News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How often do you drive YOUR charger

Started by jefferson, October 31, 2018, 02:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

As you guys know, im in Australia and recently imported a 68 charger. I love her, i love driving her but now im wondering, i talk to other car guys and they dont drive theres at all, they have  them trailed everywhere, then others tell me, screw that, drive the car and enjoy it. Then others say, that with how less and less and more expensive chargers are now days then very rarely drive it. Ive taken mine out a few times and hard to hang up the keys, But its got me wondering, what is the go with people not driving there chargers, rarely driving them or having them trailed in and out of car shows, displays etc.

Is it to preserve them? Scared of scratches, stone marks, chips etc etc.

Or will most here agree and say, screw that, drive it as much as you can and dont worry.

Got me stoked on how everyones opinions seem to vary.

alfaitalia

I'm planning to drive mine everywhere I can...all the time I can afford the stupidly priced UK fuel at least! Done the same with all the classic and semi classic cars I've owned. I won't drive or in the rain unless I get caught out in it or the winter....too much money in the car and salt on or winter roads for that....but otherwise yeah...is was built first and foremost to drive not to be a trailer ornament. Those who never or very rarely drive their classics and Chargers will be the perfect restoration show car boys....those cars are lovely to look at even though very few are really anything like "correct" ...the factory simply did not build them that well!....but they make me sad...like a cheetah in a cage...it's a crime imo! If I get a chip in my paint..well that's life. I won't park tight between cars or leave is done when out and he as carefull as I can....but accidents happen.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Back N Black

I drive my charger pretty much every day during the season, being in Canada that is about 6-7 months. I know lots of guy that rarely drive their cars, I will ask a friends to go crusin but pretty much I go cruising alone. My car was a complete nut and bolt restoration but I did not build it to look at, built it to drive.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Back N Black on October 31, 2018, 05:55:30 AM
I drive my charger pretty much every day during the season, being in Canada that is about 6-7 months. I know lots of guy that rarely drive their cars, I will ask a friends to go crusin but pretty much I go cruising alone. My car was a complete nut and bolt restoration but I did not build it to look at, built it to drive.

I'm right there with you! Since the end of May I have put on 5020 miles as of last night! DRIVE EM!!!!
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

c00nhunterjoe

Weather permitting, i drive it all the time. Trailoring depends on how far i have to go, and that is for the street car, race car, and unrestored origonal car. 1st 2 are wear and tear and fuel factors, the unrestored car is based on and damage and milewge since its only got 35k on it. I will typically drive any of them roughly an hour to a cruise or show or even just because, further then that the trailor comes out for peace of mind in case of breakdowns, and fuel. I have them to enjoy but at the same time dont want to destroy them or let some moron on the interstate doing 90 do it for me.

Chargen69

I guess i suck, 2100 miles in 3 years after restoring it.  I live in SC and not in the country.  SOOOOOOO many morons behind the wheel

Bronzedodge

I have mine out at least once a week until they salt the roads for the first snow.  In the spring, after there's a couple of good rains to clean up the streets, she's back.
Mopar forever!

Challenger340

Weather permitting I try and drive it regularily, and with sufficient extra time allowed for the people that inevitably want to look/talk/reminisce along the way.

And living rural 30 minutes from the closest "tourist" town of 5,000 usually FULL of tourists/people from far and wide ? there seems to be no such thing as just a "quick" stop for gas ? groceries, garden center or the parts store no matter, and I guess it's just part of the models recognizability ?

You would be surprised how many people take or want pictures, like the Charger is part of their Holidays ? or a tourist attraction ? Belgians/French/Europeans, one fella this past summer from Germany very shocked I had a lawn mower I just bought in the trunk, with the push handle sticking out and the trunk lid bungie corded down.
He came running up in whatever goofy short pants he had on.... smiling/staring/ogling... and said "You peeeples achtuually driiv deez carz ?"
I said.... "yeah, but only when I got some junk to pick up, or a trip to the dump, etc., because it's too hard on fuel"
Jaw drop... all BUG eyed.... "NOOOO ? Reell-zee ?
By the time I was done with that guy, I had him believing most all Hillbillies still have an old classic car in the garage at home, but we just don't drive them much anymore because of fuel prices, too big to park etc.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

cbrestorations

Every single day, I have true daily drivers. And no newer vehicles in my driveway. Only 2nd gen chargers. Just put 2k miles on one in the last week. Driving out of town twice and all around in town. If it gets wrecked...no biggie, I'll make money on it from insurance being able to rebuild them myself and just drive one of the others till it's fixed. Big blocks, small blocks and even a whimpy ol slant six 3 on the tree...when's the last time u saw a slant six 3 on the tree as a daily 😂

myk

Driving it every day since I got it back from the body shop a week ago, even though I swore I would never drive it again...

Lennard

My car is still a non running and driving project, but once it's done I will drive the wheels off it.

My buddy Chris and I just drove last weekend from his house in Vegas to the fall fling car show in Van Nuys California with 2 of his '68 Chargers. We drove about 700 miles. :2thumbs:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Godsmack635

I average 500 miles a year.  Western Washington weather doesn't allow me much more than that unless I'm willing to drive it in the rain or on wet roads which I never do. 

CDN72SE

I plan on driving mine in good weather, it was my daily driver for quite a few years and treated it and used it anyway I would use a car. Used to deliver pizzas with it... but that was then. After all the money I am putting into it I will of course treat it differently but I will drive it that's why I have kept it 31 years. Hope to have it on the road summer '19.
1972 Charger SE

JR

Every single weekend.

I avoid obviously risky times, like 5 0'clock traffic rush, or cold fall evenings when deer start moving here in the southeast, but I drive it as much as possible.

I don't want to look back on my deathbed and remember all the times I rubbed the car with a diaper, screw that. I want to remember tire smoke and noise.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

6pkrtse

I average anywhere from at least 3000 to 5000+ sometimes more miles a year on my red 70. An injured knee & then finally reconstructive knee surgery took it's tool on not being able to drive it the last several months unfortunately. Not because it would be difficult to drive, only because I have to swap & move several other cars to get it out & put it away each time which required too much walking.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

6.7Cummins

When ever it is nice I drive mine. Just took a spin yesterday after work.
1968 Charger R/T 440/727

XH29N0G

When I'm in town, salt is not on the roads and it is not raining .... every weekend when I can
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

303 Mopar

I drive mine as much as possible mostly on weekends year round. I too avoid snow, ice, rush hour and when the local high school lets out.  There are some nice backroads where I'm at, but I'm careful to avoid driving there around sunset and at night due to deer.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

metallicareload99

Quote from: myk on October 31, 2018, 10:06:31 AM
Driving it every day since I got it back from the body shop a week ago, even though I swore I would never drive it again...

:2thumbs:

I've been driving it every day. 8,400+ miles this year.

It's the only vehicle I own
:drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Kern Dog

Why would you say that?

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 31, 2018, 11:49:05 PM

Why would you say that?

Car was down for 8 months, having to look for parts, wrestling with the body shop; I don't want to go through any of that again, it's not worth it.  And with California roads getting more congested and dangerous all the time, it's just not a safe environment for anyone with a car they give a damn about...

Petebell68

Try to drive it every weekend at least , but sometimes weather and life just get in the way .
Went out a couple of days ago they run well in the nice cool air .

Dino

When it's not in my garage being a big project, I drive it every day until there's ice on the ground, and again when the first rains wash away the road salt.

I get sad when it sits in the garage and I get happy when I'm behind the wheel. Life too short to be sad.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.