News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I found a couple 3rd Gen's in my local junkyard!!

Started by Lightning, May 13, 2006, 02:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

How much of the work do you plan on doing yourself? Those are both parts cars. The cost to find and buy all the pieces to make one of them a running car will be far greater than just buying a driver off e-gay. :Twocents:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TheGhost

Major projects.  I'd consider both of them to be nothing more than parts cars.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

TruckDriver

Quote from: NHCharger on May 14, 2006, 06:54:06 AM
How much of the work do you plan on doing yourself? Those are both parts cars. The cost to find and buy all the pieces to make one of them a running car will be far greater than just buying a driver off e-gay. :Twocents:
:iagree:

They are both pretty much junk. I wouldn't even get into one after you fix it as a drift car.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

MassCharger73

I'll leave the bashing to someone else, there seems to be no lack of willing participants. I dont think either one of those cars is worth the money to tow them home. Keep the LeBaron and drive it to work every day until you can afford a car worthy of repair. :Twocents:
1973 Charger

Darkness

I agree those cars are too far gone unfournately.  :'(  As for a drift car you can build an old car to drift (aka Dukes of Hazard) but, personally I think an older Toyota Celica or Nissan 180 or 240 SX would me choice for a drift car. Or an 80s Toyota Supra or early 80s Toyota Celica just my two cents.

twilt

If i remember correctly, Lightning06 acquired a small import P/U truck recently as a daily driver. Both of those cars look like parts to me. NHCharger is 100% right, you`d be better off spending more money upfront on a car in better condition. I guess i dont get or understand this drifting thing..... probably means I am getting old.

Lightning

Quote from: twilt on May 14, 2006, 08:59:51 AM
If i remember correctly, Lightning06 acquired a small import P/U truck recently as a daily driver. Both of those cars look like parts to me. NHCharger is 100% right, you`d be better off spending more money upfront on a car in better condition. I guess i dont get or understand this drifting thing..... probably means I am getting old.
yeah, i just got my hands on a good running Toyota p/u, and i start my new second job tomarrow.   Thanks for the advice regarding those parts cars though y'all, I'll post the rest of the pics later today.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

chrisII

i recently scrapped a 71 (one i got out of a yard) that was in 10x better shape than either of those cars. when i got the car i was racing and bought it to race or to use as parts. it wound up being to far gone to even be worth it for a race car. sorry to say i agree with everyone else tou nead to save up some cash and buy something that still resembles a car. its much more likely you will finish a project if you can drive it between upgrades.

Lightning

well, there was a Plymouth A-body there too, so would that car be a better one for my application since the A-bodies are light?

Arthu®

It doesn't really matter anything with RWD and some hp can drift. I work for the postal service I can make their vans drift 3/4 of a roundabout it just lacks power to do more and I lack driving skills. Really the best mod to make a car drift better is large wheels and low profile tires. The flex in high profile tires is enormous and make it less responsible and predictible to drift. After that you could go to stiffening the suspension, etc but I don't think you have the money for that (yet). You really should just save up and get yourself a half decent starting point. A not too rot 73/74 Charger with a big block/automatic are still readily available and cheap. Now there are enough cheap tricks to lower the rear a bit and the front can be lowered by altering the torsion bars. Get some cheap used probably scraped wheels and some low profile tires cheapest you can get (still expensive for larger wheels) the cheapest tires are for one most often the hardest compound and have less grip and are there for easier to drift, besides that you will be going through a couple of them so cheap is good anyways.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

terrible one

Quote from: MassCharger73 on May 14, 2006, 08:52:47 AM
I'll leave the bashing to someone else, there seems to be no lack of willing participants. I dont think either one of those cars is worth the money to tow them home. Keep the LeBaron and drive it to work every day until you can afford a car worthy of repair. :Twocents:

I agree. Those cars are not good candidates for anything but parts.

TheGhost

Quote from: Lightning 06 on May 14, 2006, 01:51:19 PM
well, there was a Plymouth A-body there too, so would that car be a better one for my application since the A-bodies are light?

What kind of Plymouth A body?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Nacho-RT74

both are SEs... 71 and 73 respectivelly.

and both are junk IMHO... only for parts with luck
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Lightning

the Plymouth I was talking about was I believe a '69 or a '70 Scamp (Plymouth's version of the Dart?)  There was also a '65 Barracuda fastback there........but if y'all thought the Chargers were bad, this thing's ten times worse.

here's a pic of the Scamp:

Lightning

there was also a '66 or a '67 Coronet 440:

Lightning

I also found another A-body, this time a Dart

Lightning

there was also a '63(?) Belvedere II 2-door and a '64 or '65 4-door:

Arthu®

Do you want my honest opinion? I think you might be looking in the wrong place for a car. Not saying there aren't out there that are saveable, but most likely the reason they are in a junkyard is that well the name says it all they are junk. Good for parts but nothing more than that. It's time to go scout around town and through the online classifieds for better cars. Take for example this car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Dodge-Charger-400ci-BIG-BLOCK-MOPAR_W0QQitemZ4639991130QQcategoryZ6199QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It might not be close and sure the auction has not ended yet but at least it is a rolling BB B-body. It will most likely go for a about 1k I figure though I have no idea what they are worth. It is just to show you that with a little saving and some smart buying you could have yourself a starting point that with twice as much money could not be accomplished with one of those cars you found in the junkyard.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

TheGhost

If you are REALLY serious about owning a Charger, then here's what you should do.

Since you already have another daily driver type car, sell the LeBaron.  Take the money you get from it, and put it in the bank.  Every paycheck, put a little bit into that fund.  Eventually, you'll have enough to buy a clean, running 3rd gen.  Patience is the key.  Be willing to wait.  Don't just jump on the first Charger you find.

Lightning

well, I thought about it all night, and I'm gonna just drive or race the LeBaron until I wreck it, then by that time I'll be ready for a Charger.

SirNik73

1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

TheGhost

Quote from: SirNik73 on May 15, 2006, 02:16:22 PM
buy something like this

http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/155515688.html

put the 318 outta the Lebaron in it.

I really don't think that's much better than the LeBaron.

SirNik73

1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

MassCharger73

1973 Charger