News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RHD Chargers

Started by Russ_T, May 14, 2006, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ_T

[Hypothetical] list of things to do:

Remounting of the engine, new mounts.
Relocation of all directly connected ancilleries, exhaust, etc.
Relocation of brake servo/master cylinders/pedal box.
Remounting of gearbox.
Relocation of transmission tunnel and all that's involved (floor pans etc).
Relocation of steering column and revised steering box (and mounts).
Alternative or aftermarket rear axle.
Possible sump clearance to k member issues, revised k member or dry sumping.
Issues with no room for manifold let alone open headers.
Revised interior trim (dash, consoles, seats and mounts, rear view mirror).
Rewiring of relocated electrics (dash etc)
Relocate dipswitch
Reverse windscreen wiper sweep and relocate.
Possible mental problems during and afterwards

Firstly

Chargers are the sex...

I've lusted after one for many years now, and I'm finally in the position where I can think about importing one in the next year (I'm in England). I'd really like a '68 because of the front grill, a '69 because the the rear lights and a '66/'67 for the clocks. So any of the 68/69 bodys would suffice I guess? I notice that the Auzzies seem pretty good at the RHD conversion, and I've looked through various photos.

Anyway...

Does anyone know anything about the conversion please? I have searched the net to no avail.

I think a dash from a different Dodge available in RHD can be used, does anyone know please and how similar are they? If not I will have to spend the next ten years trying to make one :)

Does anyone have any photos of the engine bay post conversion?

Does anyone know of any Aussie (or even South African) Charger forums please?

Anyway beautiful cars, thanks

Russ

limey

Hey Russ..welcome to the site!
I too am in England and drive a '68 Charger most days now..
Can I just ask a question?
Why do you want to have it converted to RHD? It really isn't s big deal driving a LHD car in the UK, you just have to be a bit more careful, thats all. But to be honest, if you are driving an 18ft 2 ton 40 year old musclecar with all the handling of a boat on ice on our UK roads, then careful  is the way to go..
Any questions about Charger ownership in the UK, please feel free to ask. I bought my second one 2 weeks ago, and the whole purchase thing is fresh in my mind..
Take it easy...
Nick (Limey)
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Russ_T

Wahey! :)

Nice one, I hang around at a classic car restorers (mainly into '20s Chevys and old Fords etc) and so got a bit of an American bug from them. They shipped in a couple more cars recently so I'll probably get them to organise it, but how much do you think it'll cost (ball park, all inclusive) to get one over here? And do you get stitched up by import duty?

Are spares available at all here? I see there is a bit on ebay, and I presume someone in this country caters for US car parts (just general service items). I have a bit of a fear that with our weather shipping in wings and stuff could get pricey lol. Are there many water traps on the chargers?

I want to go RHD for over taking, and more importantly to stop me getting in the wrong side of the car all the time ;) I can do the work myself so it's not (hopefully) going to be a huge expense. I have driven LHD, no problem, appreciate that on the Somerset roads I won't be racing anyway, but I only really fancy a RHD one. I'm after a pickup as well (get rid of my car) but all the best ones are LHD again.

Where in the country are you? I'm in Somerset, never seen a charger in real life :( Just lots of times in books/mags/films lol. I was the guy wishing on the Charger in Bullit and hoping McQueen crashed lol. I should attend more American shows but so busy restoring my 240z.

Whats the chances of getting something 'interesting' vin plate wise (like an RT or something), or do you double the money for that?

What in UKP do you think it'll realistically be to get a rough but structurally sound car here and on my drive? I know containers are only about £500 (or they were for the Chevys at the body shop) but I have NO idea how much a Charger will be. Working at the bodyshop I can do all the tidying easily, and I don't mind fitting a new engine, so it's just structure and something thats not going to crab up the road I'm after.

Anyway really pleased that I'm not alone, thanks mate, do you have any pics of your car(s)?

Cheers

Russ_T

Newcastle! *cue crap geordie stereotypical jokes*, long way up from me.

Are there any other limeys on this forum?

My Z gallery in case you are interested, want to sell this one, buy a black one, then get a black charger (*yawn I know*), new black motorbike, garage sorted :)

http://www.zclub.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1

limey

Pics of mine: click here..
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13303.0.html

Now then... I have looked into importing a charger, but you get stung big time with taxes. You get the same car levy of 10% value taxation as you would importing a brand new pickup.

On top of this you pay 17.5% VAT on the full price of the car on the dock. So you take the price of your car, add $800 to$1000 for shipping to the nearest US port. A collection charge of $500 by the US agent. Shipping and insurance about $1500 dollars All of these costs are included when HM customs and excise calculate the Car Levy and VAT. On top of this you have £250 dock receiving cost. Then you will have to pay for the car to go through its SVA homologation work, so that it conforms with all the rules regarding direction indicators etc and other modifications - about £300, then you have to pay for it to be registered...which I think is about £100. Basically, take the cost of your car and add a good 35-40% of its value. And don't forget the transport and shipping cost will still be as high, even if you import a clunker which needs a lot of work.
Thats why I have bought both mine from someone who has paid to import the car - whenthe taxes were easier! Most of the guys on this site are quite surprised by the prices we have to pay for Chargers over here, because even the values are skyrocketing, it is obviously a lot easier to buy a nice car in the states, but the import costs are a lot.

Spares...from my experience ther is no problem with service items, and engine rebuild components, but Body panels, trim, interior, model specific parts will all have to be shipped from the US. There are a very few bits on UK ebay... Oh and more good news, we have to pay import tax on the parts as well as the high shipping costs. Example...if you buy new rear quarters..they are about 54" long and made of steel, they have to be carried by air so they cost a fortune. When they land, you pay tax on the lot...shipping included. If you get a car to restore, you will almost certainly have to replace the rear quarter skins by the way...

Water traps...yep, like most older cars....the weather seals leak or are missing, water gets into the trunk and sits there and rots the trunk floor and rear frame rails out. It finds a level in the passenger compartment floor and rots that out. It gets under the rear window and rots the rear deck and the sail panels (the flying buttress bits).

I think the RHD conversion is optimistic. I think there was a promo RHD car made....but I could be wrong. Chargers weren't exported to the UK or Australia, so there were never any original parts. The Australians had their own "Valiant Charger" which was a chrysler, with Chrysler running gear etc, but it isn't a Charger as we know it...Also, getting hold of replacement LHD dashes and Dash pads/components is a difficult and expensive business, so if you want to get one to chop up, you better be very sure about it.. ;D

As for money...I saw a rough one go on ebay with a 318 engine for about £8500 recently. At the other end of the scale I saw an RT, numbers matching go for £46000. A non original 440 engine car are fetching about £15-18k. There is one on Ebay at the moment that I very nearly bought in a private sale. It is starting at £10000, but I know the guy needs to get £12k for it. I tlooks pretty honest and solid, need some work, but definitely drivable. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4640304861&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
As far as working out the import cost you will have to look at various examples in the states and add on the 35% then convert to sterling.

And yes there are a few other "limeys" on here. Many of them with more experience of importing than me.

Sorry if some of this seems negative...but typically, when it comes to having your a$$ taxed off by the government...things end up negative.
Good luck, and find out as much as you can..here is a brilliant place to start, but also check out the MMA (Mopar Muscle Association) UK.
Cheers,
Nick (Limey)

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Russ_T

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your help, your car looks very nice as well :D

I think I'll just smuggle one in instead then! That's what we usually do *cough*, you can fit a lot in a container. Nah I'm not sure how they get around it, I think they usually write the value down as about $1000... Also I'm pretty sure that vehicles that are pre '94 don't need an SVA test? Something like that.

Anyway I'll start reading some more. I presume all these http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8469.0.html are the Chryslers you mention, and therefor very different? On the surface the look the same to me, maybe I should just go for one of those? Anyway I'll read up on them as well.

Thanks again

Russ

limey

Quote from: Russ_T on May 15, 2006, 01:24:05 AM
I presume all these http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8469.0.html are the Chryslers you mention, and therefor very different? On the surface the look the same to me, maybe I should just go for one of those? Anyway I'll read up on them as well.

Well, Russ that's a new one on me! ;) I didn't think there were any export RHD models made of the 2nd Generation Charger, but there's definitely one in these pics.

As for how easy they are to convert......getting hold of the dash is going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack....although you could always fabricate a custom dash if you were that bothered....but really driving on the left is no sweat....with those huge Sail panels in  your rear quarter vision you are going to have to look over your shoulder when overtaking anyway.

As far as the SVA. In some ways, I think you are right. obviously a new car needs substantial mods to get its SVA license over here, but you still need quite a bit done to your classic Mopar for it to be road legal. There are no indicators on the tail panel for a start., and also you need a fog light.etc. There are many ways to do this, but ideally you are looking for the least invasive way..

Cheers Russ - see ya
Limey

AWSOM50

I'm in England and have a 68.  I bought it as an MMA club sale.  You should join up if you haven't already.

Personally I would think a RHD would take away some of the coolness of having an american musclecar.  Keep it LHD.

There is a SWEET 440 R/T general lee on ebay at the moment that will probably go for about 17k.

In england you see the occassional charger at car shows, and a lot at Mopar shows.  Actually I saw one being towed around slough the other day.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

limey

Quote from: AWSOM50 on May 15, 2006, 02:55:47 AM
I'm in England and have a 68.  I bought it as an MMA club sale.  You should join up if you haven't already.

Personally I would think a RHD would take away some of the coolness of having an american musclecar.  Keep it LHD.

There is a SWEET 440 R/T general lee on ebay at the moment that will probably go for about 17k.

Awesom50 - you are right on all those points, IMO...
That General is nice, needs a little work on the interior and it is actually a 70 with modified front end and tail light panel...if that sort of thing  bothers you...seems quite an honest car though....
Its rare to have two chargers on Ebay at once...
L

Jon Smith

loads of chargers over here if you know where to look ;) maybe its the events i go to but its a long time since i've been to a car show and not seen one

i agree with awsom50 joining the mma would be a good start

http://www.mopartalk.co.uk/mopartalk/

i'd keep it LHD but if you're determined i've seen pics of some aussie conversions that looked factory so the parts might be availiable there
I think a lot of the aussies keep them LHD these days as they're old enough not to need converting now

limey

Jon, did the Aussie laws require the conversion?
Also do you know if the 2nd gens were imported there and converted piecemeal as they were/are here or did Chrysler actually export them as a RHD model from Hamtramck?

Just want to clear it up in my head, having given Russ duff information... :-[
Cheers,
Limey ;)

Jon Smith

aussie laws require a conversion up to a certain age, chargers are old enough now to not need it but any that were imported there years ago will be converted, it was done over there, there are no factory RHD chargers(at least i think thats how it is someone will no doubt chip in and correct me now ;D)

limey

That's what i thought too...Bearing in mind the difficulties getting hold of a good replacement LHD dash, do you think there is much chance of Russ getting a decent RHD one....?
L

Jon Smith

:shruggy:
would probably need deep pockets

Russ_T

I think I'm going to be saving a while longer anyway, and I'm actively looking for a better paid job now :)

Not into General Lees, never watched DOH before for a start :)

Definately going for a RHD, a LHD doesn't really appeal to me. No one needs to tell me there is nothing wrong with a LHD car, I know, I've driven them, but you STILL can't see past a line of traffic if you're sat on the wrong side, and how the hell do you order a McDonalds drive through? ;) The actual work of fog lights, indicators, and I imagine the conversion shouldn't be any bother, the car restorers I hang out hand beat panels and all sorts, they have the skills even if I don't.

AFAIK there was never a RHD Charger from the factory, I *think* that maybe what we have here are LHD chargers with Valian dashes?? I know nothing though so that might not even make sense ;)

I'll join up to the MMA today.

Thanks for your help :)

limey

Quote from: Russ_T on May 15, 2006, 04:22:44 AM

I'll join up to the MMA today.

Best thing you can do...it means you can actually physically meet guy (and girls) near you and see and get a feel of a Charger in the flesh. Its a shock when you see now big it is for the first time. ;D
L

Russ_T

:D Yes I imagine they are mahoosive :) We have loads of 'tanks' at the bodyshop though, big straight 8 engines, lovely :D Don't fit too well in carparks or on the back roads but at least it's more interesting than a Mondeo or similar.

I *would* join the MMA but there is no way to do it from the website, the paypal page (http://www.mopartalk.co.uk/connected/index.php?page=4) doesn't have any paypal links on it for a start.

Nevermind, I have e-mailed the site admin.

Thanks

Jon Smith

limey

Quote from: Russ_T on May 15, 2006, 04:42:51 AM
:D Yes I imagine they are mahoosive :) We have loads of 'tanks' at the bodyshop though, big straight 8 engines, lovely :D Don't fit too well in carparks or on the back roads but at least it's more interesting than a Mondeo or similar.

I *would* join the MMA but there is no way to do it from the website, the paypal page (http://www.mopartalk.co.uk/connected/index.php?page=4) doesn't have any paypal links on it for a start.

Nevermind, I have e-mailed the site admin.

Thanks

Hey Russ..I've just taken a look at the site. If you send a paypal payment of £23 (£22 membership plus £1 Paypal fee) to:
mma@moparuk.com

And include the following info (from the membership form) except for the vehicle info...in the NOTES section of the Paypal payment form, it should work.

Name: 
Address:
Post Code:
Telephone:
Email:
Do you own a vehicle at present?

If yes please fill in your vehicle details for our register:
Make:
Model: 
Engine size: 
Reg No:
Gearbox: Auto/Manual 
Year:
Colour: 
VIN:
Last change of keeper:
No. of previous owners:
Since:
Any other information i.e. special options, colour changes, modifications, notable history, date of import to UK, magazine feature car, etc. ________________________________________________ 
(If you have more than one vehicle please add details on reverse or on another piece of paper)
Important: Individual member & car details are strictly confidential and will definitely not be given to anyone outside of the Mopar Muscle Association UK without further permission.

Permission for telephone number to be passed on to Area Reps & other MMA members YES/NO                   
Members agree to abide by the rules of the Association. Please sign to confirm you have read these rules and agree to abide by them     

Signature________   

Hope this helps, if not if you go onto the members section you can download a hard copy, fill it in and sign it, write the cheque and send it via snail mail.....

Limey

charger Downunder

I own a 70 RT SE YO9 EXPORT car. The original owner walked into a chrysler dealership in Mudgee Australia and ordered it new in 1970.Chrysler Australia imported it for him and delivered it to him in right hand drive form. When the cars came to Australia they where all left hand drive and chrysler contracted the job out to convert them to RH drive i have seen others here in Australia whith very simmilar conversions.
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=2536&highlight=

The coversion isnt too hard when you look at it.
Dash just moved across guages arnt reversed
Brakes and steering box still on the original side.
Im lucky my wipers havent been changed to opposit sweep ive seen this done and years latter rust issues.
My rear reversing lights have amber bulbs for blinkers.
Under the dash area i have a cross over conversion where the steering colum comes through on the left side their is a right angle gear box attached to a rod to the right hand side lower steering colum.
For the brakes there is a rod that goes across to the other side
when i take my dash appart to get to my heater core ill get you some pics

Steve
[/quote]

Russ_T

Nice looking Charger :)

When you say dash just moved across, how does that work? I imagine I could find a dash from another RHD car, but I really fancied the 67 clocks so something that used those would be a bonus. Anyway not important.

Nice idea on the reversing lights :)

Pics would be appreciated, although I don't think I'd want to go that route, but at least I'd get a better idea.

Anyone know if they ever produced a RHD B body of any model?

Thanks again

JMF

Yeah i'm in England and I drive 2 LHD Mustangs, LHD is all part of the experience, it's not that big a deal, like Limey said just be careful, it can be tricky if you are overtaking a lorry or whatever on a road

limey

To be honest it has only ever been a problem for me once... I was driving my old Charger very shortly after I got it about 6 years ago. I was stuck behind a tractor with tyres the size of a one story building. There was a queue of traffic behind me, waiting to get past on this winding country road. I was stuck for 3 miles. I couldn't see a damn thing....but that has been the only time that driving a left hooker has been anything more than a secondary check over my right shoulder before i overtake.
The problem with changing over, apart from the awkwardness of getting the parts, is the cost. If it costs, say £2000 of parts and shipping, you have to ask yourself if you wouldn't rather get a bigger engine, numbers matching, or just a car that is straighter bodywise....I don't know....if money is not an issue, go for it, but otherwise, there will be trade-offs. Also. Converting your car will hit the value....even though it is more practical etc, most UK Mopar fans would not buy a car that had been converted. So you would have to keep all the original parts and convert it back to realise your investment.
L

sean68charger

I live in wales, and have a black 68 R/T  the roads here are very similar to the ones where you live and left hand drive is not a problem, just fit a passenger wing mirror, leave pleanty of room from the car in front as the power will soon make up the difference when overtaking :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

Russ_T

Guys, you can't shake me lol.

Although once I have one I may re-evaluate. The cost should be about £0 as the work I can do myself, apart from (depending on how it all works out) a few donor parts. And yes I'd plan to do it so my 'handiwork' was completely reversible. The beauty part is a v8 is fairly symetrical, and so you 'shouldn't' have issues where changing sides causes the steering to foul the exhaust manifold, it's the same either side (in theory).

What I need to find is if a RHD B-body car was produced, then I guess I can rob parts from that for use? (steering rack etc).

Anyway I need to find the money for one still, probably going to need to spend more than I first thought.