News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is this can under the battery(71 charger)

Started by toplescuda, May 08, 2006, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toplescuda

been cleaning the charger (71)  get some grease/grime off before drop a 440 down in it  and there is this lil can mounted on its side under the battery tray   what does it go to  first thought was for headlights???  but the car does not have hideaway headlights (if thats even how thay work im not sure)   so what does it go to???ralph

haueter66

its some sort of vacuum reserve cannister... basically if your vacuum drops off momentarily it will keep the vacuum for a short period of time... at least thats what I was told at some point... 

MassCharger73

71 Chargers would have electric headlight doors, you need to get on the bat phone and call Natcho.

:popcrn:
1973 Charger

1972Rallye

Your car has (or had) A/C right...?  It's the vacuum reservior for the A/C system -  I believe all the doors in the HVAC box were vacuum actuated and this reservior was used to supply vacuum to the system when needed.  A lot like a Ramcharger Hood reservior, but with a different bracket.

Shakey

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 1972Rallye on May 09, 2006, 06:55:57 AM
Your car has (or had) A/C right...?  It's the vacuum reservior for the A/C system -  I believe all the doors in the HVAC box were vacuum actuated and this reservior was used to supply vacuum to the system when needed.  A lot like a Ramcharger Hood reservior, but with a different bracket.

Yup!   All the heat and ac are controlled with vacuum.  The heater control valve is also controlled with vacuum. Very hard to find part now if/when it fails.

Todd

Nacho-RT74

I never have seen it but I know SOME 71 AND 72 ( not 73/74 ) were vacuum controled Heater valve instead wire controled, so definitelly it must be the vacuum reservoir to THAT VALVE. since is the only vacuum part on 3rd gens beside the actuators to A/C-heater ducts.

Doors actuators don't really uses reservoir, at least on 73/74 as far I know. Mine doesn't have it.

Rest parts are electrical or wired controlled.

NOT ALL 71/72 were vacuum. as far I know mostly are wired controlled. Recently I sold NOS  4 heater valves to wired system.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: haueter66 on May 09, 2006, 06:50:40 AM
its some sort of vacuum reserve cannister... basically if your vacuum drops off momentarily it will keep the vacuum for a short period of time... at least thats what I was told at some point... 

If only works for a short period of time then you have at least a minimul leak or damaged vacuum control valve or hoses. It should keep allways the vacuum balance to control stuffs.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 09, 2006, 10:51:05 AM
Yup!   All the heat and ac are controlled with vacuum.  The heater control valve is also controlled with vacuum. Very hard to find part now if/when it fails.

Todd

My 71 has the A/C vacuum setup. When I was moving the Charger into the garage last week end the base of the heater control valve cracked open and spewed anti freeze everywhere ::). I bought that valve NOS 10 years ago at Carlisle for $40. God knows where I can one now.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

toplescuda

and that canister would be mounted under the battery tray?

Nupe

Yes it will be under the tray.  If you don't need it anymore I'll take it for my Ram hood.  :icon_smile_cool:  My vacuum can is dented and I don't see any easy way to fix it.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

'79 Lil'Red Express.