News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RHD Chargers

Started by Russ_T, May 14, 2006, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger Downunder

Russ t If you looked under the hood of my 70 charger you wouldnt even know its right hand drive nothing is changed under the hood forget moving engines gearboxes and diffs.It realy is so simple in a couple of months ill be taking the dash out and ill post some pics on the cross over shaft and how it was done plus the brake setup its realy simple once you have seen how its done and the good thing is all the steering geometry is as per factory as nothing is changed my booster and steering box is still on the left side.
dont reverse sweep the wipers iv seen so many cars with bad rust problems and shiity work,if you have to just extend the right hand wiper blade so it over sweeps in other words it will sweep obove the roof when fully up.
Yes you will have to relocte dipswitch,brake pedal,gas pedal  and parkbrake plus change the park brake cable to the other side on the diff for it too reach.
Front and rear amber lenses easy to do.
My dash wiring harness had to be extended to reach to the righthand side
My car has power windos so the swithes had to be changed around
Ac heater unit has been changed slightly no air vent on right hand side its been taken off and the round hole in the cowl panel is sealed up.
Front headlights need to be aimed towards the other side you will probly have to buy a new set of lights for this purpose
The good thing about b bodys is you dont have to change the dash pad just either side of the radio.
The hardest part is the dash change over look at my one the guages are all in the original order but the fascia plate has been modified slightly as where it meets the edge towards the door the fascia plate narrows as it is wider in the centre of the car where the radio is plus the glove box will need some work to change around. my conversion was done in 1970 now their is better products and techmology out their im sure you could get a better job done today when mine comes out i will be repainting the plasic dash pieces and redoing the woodgrain.
You will also have to add another door miiror on the right side if you dont have one
If you are going to convert your car to rh drive stay with the original dash setup
It looks really bad in Australia over here when you look inside an American dodge and see the local Austalian dash
I hope this info helps Steve
[/quote]

limey

Listen to the Man, Russty!  ;)

Out of all the speculation and advice...this is the one guy who has the job done...the cross shaft is the way to go.....Doing it the way you are thinking, and you are going to need help and advice from"Rod and Kustom.com" not dodgecharger.com.......as it will be a butcher job..
Just my  :Twocents:..but what do I know?
L
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

451-74Charger

Im a limey, but live in the US now...
My Charger i had 20 years ago was RHD, orange, and apparently was a car used to promote the GOH

Brock Samson

What's a "Lorry"?..  :shruggy:

Russ_T

Thank you for taking the time to write that Charger Downunder... much appreciated.

I'm not going to rule out any options, I just want to find whats involved and weigh everything up :)

The actual job of transmission tunnel move and that isn't as bad as it sounds, and nothing we haven't done before (or rather similar), but it might be more work than we need to do for a tidy solution. No point creating work for myself (or rather for the old boys). Also the linkage option means less of the car is altered and so it'd be easier to return to LHD in the future, that's the most appealing part to me. Although I have drifted down the route of "oh yeh I could drop it and put big drag tyres on it", in which case I can either have it ride around like it's on stilts or raise the axle up into the body, which would mean new transmission tunnel etc anyway. Only thing is the angle on the propshaft might not be too favourable.

I'd greatly appreciate any pics you have nearer the time :) I presume that all of this is neatly hidden behind the dash?

And a lorry is a truck to you I guess..?

Thank you.