News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can anyone explain VON numbers for dummies ? or a link ?

Started by Challenger340, March 25, 2019, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Like the title says ?
Curious about 2 things for sure,
1.) When did they start/switchover to 1969 Models from 1968's on the line if anyone knows ?
and,
2.) earliest dates associated with corresponding low VON's in 1969 ? 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

6bblgt

problem is, both of your questions have little or nothing to do with VONs (Vehicle Order Numbers) :shruggy: SPD (Scheduled Production Date)

best I can do is "ballpark"
at the end of the '68 model year, Chrysler Corp. was building Chargers at 2 plants Hamtramck (B) & St. Louis (G)

Hamtramck "scheduled" cars at least 'til 710 (Wednesday July 10, 1968) cars may have been built a few days later
St. Louis "scheduled" cars at least 'til 715 (Monday July 15, 1968) cars may have been built a few days later

1969 Hamtramck
pre-production "PILOT" cars were assigned a SPD of 728 (Sunday July 28, 1968) but were already built
announcement show "PROMO" cars were assigned a SPD of 801 (Thursday August 1, 1968) but were built later during the month of August
filling the production line probably started around 805 (Monday August 5, 1968) with completed cars by the end of the week or early the following week

1969 St. Louis
pre-production "PILOT" cars were assigned a SPD of 714 (Sunday July 14, 1968) but were already built
announcement show "PROMO" cars were assigned a SPD of 801 (Thursday August 1, 1968) but were built later during the month of August
filling the production line probably started around 805 (Monday August 5, 1968) with completed cars by the end of the week or early the following week

1969 Chrysler Corp. automobiles officially went "ON-SALE" 919 (Thursday September 19. 1968)

if anyone can provide any additional clarity - I'd love to see it  :2thumbs:

6bblgt

VONs started on an order form: at Chrysler, at a dealership, or anywhere that sold/ordered Chrysler Vehicles

"low" or "high" VONs don't have a correlation with early or late production

most "SPECIAL" cars have VONs starting with "9": 500s, Daytonas, sunroof, special order paint, etc.

orders for CANADA start with a "B" & there are a number of other specialized VONs: fleet, export, company car, etc.

here's a partial '70 Charger order form with the VON in the upper right "020226" - it's where a specific car gets started before it is assigned a VIN

Challenger340

Thanks so much, I appreciate your taking the time to fill in some blanks for me  :2thumbs:

Not surprising my questions make no sense !
because I really don't understand that portion of my Broadcast sheet around sequence, date and VON numbers at all ?  So trying to educate myself.

Ours is a "Canadian" Charger, but strangely Y14 not Y07 as most literature indicates for Canuck bound vehicles ?
and,
it seems to be missing also the "B" starting the VON for Canadian vehicles ?

For a "Canadian" ordered  car ? It just seems to be missing any common identifiers as such,
B-Sheet just says SPD of B23 followed by 200xxx VON  with Y14 Sales Code.
same on Fender Tag B23 200xxx

Maybe a U.S. Car re-routed to Canaduh ?

66FBCharger

On the order form, what does the RED RG printed to the left of some of the sales codes mean?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

6bblgt

"Challenger340" sounds like your car was US spec'd when new

RG = Radio Group (A04)

John_Kunkel

Always wondered what the A04 Radio Group was comprised of.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 26, 2019, 11:08:57 AM
"Challenger340" sounds like your car was US spec'd when new

Yes, that's what I am now thinking ?
and only supposition here on my Part..... but maybe built to "U.S. Specs" because it was "Y14", which as is my understanding was a SOLD car(ordered by someone ?), so maybe when building to an order they just did things same way as U.S. cars ?
About the only thing "canadian" spec on it would be the damn undercoating which is very thick and probably responsible for preserving it so well, NO rear window defogger or any else "canadian" present ?

I was able to determine it was sold new in Kamloops BC Canada, however, the Dealership is now long defunct, so no further info there.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Homerr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 26, 2019, 01:57:40 PM
Always wondered what the A04 Radio Group was comprised of.

Here's the 1970 Charger dealer data book, Hamtamck Historical is a great resource!

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1970DealershipDataBook-03.shtml

And here's 1969:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 26, 2019, 09:25:04 AM

For a "Canadian" ordered  car ? It just seems to be missing any common identifiers as such,
B-Sheet just says SPD of B23 followed by 200xxx VON  with Y14 Sales Code.
same on Fender Tag B23 200xxx

On my '69 that's been a Western Canada car it's entire life, it definitely has B before the VON on the fender tag.  :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

6bblgt

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 26, 2019, 04:22:21 PM
I was able to determine it was sold new in Kamloops BC Canada, however, the Dealership is now long defunct, so no further info there.

how were you able to determine this?

there were Y14 cars for US (Y05), CANADA (Y07) & EXPORT (Y09)
there were NO specifics that differentiated US VS. CANADA spec. cars - it was more for Chrysler Corp. documentation, pricing & destination

Challenger340

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 28, 2019, 01:01:30 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on March 26, 2019, 04:22:21 PM

how were you able to determine this?

there were Y14 cars for US (Y05), CANADA (Y07) & EXPORT (Y09)
there were NO specifics that differentiated US VS. CANADA spec. cars - it was more for Chrysler Corp. documentation, pricing & destination

Found the dealership plate under the rear seat ?
then later,
I spoke with a former owner who said same thing "Sold new in Kamloops BC", afterwhich I then told her "Yeah I found the Fisher Bros Chrysler, Kamloops BC" dealer plate under the rear seat.

Seemed a substantive enough corroboration of the tag ? given I never mentioned it prior to her telling me.

All I know is it's Y14.... and appears to have been ordered and Sold new in Canada ?

NO "B" in the VON.... just an SPD of "B23" followed by 200XXX VON on the Broadcast Sheet ?    same-same on the Fender Tag ?

6bblgt

a '69 w/o a "B" VON - it probably started life in Washington state and crossed the border as a used car early in its life

Challenger340

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 29, 2019, 01:07:36 AM
a '69 w/o a "B" VON - it probably started life in Washington state and crossed the border as a used car early in its life

That would be the plausible explanation for the VON discrepancy.

But hard to substantiate given the conflicting evidence thus far ?
I'll revisit digging into the 1969 to 1978 period again, hard to fathom someone would import one into Canada that early on, there were thousands already here including R/T's.  :scratchchin:

mr. hemi

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 29, 2019, 10:56:13 AM

I'll revisit digging into the 1969 to 1978 period again, hard to fathom someone would import one into Canada that early on, there were thousands already here including R/T's.  :scratchchin:

Also, keep in mind, up until a legislation change in about the mid 80's (Pre "Registrar Of Imported Vehicles" scam) a used car had to be 15 years old to be imported from the US, unless there were unusual circumstances, such as being a US resident and immigrating to Canada, bringing your car with you. Point being, back then you just couldn't zip across the border and buy a couple year old car and bring it legally into Canada. My '68 Coronet R/T came from the US. I was lined up at the border on Jan. 1st 1983, the first day I could import it.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Challenger340

Quote from: mr. hemi on March 30, 2019, 10:32:56 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on March 29, 2019, 10:56:13 AM

I'll revisit digging into the 1969 to 1978 period again, hard to fathom someone would import one into Canada that early on, there were thousands already here including R/T's.  :scratchchin:

Also, keep in mind, up until a legislation change in about the mid 80's (Pre "Registrar Of Imported Vehicles" scam) a used car had to be 15 years old to be imported from the US, unless there were unusual circumstances, such as being a US resident and immigrating to Canada, bringing your car with you. Point being, back then you just couldn't zip across the border and buy a couple year old car and bring it legally into Canada. My '68 Coronet R/T came from the US. I was lined up at the border on Jan. 1st 1983, the first day I could import it.

I made some calls yesterday/today with ICBC the Provincial Registrar of Motor Vehicles, and once I clarified right from the get-go this time(I have called before with no success), that this time I was merely looking for the earliest known Registration here in BC, No "personal" information of any prior Owners...
I sat on hold for 20 minutes....
The girl came back indicated the first privately owned registration was March 1st 1973.

Confused as to the distinction she was making around "Private" Registration, I then asked about priors... to which she said "You will have to write a letter and Pay the Fee for a printed record", no further info was forthcoming, other than "Business" or possible "Corporate" ?

So ?
At least I now know March 1st 1973 it was Registered for the first time "privately" here in BC, unknown as to prior until I write a letter ?
However,
IMO, it would seem to suggest it unlikely to having been "imported" as a fairly NEW Vehicle in 1973 ?

70 sublime

I think 1973 is the magic year that Canada started putting all the registrations on computer
Every used car package I have ever gotten only went back to 1973

They want money to get someone to dig up the paperwork for older records if they are still around 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

i don't think this helps with the original question but lots of good info . www.mmcdetroit.com when you get on that page go to old site then go to left of page click on vehicle order number (von)