News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It's happening: complete fiberglass 69 Charger bodies being produced.

Started by JR, October 23, 2018, 07:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

https://m.facebook.com/groups/601742459860632?view=permalink&id=2157913254243537

Quote from County Line Rods Facebook post:

"Next on the agenda for County Line Rods is an all fiberglass 69 Dodge Charger! Stay tuned here for updates! www.countylinerods.com or 864 208 4425."

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

bakerhillpins

Help me understand the point when the outer sheet metal is now available?  :shruggy: Is it just a cost consideration?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

JR

I'm just speculating here, but I'm guessing the audience for them will be the hardcore performance guys who like the looks of a Charger, but want a body that weighs 1000 lbs less.

Or maybe the crowd that likes the look of the car, but doesn't want to deal with 50 year old car headaches.

I'm not planning on buying one, but I definitely see the appeal in a stiff tube chassis, IRS, a modern drivetrain, and other advancements you can build in from the ground up. Instead of retrofitting to an old chassis.

If nothing else, maybe Hollywood can start crashing these and leave originals alone for a change

Here's their Camaro body for example.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: JR on October 23, 2018, 07:58:41 AM
I'm just speculating here, but I'm guessing the audience for them will be the hardcore performance guys who like the looks of a Charger, but want a body that weighs 1000 lbs less.

Or maybe the crowd that likes the look of the car, but doesn't want to deal with 50 year old car headaches.

I'm not planning on buying one, but I definitely see the appeal in a stiff tube chassis, IRS, a modern drivetrain, and other advancements you can build in from the ground up. Instead of retrofitting to an old chassis.

If nothing else, maybe Hollywood can start crashing these and leave originals alone for a change

All good points!  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 23, 2018, 07:48:57 AM
Help me understand the point when the outer sheet metal is now available?  :shruggy: Is it just a cost consideration?

Basically a replica/kit car to be retrofitted to a donor/tube chassis, if they're smart they'll make it with a 120" wheelbase, rather than a 118" WB so it can drop over a cut down modern Charger/Magnum/300 chassis, the kit car industry has been doing this for decades, the advantage here is the readily available glass/trim/interior and assorted other panels/parts/dodads to help build and complete a kitcar Charger...

70 sublime

So is this going to make all the 1969 Charger paper ownership cards floating around worth a bunch more ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

krops cars

Ok not to sound dumb. How do you put doors on it? Dash floor trunk lid. Do you build steel braces all over to keep it from flexing? I could see building this, but it is just a fiberglass shell with nothing else.

JB400

It'd be good for drag racing or  autocross, where you want a light weight body and stiff chassis.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: JR on October 23, 2018, 07:58:41 AM

Maybe, but who in their right mind would want a car that rattles and squeaks like a kit car....because it is a kit car?

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Stevearino

Well there are lots of Crown Vic's out there to make more GL jump cars. This is a perfect fit . Also other than the super tall rockers that black Charger is a pretty nice SRT-8  body over build in the original post. Looks like they widened the front fenders to accommodate the wider track width.

wingcar

All I see is......FUNNY CAR Drag car material.......

*After all is said and done, it would be cheaper to build a rust bucket Charger and save an original..... :Twocents:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

doctor4766

So once there are hundreds of these on the road, will they affect the value of a real Charger?
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

Dano 1

Time to pickup a used NASCAR chassis and be king of the track day/autocross. :coolgleamA:

Also I agree 110% with Steve,
Quote from: Stevearino on October 23, 2018, 03:31:16 PM
Well there are lots of Crown Vic's out there to make more GL jump cars. This is a perfect fit ....
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

RallyeMike

If they look like the Camaro example don't worry about these flying off the shelf and competing with the real thing.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BrianShaughnessy

Based on website prices for the Cuda and Camaro...  I'd expect these to be at least $10K for the kit and $20K hung and latched. 

And if they look like what Ryan posted... no.... no..... just no.   :rotz:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Bronzedodge

Ryan's post should be in the wing car section.  Look at the back window.  500's will now be worthless.   :smilielol: :smilielol:

Fiberglass blows.  You'll get the fun of running a ground return harness.  Then wait till the weatherstrip dulls the gelcoat, or the quarter stress cracks from shutting the door.   ::)
Mopar forever!

JR

The pic Ryan posted is a funny car body from the 60s.

I believe the black one is a finished version of the actual body, based on the steering wheel position, and the interior door panels looking different.

And Brian, your exactly right on pricing. The Cuda and Camaro bodies are listed at 9k for the bare bodies, and 18k for the bodies with doors hung and latched.

After thinking about it some more, if they ever do a Daytona version, I'd be seriously tempted to build one for a performance build. Assuming it has a competent chassis under it with IRS, and a proper roll cage for structure, I'd be interested. Replicate the shortened nose and wing that the Fast 6 Daytona had and I'd have to go for it.

Dino

Quote from: doctor4766 on October 23, 2018, 07:49:24 PM
So once there are hundreds of these on the road, will they affect the value of a real Charger?

Yes the value of the real one will go up because there's so many fake ones on the road.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.