News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage Nascar Window Net

Started by nitrometal, February 22, 2008, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrometal

I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Aero426

Based on knowing the high bidder and his personal knowledge of vintage NASCAR, it has to be real.   

I believe some of the early window nets on Petty's cars were actually made of metal.    A Holman-Moody net like this would generate some questions on a Mopar.   And it's too valuable to cut the tag off!   Cool piece.   

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Carl1

Don't worry that it's from Holman Moody. By that time they were mainly a Parts Supplier, and made many items for the teams. I'd bet that every car had something from HM on it

Aero426

Quote from: Carl1 on February 22, 2008, 10:19:39 AM
Don't worry that it's from Holman Moody. By that time they were mainly a Parts Supplier, and made many items for the teams. I'd bet that every car had something from HM on it
Starting in 1971, I'd agree that you'd see more H-M badged parts on various cars.     For a 1970 Petty car, that net is not accurate.    Assuming he wants a window net for his Petty clone,  a generic net would be the way to go.   

Here is sample of Petty's 1971 net. 

Until June of 1970, there were no window nets.    I don't have any photos handy from mid 1970-on,  so I'm not sure if Petty ran the metal net the rest of that season, or not.  

nitrometal

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 22, 2008, 09:39:05 AM
Based on knowing the high bidder and his personal knowledge of vintage NASCAR, it has to be real.   

Doug,
You mention that you know the bidder, is he a collector of vintage Nascar?  Or does he have to have the authentic parts for his car?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Carl1

Who said anything about a Petty replica? Sorry if I missed something. We got surplus nylon webbing material from Earl's supply in Hawthorne Ca and made our own, as everybody did before places like HM, and Banjo Mathews started selling them.

Aero426

Quote from: nitrometal on February 22, 2008, 04:55:08 PM
Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 22, 2008, 09:39:05 AM

Doug,
You mention that you know the bidder, is he a collector of vintage Nascar?  Or does he have to have the authentic parts for his car?

The high bidder at the time was John Craft.   John has an exciting collection of vintage NASCAR goodies.    He has authored several books on vintage NASCAR.   I would recommend "Anatomy and Development of the Stock Car" from 1993.  Although it is out of print, you can get that on Amazon pretty cheap and it has a lot of good general information. 

If you were to cut John, he would bleed Ford blue.  But he is a true student of all things vintage NASCAR.      He also owns Fred Lorenzen's  1965 Daytona winning car, and just bought a 64 Ford H-M car project (real rough - been in the field for 40 years).    He built a full race Cale Yarborough Spoiler II tribute car - Boss 429, the whole deal,  but has sold it within the last year or so.  No real race Spoiler II's are known to exist in their original configuration.    John's Cyclone was built from a backmarker Cyclone race car with little race history, and lots of NOS parts. 

hemigeno

Quote from: Carl1 on February 22, 2008, 05:14:58 PM
Who said anything about a Petty replica? Sorry if I missed something.

Carl,

The reason Doug inferred the Petty replica is the fact that the guy who started this thread (nitrometal) was the winner of the SueBee Honey contest a few years ago - and was given a Petty replica Superbird.  Here's the thread with some of the gory details:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13509.0/all.html