News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel delivery for EFI

Started by garner7555, March 13, 2019, 07:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

I am running FiTech fuel injection and I have the fuel command center from them also.  The car quit on me yesterday and after a little digging my Command Center is what is blowing fuses so I assume the pump is toast (after only 107 miles). I bought the Command Center a few years back and have regretted it ever since, once reviews started popping up (I'm just now getting the car finished). So my question is, what is my best option moving forward? It is a 69 Charger with a mild 440 street car (475-500 hp). I have the 600 non power adder Fitech unit. I have a new stainless fuel tank and the Tans.inc tank isn't available in stainless but I can live with replacing my new stainless tank with a non-stainless Tanks inc. tank if that is going to be my best/most reliable option.   Thanks for the help.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Charger's looking badass!

I was in the same boat, had a nice shiny stainless tank that was only like a year old it killed me to swap it out. I loved the way it looked but the Tanks Inc isn't bad looking. 

Best option, go with the Tanks Inc tank. You'll have to run all new lines and vent but looks semi stock and fits with the hangers you already have. You can upgrade it with the JakeFab fuel puck (or aeromotive billet pump hanger) and aeromotive pump, supposedly is a quieter and better pump than the Tanks Inc Walbro pump. I think Aeromotive might be releasing their own tank and pump combo soon as well?

Other options are to run an inline pump. You'll get to keep the stainless tank but the in tank pumps usually last longer. Fitech did just recently release their new command center...Don't know what the quality of them is though?

You can always get a custom stainless tank made? Rick's tanks makes a damn fine product that uses factory fuel pumps so they'll last for many years but it won't look stock and will cost a pretty penny.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

JR

I've had tanks Inc and a walbro for three years now. Love it.

Throw the Fuel command center in the trash and never look back. In tank pump or bust.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

garner7555

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 13, 2019, 08:49:42 PM
Charger's looking badass!

I was in the same boat, had a nice shiny stainless tank that was only like a year old it killed me to swap it out. I loved the way it looked but the Tanks Inc isn't bad looking. 

Best option, go with the Tanks Inc tank. You'll have to run all new lines and vent but looks semi stock and fits with the hangers you already have. You can upgrade it with the JakeFab fuel puck (or aeromotive billet pump hanger) and aeromotive pump, supposedly is a quieter and better pump than the Tanks Inc Walbro pump. I think Aeromotive might be releasing their own tank and pump combo soon as well?

Other options are to run an inline pump. You'll get to keep the stainless tank but the in tank pumps usually last longer. Fitech did just recently release their new command center...Don't know what the quality of them is though?

You can always get a custom stainless tank made? Rick's tanks makes a damn fine product that uses factory fuel pumps so they'll last for many years but it won't look stock and will cost a pretty penny.

That is very interesting about the Aeromotive tank.   I may reach out to them and see if it really is coming soon.   If not I will probably order the Tanks inc. tank and then decide which puck and pump to use.    Thanks.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Thanks for the replies guys.   :2thumbs:      I forgot to ask this earlier, but how and what are you using to plumb the high pressure lines from the tank to engine?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

I was checking into the Aeromotive tank and it turns out they just use the Tanks Inc tank with their pump.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: garner7555 on March 13, 2019, 09:46:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.   :2thumbs:      I forgot to ask this earlier, but how and what are you using to plumb the high pressure lines from the tank to engine?

I ran 2 factory 3/8 steel lines  for the feed and return and added an fittings to the ends. Cut them off right after the torsion bar crossmember and ran braided soft lines to the regulator and throttle body. Had to enlarge the hole in the crossmember to fit the fittings through.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

cdr

Tanks inc & pump, with a return set up.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

metallicareload99

Quote from: JR on March 13, 2019, 09:35:10 PM

Throw the Fuel command center in the trash and never look back. In tank pump or bust.

:iagree: Except maybe the part about the command centre.  I spent more time plumbing the fuel system when installing FiTech than anything else.  The command center seems like a much easier option.  I just didn't want to spend the money and couldn't figure out where to mount it?  I would bet that for the majority of people out there it works fine and there is certainly a very vocal minority out there that has had problems.

Thanks for the replies guys.   :2thumbs:      I forgot to ask this earlier, but how and what are you using to plumb the high pressure lines from the tank to engine?

I used my old factory style 3/8" stainless steel line as return from the FiTech.  I flared and bent a roll of 3/8" from the Tanks Inc set up to the engine bay, and from there used steel braided hose with AN fittings from there.

If I had a nice stainless steel tank I would try and find a way to use that.  Aeromotive made kit that supposedly had everything you'd need to install an electric pump in your non-efi tank.  Yes, the hanger would protrude above the tank but you could "fab" a housing/access hatch in the trunk to gain clearance and be able to service the fuel pump if needed:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,134774.0.html

Nice car BTW
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

garner7555

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 13, 2019, 09:49:59 PM

I ran 2 factory 3/8 steel lines  for the feed and return and added an fittings to the ends. Cut them off right after the torsion bar crossmember and ran braided soft lines to the regulator and throttle body. Had to enlarge the hole in the crossmember to fit the fittings through.

I was thinking I remembered someone doing it this way.  How do you attach the AN fittings to the steel tubing?   I assume they make a fitting just for this?    Thanks.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Quote from: metallicareload99 on March 14, 2019, 01:30:01 AM
Quote from: JR on March 13, 2019, 09:35:10 PM

:iagree: Except maybe the part about the command centre.  I spent more time plumbing the fuel system when installing FiTech than anything else.  The command center seems like a much easier option.  I just didn't want to spend the money and couldn't figure out where to mount it?  I would bet that for the majority of people out there it works fine and there is certainly a very vocal minority out there that has had problems.

Thanks for the replies guys.   :2thumbs:      I forgot to ask this earlier, but how and what are you using to plumb the high pressure lines from the tank to engine?

I used my old factory style 3/8" stainless steel line as return from the FiTech.  I flared and bent a roll of 3/8" from the Tanks Inc set up to the engine bay, and from there used steel braided hose with AN fittings from there.

If I had a nice stainless steel tank I would try and find a way to use that.  Aeromotive made kit that supposedly had everything you'd need to install an electric pump in your non-efi tank.  Yes, the hanger would protrude above the tank but you could "fab" a housing/access hatch in the trunk to gain clearance and be able to service the fuel pump if needed:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,134774.0.html

Nice car BTW

Thanks.   :2thumbs:        I have looked at the option from Aeromotive (I will attach a link) to add an in-tank pump to your existing tank, but it cost just as much as a Tanks inc setup with the pump and sender included.  I think I will go with the Tanks inc tank to get the baffling and it should be less likely to leak.  :lol:   

Aeromotive in tank pump for existing tank :   https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/phantom-200-stealth-fuel-system/

Tanks inc tank with sender and Aeromotive pump:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18159

Tanks in tank with sender and Walbro pump :    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-tcr9a-t-kit

Tanks inc tank with sender and larger Aeromotive pump :    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18459

Tanks inc tank with no pump or sender :        https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-tcr9a-t

I have sent a message to Redmist to see what the price is for his fuel puck.   It looks like a good quality piece.    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/122220-jakefab-quot-Fuel-Puck-quot-install-kit-for-TANKSINC-tanks

I don't think I need the larger pump option, but I posted it for others in case anyone references this thread for fuel delivery in the future.   My 440 should make 450-500HP at the crank so I would think that any of these pumps would be adequate for my application.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

John_Kunkel

My Command Center is still going strong but I noticed they have a new style Hyper Fuel surge tank that replaces the one I have, might give it a try.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: garner7555 on March 14, 2019, 05:46:49 AM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 13, 2019, 09:49:59 PM

I was thinking I remembered someone doing it this way.  How do you attach the AN fittings to the steel tubing?   I assume they make a fitting just for this?    Thanks.

Here's what I used. Black for feed and red for return just so I don't mix up the lines. I'm sure there are fittings you could weld on but these worked great for me.

https://www.redhorseperformance.com/products/3100-06-06-2

There are a ton of other brands that make them too with great reviews.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at165006erl/overview/

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster