News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition/Starter Wiring

Started by Chris 69, May 08, 2006, 12:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

I replaced some of the wiring today in my '68 Charger 383. I only replaced wires on the engine side of the firewall.

-- Ignition key position stages --
Stage 1: Clockwise to accessory/normal engine running position.
Stage 2: Clockwise to starter-on position.
Stage 3: Counter clockwise to accessory, engine-off position.

I connected wires incorrectly. When I turn the key to stage 1, the starter activates and the motor starts. The starter stays on. In stage 2, the same result occurs. In stage 3, everything acts as normal with power to all of the accessories.

When I disconnect the wire connecting the starter solenoid (I think that's what it's called) on the firewall to the positive terminal on the coil, the ignition works as it should in all three stages, but the engine will not fire.

Needless to say, I am at a loss.

What have I reconnected incorrectly? I would appreciate any advice to help solve my starting problem.

Please post wiring diagram (if you have one) that outlines how the ignition system should be connected.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

71_deputy

follow the wiring colors
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Chris 69

71_deputy,

Thanks for posting the diagrams. Can you please e-mail higher quality scans to my e-mail: cch7667@yahoo.com as I am unable to read the GIF's.

Thanks,

Chris

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chris 69

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 08, 2006, 04:29:42 PM
You can download many zipped wiring diagrams at:

http://www.mymopar.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

Thanks for the link John. That looks like an excellent resource.

Chris

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Chris 69

I followed the diagrams, and after changing some of the wire connections, the Charger started on the first try. So many colors did not match the diagrams. I had to cut away most of the wrapping to trace where the "newer" wires had been spliced to the original wires. What a headache!

At least the car starts and runs properly now.

Thanks for the help with the wiring diagrams.

Chris