News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fenders

Started by rydog1130, December 12, 2017, 04:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rydog1130

Got a deal on a fender for $400 but its a 69 fender. Im thinking I could fill the turn indicator hole and drill a new hole to make it look like a 68. Is there any other issues I should worry about? did they change anything other than the turn indicator hole?
2009 Challenger R/T

Lennard

Side marker holes are the only difference.

jwells1993

im not 100% sure but i thought there was a mount on radiator support for 69 but not 68 maybe someone else can confirm?
keep on keepin on

green69rt

Quote from: jwells1993 on December 12, 2017, 04:51:54 PM
im not 100% sure but i thought there was a mount on radiator support for 69 but not 68 maybe someone else can confirm?

I think you're right, 69 has an "ear" that sticks out that the hood bumper screws into, 68 just screws directly into the radiator brace.

green69rt

Found some pictures.

Pic #1 is 68.
Pic #2 is 69.

Lennard

I just learned something new.  :2thumbs:

rydog1130

ok, nothing major it should still fit on a 68.... thanks for the info guys
2009 Challenger R/T

Troy

You can lose that "ear". It's easier to make a 69 fender into a 68 than the other way around.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

VegasCharger

Another pic for reference of a 68 B Body rad support corner brace for the hood adjuster...........

:cheers:

Old Moparz

The hoods are slightly different on the underside because of the location of the hood bumper from 68 to 69. There are square pads on the underside of the hood that are attached based on where the bumper is located. Not a big deal but it's still a difference.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

green69rt

Quote from: VegasCharger on December 13, 2017, 09:27:29 PM
Another pic for reference of a 68 B Body rad support corner brace for the hood adjuster...........

Now this is another variation of the "ear".  My 69 came with 68 fenders and had no "ears" but did have the 68 side marker holes welded over and 69 side marker holes cut into the sides.  The 69 holes where just cut into the sides and didn't have the relief flange a 69 would normally have.  Maybe the person who did the repair just cut the 68 "ears" off   :shruggy:  What's correct?

Lennard

His picture is from a '68 Coronet.

cdr

Here is my 68 Charger

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

green69rt

I thought I would look around on this site for other pictures of the 68 fender but the Photo Bucket problem has blanked out so many of them that it's almost useless. 
So much information lost!  Pretty frustrating   :brickwall:

VegasCharger

Quote from: Lennard on December 14, 2017, 10:03:16 AM
His picture is from a '68 Coronet.

Correctamundo!!!  :2thumbs:

But I believe all 68 B Bodies share the same rad support to fender corner brace.

Let me see if I can shed some light here. To avoid confusion I have 3 68 B Bodies. Two 4 door parts cars and my 68 Charger. Each one of these have the above corner brace. The above is from a 68 Dodge Coronet as Lennard pointed out. The below 4 pics (#1 thru #4) are from my 68 Charger. And the follow reply 4 pics (#5 thru #8) are from my 68 Plymouth Belvedere parts car of the corner braces removed from the car via spot welds drilled out to show in detail how this was assembled from the factory.

Pics #1 & 2 it appears that the brace is part of the fender but it's not.
Pic #3 you'll see a layer of sheet metal between the rad support and the fender.
Pic #4 you'll see a stud with a nut (lime green arrow) this is an anchoring point for the fender.
Pics #5 thru #8 in the follow up reply are of the braces.

VegasCharger

:popcrn:

VegasCharger

And one other note, below is a pic of me prying between the fender and corner piece after I removed the nut (from pic #4 above) to display that these are two different moving parts.

green69rt

Interesting, so there is a brace, just mine didn't have it for whatever reason.  One of those little things that keep us talking about the hobby!  Thanks Vegascharger.

Edit: and the brace is attached to the inner fender via the spot welds.  Right?  Ahh, the details we get into....

Edit #2: and we may have completely hijacked this thread and lost the OP.  Sorry.

VegasCharger

Quote from: green69rt on December 14, 2017, 08:54:55 PM
Interesting, so there is a brace, just mine didn't have it for whatever reason.
Mine (pictured above) are available if you need them.

Thanks Vegascharger.

You're welcome.  :2thumbs:

.....and the brace is attached to the inner fender via the spot welds.  Right?
Yes, attached via factory spot welds.

.....and we may have completely hijacked this thread and lost the OP.  Sorry.
Yes I agree. My apologies as well to the OP for the hijack. But it was info I thought was appropriate while hot on the topic.

green69rt

Quote from: VegasCharger on December 14, 2017, 10:32:05 PM
Interesting, so there is a brace, just mine didn't have it for whatever reason.
Mine (pictured above) are available if you need them.

Won't need them, my 69 had 68 fenders on it when I got it.  Replaced them with correct 69 fenders, but thanks for the offer.

VegasCharger

7necharger

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 13, 2017, 10:49:02 PM
The hoods are slightly different on the underside because of the location of the hood bumper from 68 to 69. There are square pads on the underside of the hood that are attached based on where the bumper is located. Not a big deal but it's still a difference.
Hi do you have fender for 70 charger?