News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger under hood hard insulation pad

Started by Petebell68, November 01, 2018, 07:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petebell68

Hi everyone curious what everyone thinks of using the under hood hard pad or not .
Some people say all they do is become dust collectors while other swear by them .
I don't have one now my car has the factory stock look , looking for opinions .

Thanks Pete

Dino

I'm wondering as well. I like the idea of the pad, the pricier one, as long as it doesn't rub on the MP air cleaner.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69bfan

The factory hood pads were used as a sound deadening technique and was part of the insulation package for noise suppression.  If the car was fully factory undercoated, then the molded hood pad was added as well.  Personally, I think that the hood pad adds a more finished look to the underside of the hood.  I do not care for the more plain jane yellow or black fiberglass versions that are simply die cut and are folded up when receiving them.

REM and Repops offer a much more correct molded version as found on the factory installations.  Depending upon who you buy them from, they are two to three times more expensive than the plain die cut examples.  The biggest disadvantage to the molded units are that they are very fragile during the shipping and installation process.

Depending upon where you are located, shipping can be expensive as they are oversize due to having to be shipped flat.  I just had one drop shipped for a customer and shipping was $28 from PA. to IL.  Also, make sure that you are getting the right one.  There is the 66 to 67 style, 68 to 69, 70 only and 71-74 for the B-Body applications.

Also, the reproduction clips is a problem within itself.  If you can source the originals, reuse them if at all possible.  There is at least three or four manufactures of these clips and they all have issues that I have seen.

Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

Petebell68

I do like the look as well , and everyone else has stated the same thing about the repop clips .
I would actually go pick one up at the supplier as your correct they are fragile in shipping .
The one I was looking at is a grey hard pressed unit that looks like a factory produced repo .

303 Mopar

I took mine off. It was creating dust everywhere and rubbing on the air cleaner.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 01, 2018, 02:58:28 PM
I took mine off. It was creating dust everywhere and rubbing on the air cleaner.

Same here. Looks good when it was new but the dust made everything else look like crap.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Is this the pricier molded pad you guys are talking about?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Petebell68