News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rebuild 727

Started by q8charger, February 19, 2019, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q8charger

Hello,

I'm looking for rebuild my Automatic transmission 727 . My 440 engine made 1977 or 1978 

The transmission i have  383 2BBL trans made on 1967 .

What is the best Kit  for long life I can get it .

Another questions can i use 1970 to 1979  Kits ? If No can i know the reason please

c00nhunterjoe

Lots of parts could have been interchanged into that case over the years. So the short answer is yes and no. Best to tear it down and inspect/document before ordering any parts.

John_Kunkel

A '67 383-2 trans is about as low-performance as a 727 gets; so, depending on how hard you intend to flog the 440, it needs some upgrades besides an overhaul kit but disassembly will tell if it has already been upgraded.

727 rebuild kits generally come '62-'70 and '71-later. Differences in the bushings and sealing rings make them incompatible with the wrong years.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

q8charger

Okay let say  67 383-2 trans and i  didn't upgraded. What i should do to upgrade the transmission ??? What i should buy and change??

c00nhunterjoe

Not enough info about the engine and car.... my 440 block is from 1969, but it makes 700hp. What does your 440 block make? Its very easy for me to sot here and spend your money. I would put what most call a hemi drum in it. Billet of course, bolt in sprag, trans scatter shield. Manual valvebody... what are we doing with this trans?

b5blue

Based on your limited question and answers you may not know much about 727's (Like myself.) and most likely best off having it rebuilt at a good shop. (Like I did.)  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

A stock '67 383-2 727 came with a 3-disc front clutch while most had 4 discs, 3-pinion planetaries while HP had 4 pinions, and a 2.9 band lever while most had the 3.8.

To equal a stock 440 HP trans you would need to change (or machine) the front clutch drum, the planetaries and the lever. There are also some differences in the valve body and governor but this can be taken care of with a good reprogramming kit like the Transgo TF-2.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.