News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger acquisition, version 2.0

Started by smithenhiven, August 24, 2019, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithenhiven

As some of you may recall, in the spring of 2016, I bought my 70 Charger R/T out of Vancouver B.C. Canada, and drove the car nearly 3000 miles home to Pittsburgh PA.

Since purchasing the R/T, I've just maintained it's mostly stock form, fixed the little quirks if it developed any issues, basically just enjoyed it as an excellent running fair weather weekend car.  It still puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.

But as much as I love that car, it falls short on some of the things I really wish I had in a Charger.  Namely a manual trans, and a beefed up high HP engine.  Could I add those things to my car, sure.  But then I feel like I'd be butchering a basically stock numbers matching car, while jeopardizing it's future value and collectability.  I have no plans to sell my current Charger, but still, you never know what the future holds.

So what can a man do in this situation?  Buy another Charger of course.  Enter the 70 500.  Thankfully it's not 3000 miles away this time, it's actually in the same state, a 6.5 hour drive from Pittsburgh to around the Philly area, I can make it out and back in a day.

It's a non-running project car that appears to be in half decent shape body wise, the 383 is already out, and I doubt it will ever go back in.  My plans are to manual swap it with a Tremec 5 or 6 speed, behind a nicely built 440, or perhaps 426 if I can find an affordable block.  I'd like to do a color change on it, as I'm not a fan of Orange over Orange, but who knows, maybe all that orange will grow on me.

Here's a few pics, I'll post more when I pick the car up next week.

b5blue

smithenhiven

Underneath is not the greatest, its gonna need some patches in the floors and trunk, and a frame spot or two, but certainly not the worst Ive ever seen.

moparfan53

Looks like a good find.  :2thumbs:  If I am reading the fender tag correctly, it has a very early SPD, August 5. I wonder what the RH mirror is from?  ;D

:cheers:

will

I like it. Different wheels on either side, looks like two different cars.

AKcharger

Kern Dog

Great score. What did you end up paying for it?
I bought a '70 Charger 500 in the same FK5 color. MIne needs to have the RF frame rail straightened and the firewall straightened out a bit. I paid $5000 for a roller with the original engine, NON original trans. Solid floors inside but will need a trunk floor. 8 1/4" axle!

smithenhiven

Not a bad score yourself Kern Dog.

I'm giving $7500 for it.  The original 383 is included, its out of the car and disassembled, also has the original 727.  Not sure what I'll do with the drivetrain, maybe sell it if I can get a few bucks out of it, but I'll probably end up keeping it just because its original to the car.

First order of business when I get it home, its giving up the 8 track to the R/T, lol.  My R/T is supposed to have an 8 track, but wound up with only a thumb wheel AM radio at some point in its life.

Kern Dog

Cool deal. I think if yours is straight and true, your repairs will be easier than mine. I'd rather patch floors than straighten a frame!
Nice grille in that one. I got lucky with that too. Your fenders look nicer than mine do.
I shake my head at the prices of these even as projects! I paid $1700 for my first '70 I bought in 2000 and it ran and drove quite well. The money I spent on this one would have been more if I didn't know the guy. I've known him about 10 years or so and have done favors for him. (Not sexual)  :smilielol:

smithenhiven

Got the car home today.  Here's a pic of it's 20+ year hibernation spot, only pushed out on the rare occasion when the previous owner needed to rearrange things in his garage.

smithenhiven

Loading this car was a huge pain in the @$$.  The seller told me it rolled just fine (apparently because last time he rolled it out several years ago, it moved just fine).  Well, it had two flats in the rear which would not hold air, and the passenger front was frozen. 

smithenhiven

Finally home, dragging the car off the trailer was a breeze with the tractor.  And here's the pair of 70's. 

Kern Dog

That is GREAT ! The red one looks great with the road wheels.  :2thumbs:

billssuperbird

Looks nice I live in the North hills maybe someday I'll see you at a car cruise

smithenhiven

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 01, 2019, 10:53:18 PM

Thanks man, yeah I think Magnum 500s are the best wheels for a Charger, I'll be looking for another set for this new Charger.  Did you get your project home yet?

smithenhiven

Quote from: billssuperbird on September 02, 2019, 07:39:54 AM
Looks nice I live in the North hills maybe someday I'll see you at a car cruise

Thanks, I live in Beaver County, would be cool to meet ya one day.

Kern Dog

Quote from: smithenhiven on September 02, 2019, 08:27:56 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on September 01, 2019, 10:53:18 PM

Thanks man, yeah I think Magnum 500s are the best wheels for a Charger, I'll be looking for another set for this new Charger.  Did you get your project home yet?
I should be able to move it this week. Yours sure looks nicer than mine.

bigdsul

Quote from: smithenhiven on August 24, 2019, 10:11:44 AM
As some of you may recall, in the spring of 2016, I bought my 70 Charger R/T out of Vancouver B.C. Canada, and drove the car nearly 3000 miles home to Pittsburgh PA.

Since purchasing the R/T, I've just maintained it's mostly stock form, fixed the little quirks if it developed any issues, basically just enjoyed it as an excellent running fair weather weekend car.  It still puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.

But as much as I love that car, it falls short on some of the things I really wish I had in a Charger.  Namely a manual trans, and a beefed up high HP engine.  Could I add those things to my car, sure.  But then I feel like I'd be butchering a basically stock numbers matching car, while jeopardizing it's future value and collectability.  I have no plans to sell my current Charger, but still, you never know what the future holds.

So what can a man do in this situation?  Buy another Charger of course.  Enter the 70 500.  Thankfully it's not 3000 miles away this time, it's actually in the same state, a 6.5 hour drive from Pittsburgh to around the Philly area, I can make it out and back in a day.

It's a non-running project car that appears to be in half decent shape body wise, the 383 is already out, and I doubt it will ever go back in.  My plans are to manual swap it with a Tremec 5 or 6 speed, behind a nicely built 440, or perhaps 426 if I can find an affordable block.  I'd like to do a color change on it, as I'm not a fan of Orange over Orange, but who knows, maybe all that orange will grow on me.

Here's a few pics, I'll post more when I pick the car up next week.

That is an awesome find! Where did you find the car posted for sale? As anything remotely close to that car is going for more than double the price online!

Challenger340

I think you did very well for the money  :2thumbs: depending of course on just how bad an issue patching the rust in Trunk and Frame Rails becomes ?
Nonetheless,
and again here, far worse cars go for FAR more Money !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

smithenhiven

Quote from: bigdsul on September 04, 2019, 12:53:33 PM
Quote from: smithenhiven on August 24, 2019, 10:11:44 AM

That is an awesome find! Where did you find the car posted for sale? As anything remotely close to that car is going for more than double the price online!

It was listed for sale on the 1970 Charger Registry website. 

Dano 1

Looks like a good score for the money to me. Those pictures of loading it up on the Uhaul trailer brought me right back to the fiasco I dealt with loading mine the exact same way. Good luck with the car!  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

ACUDANUT

Wow. a hell of a good deal. Drop in a engine and drive it as is.

Nacho-RT74

What I love most, the interior color!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

smithenhiven

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 04, 2019, 03:53:44 PM
Wow. a hell of a good deal. Drop in a engine and drive it as is.

Funny you should say that, I found someone local to me selling a 383 out of a roadrunner, it's supposed to run (its one of those "ran-when-pulled" situations).  Im thinking about grabbing it up, and seeing if I can make this car run on the cheap, at least for the time being while I source the drivetrain I'll enviabley end up using.