2020, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

I was thinking the other day about options for second generation Chargers. Not to brag, more of a... man how did I get old so fast.  I have seen a fair amount of 69s over the last almost 40s of memories of cars in person, advertised, magazines, on the net, etc.

Separating from value or popularity necessarily please.  What do you think are the most interesting or uniquely cool second generation Chargers you have either seen or feel exist as real optioned cars. 

For example, I seem to recall a 69 W1- 318 W1 vinyl top delete with red interior.  So understanding the vinyl top delete was a paid for option, but the rest of the car was very low optioned.  Something like that is really interesting and I am finding that would have been a great car to have bought or hooked a friend up with.   

Or personally I have not heard many original owner purchase stories either but I did the other day.  Older fella obviously ordered a 68 A4 RT 4spd, vinyl top delete, no PS, no PB and stripped otherwise. 

Or being I am into 69 RTSEs, some in here are pretty great to me.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,80144.msg1648600.html#lastPost

What is your car or two?

Kern Dog

I don't follow you with the reference "Vinyl top delete". Was the vinyl top standard on all models? I thought it was either a stand alone option or part of an option group.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 07, 2020, 09:11:30 PM
I don't follow you with the reference "Vinyl top delete". Was the vinyl top standard on all models? I thought it was either a stand alone option or part of an option group.

Figured this was right up your alley and the really nice work you do on rare cars.  Perhaps some other expert would debate (and I would disagree).  My understanding is all second gens were standard vinyl top (optioned)  cars.  Someone probably knows history there or it is documented somehow perhaps somewhere.  But general overview as you know the unibody flex there and as you would expect was cheaper to hide with vinyl top than to put lead.  Vinyl top delete cars do not have vinyl top code on fender tag, or on build sheets and originally form the factor would have lead at the sail panels instead of bondo.  Old red book from 30s ago as I recall notes a cost to delete the vinyl top at some dollar amount (+/-20-30 bucks).

JimShine

Years ago, I pulled a 1968 out a field from the 2nd owner. Tracked down the original owner, and other than deterioration, it was as he bought it.

It was white, non-vinyl top, green interior. Console, AC, typical light package with radio.

Here is where it got weird. It had a Heavy Duty suspension, Tick Tock Tach, 15" wheels, and disc brakes...all with a factory 318! When I found the original owner, I asked why he configured a high performance car body for a low performance motor. He said it was on the lot and offered at a great deal. He had nothing to do with ordering it.

Kern Dog

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on January 07, 2020, 09:53:10 PM

Figured this was right up your alley and the really nice work you do on rare cars.  Perhaps some other expert would debate (and I would disagree).  My understanding is all second gens were standard vinyl top cars. 
It is an interesting topic but I don't know the truth. I have read that something like 80+ % of the 68-70 Chargers had vinyl tops. Not the same with the Belvedere/Road Runner/Satellite/GTX models. Those were equal in terms of performance so I doubt the vinyl tops were there to cover for chassis flex. Remember that the Plymouth Superbirds ALL had vinyl tops simply to hide the seams on the rear window plugs. NO '69 Daytonas had vinyl tops.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on January 07, 2020, 09:53:10 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on January 07, 2020, 09:11:30 PM

Figured this was right up your alley and the really nice work you do on rare cars.  Perhaps some other expert would debate (and I would disagree).  My understanding is all second gens were standard vinyl top cars.  Someone probably knows history there or it is documented somehow perhaps somewhere.  But general overview as you know the unibody flex there and as you would expect was cheaper to hide with vinyl top than to put lead.  Vinyl top delete cars do not have vinyl top code on fender tag, or on build sheets and originally form the factor would have lead at the sail panels instead of bondo.  Old red book from 30s ago as I recall notes a cost to delete the vinyl top at some dollar amount (+/-20-30 bucks).

A vinyl top was optional therefore, no "vinyl top delete". If such a thing existed, the documentation would show up on broadcast sheets, window stickers and other factory documents. It doesn't.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

6bblgt

a vinyl top was NOT STANDARD on any 1968-'70 Charger

a vinyl top was an extra cost OPTION on second generation Chargers
$85.90 in '68
$93.55 in '69
100.00 in '70

the spring '69 "white hat special" included the vinyl top (in black, green, tan or WHITE), it was included with the purchase of a "power operated SUNROOF" 1969-'70

was there a spring special package in '68 or '70 that included a vinyl top?

edit

6bblgt

an interesting 2nd gen. would be one that required 2 fender tags when new  :coolgleamA: I've seen one, a '70 "plum crazy" R/T SE
or
an expensive "loaded" Charger with $1,300+ worth of OPTIONS (A/C & a sunroof would be a good start, try to do it without one of those two OPTIONS)
or
on the flip-side: a performance oriented "stripper" Charger with FEW/NO OPTIONS except for drivetrain (bonus points for NO radio!)

6bblgt

Quote from: JimShine on January 07, 2020, 10:19:21 PM
Years ago, I pulled a 1968 out a field from the 2nd owner. Tracked down the original owner, and other than deterioration, it was as he bought it.

It was white, non-vinyl top, green interior. Console, AC, typical light package with radio.

Here is where it got weird. It had a Heavy Duty suspension, Tick Tock Tach, 15" wheels, and disc brakes...all with a factory 318! When I found the original owner, I asked why he configured a high performance car body for a low performance motor. He said it was on the lot and offered at a great deal. He had nothing to do with ordering it.

the only oddity here is the 15" wheels/tires, ONLY available on B-body passenger cars with a HEMI for 1968

without any additional information  :scratchchin: a heavily OPTIONED '68 with 318 A/C power steering & disc brakes would be a "shoe-in" for having chrome ROAD wheels and F70-14 tires (the OPTIONAL tires would've required the addition of the HD suspension) & the high window sticker might have made it a hard to sell vehicle (leading to the eventual "great deal")
***** trading its COOL! wheels with a HEMI car to "make a deal" is a possible scenario.  :shruggy:

XH29N0G

I don't think unusual, but maybe.  Mine was ordered as an XH (bench seat for family of 5), radio delete, 3 on the floor, 3.23 and g78 tires (both for gas mileage), ps, manual brakes, AC, HD suspension (tow package for boat towing), and 383 magnum (gas mileage and he was an starting professor so (he said) it would look strange parking in the lot with a wing and nose), rallye wheels.  There probably are some things I am forgetting, the parenthetical points are things he said to me.  His humor is dry and he grew up a farmer, so some of that (like the wing/nose comment) could have been to wind me up.

I was looking through the option codes and there is something for door edge protectors.  Are those the things in this picture?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

F8-4life

That 70 charger, fm3 383 4 speed that was posted here awile ago was pretty sweet.

Chad L. Magee

The oddest second gen Chargers that I currently own or have owned:

1970 XH29C0G with D11 in FE5, C2XA, V1X, A73, M21, M31, R11

1968 XP29 with 61, 3 (column shift) in PP1, C6V, Y7 with A1, T7, R1

1968 XP29 with 41, 1 (column shift) in SS1, C6Y (see attached fender tag photo)

There are more, but I would have to dig to get to the fender tag information for them...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

chargervert

I bought a pair of 69 Charger R / T SE cars out of a junkyard, one was an EV2 440 4 speed, Dana car, stripe delete black vynal top and black interior. The other was a triple black 440 automatic sunroof car with a white tailstripe, loaded car,AC,power windows, AM 8 track, six way seat,etc. My 70 Charger R / T V code 440 Sixpack automatic car, EW1 non vynal top car ,with F8 green interior, and green longitudinal side stripes is a very unique Charger too.

timmycharger

Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2020, 01:58:09 PM
I bought a pair of 69 Charger R / T SE cars out of a junkyard, one was an EV2 440 4 speed, Dana car, stripe delete black vynal top and black interior. The other was a triple black 440 automatic sunroof with a white tailstripe, loaded car,AC,power windows, AM 8 track, six way seat,etc. My 70 Charger R / T V code 440 Sixpack automatic car, EW1 non vynal top car ,with F8 green interior, and green longitudinal side stripes is a very unique Charger too.

wow when was that? last time I saw a 2nd Gen in a junkyard was about 20 years ago!

chargervert

It was probably close to that time. The junkyard I got them from had over 500 old Mopars, he probably still has about 250 of them. He saved all of them back in the day. I bought a package deal of about 10 cars from him.  The two 69 Charger R / T SE s,two 71 Challengers one R/ T hardtop, one crashed convertible ,two 70 Challengers, one R/T,and one freshly painted sublime convertible, with a 440, 4 speed, and a Dana in it.,one 70 V code Road Runner 4 speed car, one 71 Charger, that my friend built his 71 Daytona out of,and a 71 340 Cuda!  I still have the 71 crashed convertible Challenger, that I repaired, the 71 340 Cuda, and the sunroof Charger R / T SE.  My friend still has the 71 Charger that he made the Daytona out of,and another friend of mine is restoring the V code Road Runner. The sublime Challenger convertible was sold by a friend of mine at Carlisle.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2020, 03:27:30 PM
It was probably close to that time. The junkyard I got them from had over 500 old Mopars, he probably still has about 250 of them. He saved all of them back in the day. I bought a package deal of about 10 cars from him.  

Harry Hall?

6bblgt

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 08, 2020, 06:48:12 AM
I was looking through the option codes and there is something for door edge protectors.  Are those the things in this picture?

yes, sales code M05 door edge protectors  - 1970 Charger registry shows 12% on XH Chargers - seems high?

http://1970chargerregistry.com/Production/XH_8cyl.html

6bblgt

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 08, 2020, 01:19:33 PM

got a pic of this one?
61 = 383 2bbl engine
3 = 4-speed manual transmission (floor mounted ONLY)

chargervert

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 08, 2020, 05:06:51 PM
Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2020, 03:27:30 PM
It was probably close to that time. The junkyard I got them from had over 500 old Mopars, he probably still has about 250 of them. He saved all of them back in the day. I bought a package deal of about 10 cars from him.  

Harry Hall?

Who else?

oldgold69

the white hat special  only came with a vinyl top in all colors of car

LeesRT

There are three interesting Chargers within a 15 mile radius of each other where I live.  A friend of mine has a 1969 Charger R/T, 426 hemi, Automatic car.  I believe his is vinyl top delete and a white stripe and the V21 hood performance treatment option (black).  Then there's mine...1969 Charger R/T, 440, 4-speed, 3.54 Dana, F6 green, black vinyl top, black R/T stripe, and black V21 hood performance treatment option.  Mine has power steering and power brakes, but no disc brakes.  Then the third car is also an F6 car, 440, auto car with black vinyl top, black R/T stripe, and black V21 hood performance treatment option.

Kern Dog

Saying "Vinyl top delete" is like saying a 318 car is a "Hemi delete". If the item was an extra cost option that was NOT chosen, that does not mean that it was deleted. It simply means that It wasn't ordered with it.

6bblgt

LeesRT

Kern Dog...it didn't come with an F***ing vinyl top.  Is that better?  Your comment about a 318 car is "Hemi delete", is not the same.  There were obviously more engine choices than just the two (318 or hemi).  Vinyl top...you either got it, or you didn't. 

Kern Dog

Quote from: LeesRT on January 09, 2020, 08:10:25 AM
Kern Dog...it didn't come with an F***ing vinyl top.  Is that better?  Your comment about a 318 car is "Hemi delete", is not the same.  There were obviously more engine choices than just the two (318 or hemi).  Vinyl top...you either got it, or you didn't. 
No, YOU are not getting it.
You cannot delete something that is an optional piece of equipment. A red car is not "Black Delete". Is a car with a heater only A/C delete? Is a XP car 440 delete? No.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 08, 2020, 05:49:52 PM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 08, 2020, 01:19:33 PM

got a pic of this one?
61 = 383 2bbl engine
3 = 4-speed manual transmission (floor mounted ONLY)

Aahh crap, I meant to say floor mounted 4-speed manual on that one.  That is the rolled one that I got up in SD years ago.  Good catch!...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

XH29N0G

I'll ask my dad, but the more I think about it I am pretty sure he considered the 383 as 'hemi delete'.   :smilielol:

Or maybe it protects us. 

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 09, 2020, 08:59:51 AM
Quote from: LeesRT on January 09, 2020, 08:10:25 AM
Kern Dog...it didn't come with an F***ing vinyl top.  Is that better?  Your comment about a 318 car is "Hemi delete", is not the same.  There were obviously more engine choices than just the two (318 or hemi).  Vinyl top...you either got it, or you didn't.  
No, YOU are not getting it.
You cannot delete something that is an optional piece of equipment. A red car is not "Black Delete". Is a car with a heater only A/C delete? Is a XP car 440 delete? No.

Semantics in opinions it seems.  There is a lot that really is not known or documented in the cars we love here. Too bad.  I have had a fair amount of 69s in the past 35yrs and have opinions.  They are mine.  I do not care if it was a cost option or standard option to delete or order in context or whatever here.  Some standard cost options came on "ALL" chargers are fairly well known.  They are shown on the bottom two or three lines of a fender tag obviously generally speaking.  All I am saying is some options could be deleted (or not ordered if you rather, omitted from) for example radios, vinyl tops and perhaps others to discuss on a different thread.  That said, I do believe all Chargers would typically have a vinyl top and just like all would have an AM radio, unless someone purposely ordered it without, either by special ordered car or dealer ordered it that way (unlikely).  Could you delete the wheel options, belt restraints in late 69 or headrests optioned in late 69 shown as costs as recall.  I do not think so.  No documentation here, we do not know, but I think the number of original vinyl top delete (omitted) Chargers are extremely rare, under 1000 cars or even perhaps under 500 cars in 69 and certainly less than the number of Super birds produced for sure...   :smilielol: :smilielol: :slap: :shruggy:

Can we get the thread back on topic for fun interesting car stories?

Lee 3 V21s in one area is wild.  Your part of the country has had a long strong mopar crowd so maybe that is why.  Wonder what the darkest colored V21 car might be.  I recall a gold, R4s, F6s, B5s and wasn't there a 999 orange V21 out there or on forum here.  More V21s on F6 than other colors it seems.  Wish we knew number of V21 cars...

LeesRT

I have this article from the 1990s.  It was a Galen article on V21 options.  Here's where I've gotten some of my numbers.

Kern Dog

I like hearing about oddly optioned cars.  Slant six cars with rubber floor mats and an AM/FM 8 track ? I'd love to see one. My BIL has a 72 Duster that was originally built as a slant 6, 3 on the tree with A/C. Huh ?
My own '70 XH Charger is a 383 2 barrel model with a bench seat while my '70 XP was a 318 with bucket seats. Both had vinyl tops. I refused to put one back on my red XP and the XH won't get one again either.
Regarding the use of the word delete....I do take things literally because I think that either you make accurate statements or you sound ignorant like the idiots that we all run into at car shows. I seem to recall that the "bumblebee" stripes could be deleted. Radios? Not sure but I've heard that they could but what if even the lowly AM radio was not standard equipment? If it was an extra cost option and if the box wasn't checked, the car technically would not be "Radio delete" because you had to pay extra to get it.
This is a curious topic though. I've heard of heater delete but the only car that I have seen that looks to have been built this way was a Red A body that looked like a Dodge Dart Demon built in Mexico and parked in the show at the Van Nuys Spring Fling show. It had block off plates for both the radio and the heater. The '68 SS Dart and Barracuda models were built without radios and heaters as well as having some other special parts but what about regular production cars? Did any cars shipped to the hot southern states ever get heater delete? The A/C systems had a heater integrated so it was impossible to get A/C without a heater.
I recall seeing REAR shoulder belts mentioned as options for some second gen Chargers but I have never seen one in person.
I've only seen ONE Charger with a sunroof.

XH29N0G

Strangely enough Radios could be deleted. Or not included.  I only learned of the radio delete because of the 'radio delete' plate that mine had.  But I think my dad just considered he ordered it without a radio, rather than radio delete.  I think it just went with time and I remember my mom's dad who moved in with us saying that real cars didn't have radios - at the time he was talking about a DB4 he used to own and said the radio just interfered with the engine sounds.  I think for him, it was probably a certain amount of dollars and he figured that added up.  He was frugal.

And what did we do without a radio - something called conversations, or being in trouble.... :rant: :nono: ...happened in the car - and singing  :whistling: :whistling: :ricky: :musik010: :METAL: - Where is the little small person emoji? I remember singing 'Hiegh Ho, Heigh Ho, Its off to school we go....' on some cold winter mornings with my two sisters and dad stuffed in the car.  I think he preferred that over the radio.  I know he preferred that over arguments that a 4 yr. old, 6 year old, and 9 year old could get into.  Fortunately, his arms were only so long and I managed to avoid his reach at least once.

I smile at the listing of option codes because in my old age I have forgotten and this gives me the enjoyment (truly - no jest) of going to the registries to look them up and see what on earth an M21 and M31 are.  Is anyone aware of any of those being deleted?  

Or maybe it protects us. 

69CoronetRT

Words matter.

You can't twist concepts and meanings to fit your thinking or memories.

You can't "delete" something that wasn't standard.

Radios and vinyl tops were not standard. They were optional. You had to pay extra above the standard price of the car to get them.

The documentation on this is pretty extensive.

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69 OUR/TEA

My 69 RT/SE 3x9 has a pretty fair amount of options , A/C / PDB / AMFM / six way seat / tinted glass  / PW / Tach / rear defogger / rocker moldings / headrests ( early car ) / 3 spd wipers , but is auto on column w buddy seat , so I often wonder why choosing all the options that the car has , and yet not get a console ?

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 10, 2020, 12:21:31 PM
My 69 RT/SE 3x9 has a pretty fair amount of options , A/C / PDB / AMFM / six way seat / tinted glass  / PW / Tach / rear defogger / rocker moldings / headrests ( early car ) / 3 spd wipers , but is auto on column w buddy seat , so I often wonder why choosing all the options that the car has , and yet not get a console ?

.??? 

Because you have a girlfriend....

Do people not remember the days of bench seats and before mandatory seatbelts when your girlfriend sat next to you? You can do that with a buddy seat.  You can't do that with a console.

Ghoste

Yep, that added expense to keep girls away just didn't make sense in a car you bought for it's peacock factor.

RallyeMike

The unrestored 69 500 SE I saw locally last year: White + saddle leather interior + dealer-installed Bee-leaver package. This car was really fun to look over. It is certainly a unique car. I am still in love with it  :icon_smile_big:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

tan top

this is a good thread love reading about this kind of stuff  :yesnod: :popcrn:

I find it interesting to see what our second generation chargers were optioned with & especially the tri color combinations ! also what I tend to forget  they were mainly normal people  men women wives husbands moms dads aunties uncles sisters brothers etc  ordering a car to drive A to B  family cars etc , not all buyers were car guys  

every one has different tastes ! &  way back when our cars were new  tastes were different  to say the least imo   look how many green  cars  were built, nothing wrong with those colors ! I love all the factory colors  on second generations & if I had the dough would have one of each color  :lol:  having said I like them all it was crazy times  who would have ordered  mine for example yellow paint black interior &  a tan top :eek2: :lol: no wonder it took so long to sell 7 months from the SPD. also an R/T SE with  manual  drums,  manual windows,  two speed wipers, no wonder I've not seen / heard of another, ( although have seen a tag of a yellow  paint tan interior & black top 69  ! close  )  normally I expect to see a R/T SE  fully loaded with all or most options  :shruggy:
anyways  cant find it at the minute but there was a 69 charger R/TSE forsale few years ago & it was gold, green interior, white top stripe delete & was ordered with only one headrest . also was reading over on moparts  a long time ago an unusual color  combination thread a Y2 69 hemi charger that was coded for red interior, think it was seen & or decoded  by a pretty reliable / known  member over there .  ive searched for it a couple of times  to send the link to Ghoste , but unable to find it.

:scratchchin:   thought there was a pretty unusual 68 on ebay the other week  XX1 paint  with green interior .
           another odd thing ive seen a few of !  & i'm sure many have seen too ! is a  original  440 &  Hemi four speed  R/T chargers  with just a clock  !  no tic toc tach ...
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

6bblgt

1968-'69 the clock was STANDARD - the tachometer w/clock was an OPTION ~$50

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 08, 2020, 02:11:24 AM

$85.90 in '68
$93.55 in '69
100.00 in '70

there were NO "packages" that included the vinyl top, it was included with the purchase of a "power operated SUNROOF" 1969-'70

Except WHITE HAT SPECIALS? And SEs?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Back alley performance

How about a 68 Charger with F8 interior and QQ1  paint???  from the factory!???

OR

How many numbers matching 68 Charger RT's 440,4sp, dana 60's are out there with AA1 paint?  Not to many were painted silver from what Ive learned in my 16 years of ownership!  zero option car other then the am radio.  that's it!  no console, no power steering or brakes!

6bblgt

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 11, 2020, 07:09:46 AM

$85.90 in '68
$93.55 in '69
100.00 in '70

there were NO "packages" that included the vinyl top, it was included with the purchase of a "power operated SUNROOF" 1969-'70

NO STANDARD vinyl top on a '69-'70 SE

& I edited the above post to cover the "white hat specials" - was there a similar package for '68 or '70?

6bblgt

Quote from: Back alley performance on January 11, 2020, 08:14:45 AM
How about a 68 Charger with F8 interior and QQ1  paint???  from the factory!???

there is NO F8 interior for '68, there is "green" - do you have pics of this "bright blue metallic" (QQ1) Charger with "green" interior (C6F)? or a fender tag pic?

there is a '67 Fury in a local junkyard that is "light green metallic" with a "turquoise" interior  :eek2: I'll see if I can find the pics

tan top

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 10, 2020, 11:42:23 PM
1968-'69 the clock was STANDARD - the tachometer w/clock was an OPTION ~$50

that's a lot  think thats more than B51 power brakes  :scratchchin:

see everyone  has different tastes , if  I was ordering a hemi or 440 four speed new , N85  would of been the next option to tick.  even if it was a auto . surly someone spending that kind of dough on a new Hemi or 440 four speed Charger R/T   would not be trying to save money  :shruggy:

wonder how much an aftermarket  sun / stewart warner etc   tachometer was at the time .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

68RT440

We don't have the build sheet for our car, but I think that the color combo is kind of unique. 68 Charger R/T, black with green vinyl top and green interior with white bumblebee stripe. The car was ordered with manual drum brakes, manual steering, sure grip 3.23s and buddy seat. Supposedly the original owner bought it as a family car and even pulled a small boat with it...not sure why you would want to do that with manual steering and brakes
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

1968Fever

How about this 68 RT that is currently for sale?...RR1 Burgundy with a C6B blue interior originally.  The interior is black now but you can see from the fender tag it was blue.  The seller had also told me you can still see traces of the original blue.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/dodge/charger-r-t/2356236.html#&gid=1&pid=30

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 11, 2020, 01:01:41 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 11, 2020, 07:09:46 AM

$85.90 in '68
$93.55 in '69
100.00 in '70

NO STANDARD vinyl top on a '69-'70 SE

& I edited the above post to cover the "white hat specials" - was there a similar package for '68 or '70?

stand up corrected! I thought it was on SEs.

white hat special... Coronets 68 at least yes... can't tell Chargers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvLbmaVXfYI
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: 1968Fever on January 11, 2020, 03:55:45 PM
How about this 68 RT that is currently for sale?...RR1 Burgundy with a C6B blue interior originally.  The interior is black now but you can see from the fender tag it was blue.  The seller had also told me you can still see traces of the original blue.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/dodge/charger-r-t/2356236.html#&gid=1&pid=30

Pretty 68, great outside color...
:popcrn:
Wow, that is odd, almost cumbersome.  Wonder what someone was smoking that day they ordered it....?

I particularly like to see blue interior on non blue cars like the X9 RTSE on the Random RTSE thread and seldom seen many photos the 69 A4 500 with blue interior hemi car.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 10, 2020, 12:21:31 PM

:cheers:
As you recall our cars are pretty similar... so that make both our cars interesting... :scratchchin: :shruggy:
(Mine being 3x9RTSE, AC,PDB,FM, 6way, cruz, PW

MoPaR 312

Not the most interesting Charger I have seen but I have one that is pretty well optioned in my opinion...

69 RT 440 auto
-R6 red exterior and interior (thats a lot of red but I haven't seen many like that)
-Black vinyl top and black stripe
-Power Disc Brakes
-Air conditioning
-Cruise Control
-Power Windows
-AM/8 Track

Also has rear defroster and 6 way seat

TiMopar

Everyone appears to be assuming that these cars were ordered by 'someone'. What about 'Dealer stock' cars? How/ who/ what created them?

moparfan53

Quote from: TiMopar on February 03, 2020, 08:48:36 AM
Everyone appears to be assuming that these cars were ordered by 'someone'. What about 'Dealer stock' cars? How/ who/ what created them?

At the dealership I work at, vehicles for stock / our inventory, are ordered by the sales dept manager or a salesman he asks to place an order. They order what they think will sell. I assume that is the common way it is done.

TiMopar

Quote from: moparfan53 on February 08, 2020, 10:06:04 AM

At the dealership I work at, vehicles for stock / our inventory, are ordered by the sales dept manager or a salesman he asks to place an order. They order what they think will sell. I assume that is the common way it is done.

Thank you for the information, I always wondered this...

chargervert

Quote from: moparfan53 on February 08, 2020, 10:06:04 AM

I had a 70 Charger R / T that was a loaded car that was dealer ordered to be the showroom floor eye candy piece. It was a plum crazy purple car with a white top,tail stripe, and interior. It had AC,power windows, six way seat,painted racing mirrors, 15 inch rallye wheels, go wing,AM 8 track radio,V21 and V24 hood treatment too. The sticker was $5200.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: chargervert on February 10, 2020, 08:41:27 AM

I had a 70 Charger R / T that was a loaded car that was dealer ordered to be the showroom floor eye candy piece. It was a plum crazy purple car with a white top,tail stripe, and interior. It had AC,power windows, six way seat,painted racing mirrors, 15 inch rallye wheels, go wing,AM 8 track radio,V21 and V24 hood treatment too. The sticker was $5200.

And you sold such a beautiful car for what reason?

chargervert

It was a rusty New England car that a tree fell on,so I used it to build the Charger convertible! Had I known that sheetmetal would be available to save the car back in the late eighties, I probably would have stashed it away and restored it.

70B5Cuda

I've had a couple odd ones.
One was a 1968 with 331 (R4) paint and burgundy interior. It was stripped with manual brakes, manual steering, no AC, etc.

The other was a 1968 H code with cruise control, rear defroster, burgundy paint, white interior, and black vinyl top
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: 70B5Cuda on February 10, 2020, 05:40:42 PM
I've had a couple odd ones.
One was a 1968 with 331 (R4) paint and burgundy interior. It was stripped with manual brakes, manual steering, no AC, etc.

The other was a 1968 H code with cruise control, rear defroster, burgundy paint, white interior, and black vinyl top

I have some photos somewhere but in the early 90s I had for couple years a 69 B5, H code, 4spd, AC (could not get an RT 4spde w/AC).  First time my then girlfriend (no wife) ever drove a charger and was accelerated crazy hitting 3rd gear... towards a culvert bridge..... had to yell at her to slow down.  Her response was something of the sorts "I thought Chargers could be jumped..."   I think the car went up to Ohio as I recall.  Always wondered what ever became of it.. Cool car.