News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black 68 charger with red interior

Started by Grease, June 22, 2019, 04:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grease

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but have been a big mopar enthusiast for years. I have owned several chargers ranging from 68-72, but I've purchased one recently that is particularly unique. It is a factory black 68, vinyl top delete with red interior, and an H code 383 4 barrel that is matching to the car. I also have the build sheet and fender tag. trans is a 727 auto on the column. Is there any way to break down how many black/red  hardtops were made that year? I know it's rare but would be cool if I had a ballpark number. Thanks!!

smithenhiven

Hello and welcome.  I cant speak as to numbers and rarity, but it sounds like a cool car, would love to see some pictures of it.

Troy

Not many! Black was one of the lowest produced colors. Most examples floating around have black interiors. One that I had came with a white interior and I have not seen another. There's not really a conclusive way to break it down that far though as the records don't exist.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mr. hemi

My very first car as a teenager was a 1968 Coronet 500, 383 4spd. car. Black, with red interior. Naturally, I wish I still had it.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Challenger340

Quote from: Troy on June 22, 2019, 10:01:06 PM
Not many! Black was one of the lowest produced colors. Most examples floating around have black interiors. One that I had came with a white interior and I have not seen another. There's not really a conclusive way to break it down that far though as the records don't exist.

Troy

Curious about "Black was one of the lowest produced colors" ?

I know that no factory records exist anymore,
just wondering if there is there anything at all... or anybody has done any work since in support of a numerical colors breakdown ? registries ?

BTW,
Black W/Red has got to be a very rare combo for sure ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

XS29LA47V21

Troy

LOL.... a complete wag perhaps or perspective is <20% of the production number of black 69s with red interior.... :shruggy:

Cool car by the way (assuming it is that ebay car).  Congrats

Troy

Quote from: Challenger340 on June 24, 2019, 10:05:41 AM

Troy

Curious about "Black was one of the lowest produced colors" ?

I know that no factory records exist anymore,
just wondering if there is there anything at all... or anybody has done any work since in support of a numerical colors breakdown ? registries ?

BTW,
Black W/Red has got to be a very rare combo for sure ?
Well, even if there aren't exact numbers... the colors that were desirable in 1968 are not what people want today (black, red, blue). Lots of "earth tones"! One of the first years I went to the Mopar Nationals (for example), there were 17 black 68 Chargers - none of them original according to the fender tags. About half were some shade of green (but not GG1 racing green) and the bulk of the rest were some shade of brown (tan, bronze, gold) and one yellow. The spring colors (GG1 green and 331 red) would naturally have lower production numbers due to late availability and Silver was an extra cost deal (but also not very popular then). I have owned black, bright blue, and medium bronze metallic but also two gold and one green so I feel pretty lucky to have found something other than all green (like my parts collection). ;) For interiors, I believe you could get black or white in just about any exterior color. The green interiors were often paired with green exteriors and blue with blue. The 1968 red interior was fairly dark and would not have been recommended for most earth tone or blue exteriors (maybe only silver, burgundy, red, black, white). A large percentage of the interior parts I see for sale are black or green. There were also a pile of specialty interiors for 1968 and I have only seen 1 or 2 in real life (like white with green inserts in the seat pleats).

Troy

TiMopar

Regarding that e-bay car; I may be in the minority, but I really like those body-side protection moldings on it. Very cool car.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: TiMopar on June 26, 2019, 07:53:26 AM
Regarding that e-bay car; I may be in the minority, but I really like those body-side protection moldings on it. Very cool car.

Grease

It's that same car that was on eBay.  It's in remarkable shape, I've had a lot of chargers, this is the most original car I've found. The body mouldings on the side were added, I've already taken them off and started restoring the car

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Grease on June 26, 2019, 09:39:23 AM
The body mouldings on the side were added, I've already taken them off and started restoring the car

TiMopar

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 26, 2019, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: TiMopar on June 26, 2019, 07:53:26 AM

Just expressing an opinion, no need for the mockery, this isn't 'Yellowbullet'. If the the moulding were added OP, by all means remove them : )) Good luck with the car.

jefferson

Troy, great info thanks for that. I own a blue RT QQ1 68 charger. Original colour according to the fender tag, do you know if qq1 blue was a rare option in 68?

Chad L. Magee

I have a 1968 Charger 383-2bbl. auto, that was BB1 black (no vinyl top) and a 6Y gold interior.  It had air conditioning, tinted glass, power brakes, AM radio and 26" radiator as options per the fender tag.  I understand needing the air conditioning and tinted windows with the black exterior paint, but why the gold interior?  I would have optioned it in black....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

F8-4life

That is a cool car with the original black paint ilke that. Shame the front end got damaged.

Kern Dog

Quote from: TiMopar on June 27, 2019, 06:55:03 AM

Just expressing an opinion, no need for the mockery, this isn't 'Yellowbullet'. If the the moulding were added OP, by all means remove them : )) Good luck with the car.
Christ....No need to be such a wuss about it.  I guess you have ZERO sense of humor ? No male friends that know how to joke and mess around?

TiMopar

Name calling now? Class. It's true I'm not noted for my sense of humour, but at least I know better than to waste my time trading insults with total strangers on the internet. Have a nice day.

cbrestorations

Blah blah blah blah...and still no pics???

70 sublime

Does a red interior car come with a red head liner or white  ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

6bblgt

6bblgt

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 27, 2019, 03:09:52 PM
I have a 1968 Charger 383-2bbl. auto, that was BB1 black (no vinyl top) and a 6Y gold interior.  It had air conditioning, tinted glass, power brakes, AM radio and 26" radiator as options per the fender tag.  I understand needing the air conditioning and tinted windows with the black exterior paint, but why the gold interior?  I would have optioned it in black....

it's all about the heat ..... an all black car can get extremely HOT in the warmer climate parts of the US (even with A/C)
if an individual desires a black car for looks or image  :coolgleamA: a non-black interior could be an attempt to make the car tolerable in those climates
while "WHITE" interiors are often deemed impossible to keep clean on a daily driver that leaves "GOLD" as the lightest shade available for a Charger's interior

Troy

Quote from: jefferson on June 27, 2019, 07:09:35 AM
Troy, great info thanks for that. I own a blue RT QQ1 68 charger. Original colour according to the fender tag, do you know if qq1 blue was a rare option in 68?

It's not a common color. I currently have a QQ1 R/T 4-speed. I only know of a few more in that color.

Troy

cavemanno1

Quote from: Troy on July 04, 2019, 06:13:49 PM
Quote from: jefferson on June 27, 2019, 07:09:35 AM

It's not a common color. I currently have a QQ1 R/T 4-speed. I only know of a few more in that color.

Troy

How common colour was the LL1 with '68 R/T 4 speed?

6bblgt

a small sampling of 306 * 1968 Chargers (0.3% of 96,108 total built)

red - PP1 - 33
med. gold met. - JJ1 - 33
bright blue met. - QQ1 - 25
racing green met. - GG1 - 25
light green met. - FF1 - 22

yellow - SS1 - 20
med. green met. - TT1 - 18
black - BB1 - 17 (one with red interior)
white - WW1 - 16
bronze met. - MM1 - 15

med. turquoise met. - LL1 - 13
burgundy met. - RR1 - 13
silver met. - AA1 - 12
bright red - 331 - 10
special order - 999 - 10

beige - XX1 - 7
light blue met. - UU1 - 7
dark green met. - 661 - 4
dark blue met. - EE1 - 4
med. tan met. - YY1 - 2

gtx6970

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 06, 2019, 12:50:43 AM
a small sampling of 306 * 1968 Chargers (0.3% of 96,108 total built)

red - PP1 - 33
med. gold met. - JJ1 - 33
bright blue met. - QQ1 - 25
racing green met. - GG1 - 25
light green met. - FF1 - 22

yellow - SS1 - 20
med. green met. - TT1 - 18
black - BB1 - 17 (one with red interior)
white - WW1 - 16
bronze met. - MM1 - 15

med. turquoise met. - LL1 - 13
burgundy met. - RR1 - 13
silver met. - AA1 - 12
bright red - 331 - 10
special order - 999 - 10

beige - XX1 - 7
light blue met. - UU1 - 7
dark green met. - 661 - 4
dark blue met. - EE1 - 4
med. tan met. - YY1 - 2

Dan,
do you have this car I did a couple years ago as one of your listed EE1 cars?
Car didn't have a fender tag , but I assure you its the cars original color.

original EE1 dark blue, black interior, 440 4 spd console, 3.54 dana. manual steering and manual drum brakes, Sorry, dont know the original stripe color if it had one

now white inter, power str and disc brakes.

6bblgt

no it's not one of the EE1 cars referenced above
If you showed the VIN during its restoration I may have it simply recorded with dkblu for the color (1 of the 4 is a EE1/C6W HEMI 4-speed R/T)