News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best clutch for manual transmission?

Started by resq302, October 24, 2018, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

I'm currently restoring my new toy and I pulled the engine and trans out only to find the flywheel burned in multiple areas as well as the clutch plate being almost done.  Pressure plate also has burn marks in the metal but I had already planned on replacing that when I did the clutch plate along with the throw out bearing.  Since it was almost 20 years since I did the one in my Charger, what is a good brand and clutch people are using now?  I'd like to get one a little better than stock while not killing my left leg in the process.  The old 3 finger style pressure plate was not that fun after a while in traffic but if thats the best type out there, then I'm still game.  Are dual frictions worth the extra money?  While I'm not going to be constantly beating on this or racing it, I would like to have a little fun every now and then with it.  Engine is a 440 that supposedly has been bored 30 over.  Both the engine and trans are numbers matching so with that being said, I'm not going to be abusing the crap out of it either.

Thanks for the input,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

XH29N0G

A lot of this depends on the level of power you have (and probably gearing).  I am using a centerforce which works well with a fairly warm combination.  I believe the McLoed are the ones that people like the best.  Unfortunately I am away from my car and paperwork right now, so cannot get specifics.  I suspect you will have a few people chime in who will know more than me.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

resq302

Its a slightly warmed over 440 (I seem to recall the prev. owner telling me it was bored .30 over) with the stock 18 spline A833 trans.  Maybe Bill Allphin can chime in as he used to own the car at one point.  I'm not looking for anything crazy for it so there is no need for an overkill on the clutch but I would like it to be a little better than stock. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

c00nhunterjoe

Sfi flywheel, centerfroce dual friction clutch.

70sixpkrt

Mcleod stopped making the 3 finger Borg and Beck a few years ago. They only sell Diaghram pressure plates now. I had Mcleod rebuild my Mcleod Borg and Beck pressure plate 6 months ago but have not installed in yet.  The Mcleod dual disc setup is awesome but expensive. If your looking more towards stock, I would look into the Ram clutches. Call Passon Perf or Brewers.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

69wannabe

I'm running a RAM powergrip clutch in my charger but that may be overkill since I got a 493 stroker in front of it. I think RAM makes a muscle car clutch that may be better for your slightly upgraded 440. The one in my car works great but the clutch pedal takes some good effort to depress.