News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flaming River Steering Coupler

Started by GreenMachine, May 07, 2006, 06:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorpimp

No problem!

I was like you, not too fond of the factory coupling.
In the end, the coupling rebuild kit was only $10.  But if you need a new rag joint too, that may be expensive and hard to find new.

You still may be able to use the 1505P joint from Flaming River.  Because it is longer than the 1506P.
Email them again and ask about the dimensions for the 1505.  You need the end to be 5/8 x 36c splines.  They should be able to help...
Hopefully.
:cheers:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

caddman

i ordered the rebuild kit and the rag joint last night from Brads NOS parts (not the most user friendly site out there but i got it.)
i will definately use the rag joint (90 bucks, i better use it).  if the rebuild doesn't go well i will build a joint of my own (i built my own engine and tranny mounts, i think i can handle it.)

caddman

kamkuda

It looks really good. :icon_smile_cool:

I put one in as well, I was worried about cutting my column to switch from Power to Manual steering.  It looks great and works well.

caddman

Quote from: caddman on November 02, 2007, 09:18:43 AM
i ordered the rebuild kit and the rag joint last night from Brads NOS parts (not the most user friendly site out there but i got it.)
i will definately use the rag joint (90 bucks, i better use it).  if the rebuild doesn't go well i will build a joint of my own (i built my own engine and tranny mounts, i think i can handle it.)

caddman

well i recieved my parts on thursday and rebuilt the lower column on friday.  it was one of the easiest things i have ever done on that car and she steers like a dream now (should have done this back in 1989 when i got the car).  well its done now, one more thing marked off the list.

caddman

doctorpimp

hutch

I am looking for this exact same setup. I think my stock coupler has way too much play in it.  I dont like the rubber boot that attaches to the steering gear.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Hemidog

Quote from: hutch on November 12, 2007, 11:02:03 AM
I am looking for this exact same setup. I think my stock coupler has way too much play in it.  I dont like the rubber boot that attaches to the steering gear.

Do It!  :2thumbs:

doctorpimp

I have one for sale if you want it.

Send me a PM...

charger_mike75

I have one of those couplers too, But I lost the instructions.    :eek2:  Do you think you could post it up for me?

T16

Ok.. I´m kinda lost here :scratchchin:
So none of these Flaming River couplers can be mounted on a 3rd gen Charger..?

To bad they dont have the measurements on the website..

T16

Quote from: T16 on September 30, 2008, 01:17:02 PM
Ok.. I´m kinda lost here :scratchchin:
So none of these Flaming River couplers can be mounted on a 3rd gen Charger..?

To bad they dont have the measurements on the website..

Anyone..?  :popcrn:

charger_mike75

not including the u-joint, I measure 11 1/2"

Steve P.

I have replaced the rag joint with a $6.00 rag joint disc from Auto Zone. They have them in the HELP section. I even did one on a tractor with one. Just drilled out the factory rivets and used stove bolts and nylocks.

Replacing the slide joint with the solid FR joint works well. Just keep in mind that with the FR joint it cannot collapse in a wreck.  That is the reason for the slide box coupler.

I personally like the rag joint. Less vibration and it takes about 3 minutes to replace it. And guys, one thing to keep in mind is that these joints probably have NEVER been changed before.. Everything wears out in time and use...

:Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

T16

Here´s how I did it  :icon_smile_big:
Borgeson U-joint Part No. 012164    $79

Chatt69chgr

I was thinking seriously about using one of these on my 69 with power steering.  I decided not to after reading an article in a Mopar Magazine that explained that the mopar steering coupler is designed to allow the steering shaft to move about 1/2 inch inside the coupler.  This is to allow for body flex, etc.  If you don't have any play in the steering column, then you will either end up breaking the plastic tabs in the part of the steering column that is designed to collapse in a wreck or push out the upper bearing below the steering wheel.  This is what I read.  I don't have any personal knowledge to verify what this article said.  But it appears to make sense.

charger Downunder

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 07, 2006, 06:49:35 PM
   I just installed the steering coupler from Flaming River today. It made a world of difference, however, my steering column wasn't lining up correctly with the original setup so I had more play in my old coupler than usual. I don't know what the problem was, maybe K member, maybe wrong steering column, I do have a Frankenstein car (my TTI's don't even fit like they should). I figured the Flaming River steering coupler was the best solution, it was expensive but made my car alot more fun to drive.
  The shaft does have to be cut and drilled though, I followed the instructions, cut and drilled. Then I found out I should have made my own measurements, because it made the column too short. Oh well, so I have an extra hole in my sheering shaft. I am still very happy with it. Just thought I'd share in case any of you were considering doing this.
This flaming river piece what size is the other end where the steering shaft comes in.
It looks like its round,and is held together by the rollpin.Is that safe.
[/quote]

T16

Quote from: charger Downunder on April 13, 2009, 01:04:50 AM

This flaming river piece what size is the other end where the steering shaft comes in.

3/4" shaft used on my -72 power steering

T16

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 12, 2009, 07:34:17 PM
I was thinking seriously about using one of these on my 69 with power steering.  I decided not to after reading an article in a Mopar Magazine that explained that the mopar steering coupler is designed to allow the steering shaft to move about 1/2 inch inside the coupler.  This is to allow for body flex, etc.  If you don't have any play in the steering column, then you will either end up breaking the plastic tabs in the part of the steering column that is designed to collapse in a wreck or push out the upper bearing below the steering wheel.  This is what I read.  I don't have any personal knowledge to verify what this article said.  But it appears to make sense.

Note also that the input shaft on the power steering box moves a little in and out as you turn the shaft.
To bad they didn´t take care of the real problem instead.. body flex  :scratchchin:

Well well.. I´ll give this a try,, havn´t read any problems so far with a solid coupler

firebird77clone

great thread.  I've been looking for the steering coupler, and all i've found is the slide box rebuild, and couldn't figure out what it was, now I know.

I tore apart my rag joint to put in the new one I had ordered, and it's the wrong part.  Also, the rag joint I pulled apart was a home made job, and they welded the bolt heads to the dog bones ( maybe they didn't have the L head phillips? ).

I need a complete coupling kit, but no one seems to make them!  found a NOS rubber disc on ebay for $200 !!  no way!!

Got to be a complete kit out there somewhere, else another year/make/model will fit?

oldcarnut

red79

Quote from: firebird77clone on May 30, 2012, 03:26:03 PM
great thread.  I've been looking for the steering coupler, and all i've found is the slide box rebuild, and couldn't figure out what it was, now I know.

I tore apart my rag joint to put in the new one I had ordered, and it's the wrong part.  Also, the rag joint I pulled apart was a home made job, and they welded the bolt heads to the dog bones ( maybe they didn't have the L head phillips? ).

I need a complete coupling kit, but no one seems to make them!  found a NOS rubber disc on ebay for $200 !!  no way!!

Got to be a complete kit out there somewhere, else another year/make/model will fit?

ma mopar doesn't make the 73-era rubber biscuit isolators anymore, that's why the remaining few are so pricey. bouchillon performance makes a machined replacement out of aluminum (not on their website, but call and they'll sell it to you for $100), but you'll need to find a new set of dog bones and hardware because it only replaces the rubber.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 12, 2009, 07:34:17 PM

Yes you are correct...   trust me I've heard E-booger (mopar action) give this same basic dissertation many times just about every time he sees somebody install one of these flaming river type deals in their cars.

Rebuild kits for the stock setup are available.   Drill a hole for a grease zerk and fill it up with long fiber grease and it's good to go.   Yeah,  getting the top on the stock setup sux.     There's a factory clamp deal that was or possibly still is available to help.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

idahogrumpy

I have a flaming river coupler on my 73. Call them they will help you. I believe I ordered a universal one and cut it down to fit. Been on there for years. I also replaced the rubber biscuits between k frame and frame with aluminum biscuits kit from Mancini, made a big difference. 
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

4aThrill

Just installed mine too, it says to cut inch and a half off, I cut an inch and quarter off, should of just went with a inch but all is good. measured the coupler on the shaft to the steering gear before drilling the hole. suggest to do this too otherwise you will end up with two holes on the steering column. looking good once I am done tweaking it on how I want it I will post a pic, planning on too Saturday.  :Twocents:

randy73

Not to hi-jack, but do not buy the coupler from e-bay.

Ordered mine 10 days ago and was marked shipped the next day, still waiting and no response to my emails.

his id is 'gonefishing69', guess he really did!!!

Edit: day 13 and no coupler and no response!!