News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thermostat question

Started by THE COLONEL, June 27, 2019, 04:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

Hey guys, I'm in the process of changing the thermostat in my charger and I have cleaned both housings off, put the new seal on, with the new thermostat and it is not sealing is there something I am overlooking?
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

ht4spd307

lightly smear with silicon on both sides of the gasket put it on the engine hand tight wait about 1/2 hour then tighten with a spanner or wrench

A383Wing

the housing is probably warped.....you can get a new one at most local auto part stores

Bryan

THE COLONEL

Thanks guys.  Problem is solved.  It was my stupidity.  I had the seal and thermostat wrong.  I didn't out the thermostat down first then the seal.  Stupid is as stupid does. Lol.......but that didn't seem to fix my issue.  I still seam to be getting hot by the guage, but not sure if the guage is wrong in the car, or if I really am getting too hot.  My car was originally an air-conditioned car so I have the 26 inch radiator on it, and with a 318 and a 26-inch radiator I don't see possibly how I could really be overheating?
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

70 sublime

Air condition  water pumps have a different number of fins on the pump compared to regular pump
Has something to do with the pulley sizes

Do you have an A/C water pump but using regular pulleys ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

moparfan

I cleaned the threads and bolt holes had crap in the bottom  that worked for me.

TexasStroker

Is it a factory, or aftermarket gauge?  Both can go bad and read incorrectly.

If you've got a temperature gun you can compare readings...some multimeters will read temps.  Worse come to worse, you can use a candy thermometer for about $10.

Fwiw, I have had several AutoGauge and Sunpro gauges read way off after very little use.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

hemigeno

I know it's a pain to pull it all apart again, but actually check the thermostat in a pan of water on the stove too.  I have first-hand experience with junk-right-from-the-box thermostats.  More than a few of them will not open all the way up - ever, much less at 180*-190*.  That applies even to aftermarket "Hi-Flow" thermostats.

:Twocents:

maxwellwedge

Check to see if the water is circulating with the rad cap off. Also, you may have a big as* air bubble in the system not letting you fill it completely.
A/C or non A/C water pump shouldn't cause a problem with a 318 and the big rad....as long as it's moving the water.
Geno is 100% right on the t-stat. There are a lot of out of spec ones out there.

Bronzedodge

All the aftermarket thermostats are wrong.  You need a high flow - which, in 67, was standard flow.  Don't get the Mr Gasket one, have to get the expensive one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-305?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmNzoBRBOEiwAr2V27XuGqRXOxTrBeTFyriNiBFrDa3Bwcm_J3aahtthbKSCrAElP-MLuKxoC7tkQAvD_BwE
Mopar forever!