News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flaming River Steering Coupler

Started by GreenMachine, May 07, 2006, 06:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I just installed the steering coupler from Flaming River today. It made a world of difference, however, my steering column wasn't lining up correctly with the original setup so I had more play in my old coupler than usual. I don't know what the problem was, maybe K member, maybe wrong steering column, I do have a Frankenstein car (my TTI's don't even fit like they should). I figured the Flaming River steering coupler was the best solution, it was expensive but made my car alot more fun to drive.
  The shaft does have to be cut and drilled though, I followed the instructions, cut and drilled. Then I found out I should have made my own measurements, because it made the column too short. Oh well, so I have an extra hole in my sheering shaft. I am still very happy with it. Just thought I'd share in case any of you were considering doing this.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

doctorpimp

Wow, that does look good.
It suprises me that they didn't have that style from the factory...
Oh wait, I imagine the OEM is cheaper  :P
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Anders

I'm in the process of upgrading my steering. Ordered a steering box from firmfeel and now I'm thinking of replacing the coupler with Reilly's  or flamíng river's joint type replacement coupler. If I understood correctly, this requires cutting and drilling the shaft? Any thoughts about this joint coupler, is it worth the money? All the comments are greatly appreciated :2thumbs:
68 Charger

TripleBlackGator

Cutting? How much and why? I don't like to do anything that I can't reverse. I am doing my steering box, column, and probably steering wheel.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 07, 2006, 06:49:35 PM
I had more play in my old coupler than usual. I don't know what the problem was

Mostly sure you had this setup with spring broken and only did need to get the new kit ( between $8 and $20 depending on dealer ):
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TripleBlackGator

Hey Nacho! What is the part I am pointing to with an arrow? I took my coupler apart and found a small piece of metal and thought it was scrap. Is it important? I was going to grease my assembly up and re-install it. Is the assembly still available from the dealer? So many questions huh?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

chargerman68

i bought the same kit from fredrick dodge on ebay,my problem was i cant get the cover to clip dowm onto the coupler,it just wont stay on :shruggy:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Nacho-RT74

thats a pin that keeps the shoes inside the coupler cup. The coupler cup does have a hole to fit that pin ( 19-15-23 on diagram )

Quote from: chargerman68 on September 24, 2007, 10:57:43 AM
i bought the same kit from fredrick dodge on ebay,my problem was i cant get the cover to clip dowm onto the coupler,it just wont stay on :shruggy:

yeah is hard to keep on place without the factory tool to crimp on to coupler reliefs... it is some tricky
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

BTW kit needs to be greased to save from worn both asemblies ( cup and shoes )

chargerman68

thanks i am trying to make some kind on retaining pin cause i lost the pin for the coupler :slap:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Nacho-RT74

welll anyway with or without pin, if the shoes are even close to touch the pin, then steering column is bad assemblied or bad fit down the dash LOL, so the pin is necesarry maybe for safety ??? but always can be damaged if shoes sits close to pin

doctorpimp

Quote from: Anders on September 23, 2007, 02:52:37 PM
I'm in the process of upgrading my steering. Ordered a steering box from firmfeel and now I'm thinking of replacing the coupler with Reilly's or flamíng river's joint type replacement coupler. If I understood correctly, this requires cutting and drilling the shaft? Any thoughts about this joint coupler, is it worth the money? All the comments are greatly appreciated :2thumbs:
It appears to work very well, lots of guys use them for Dodge trucks to upgrade worn out coupling bodys.  Also it's a U joint with torrington bearings, much better than the factory set-up.
I bought one for my car, but it doesn't fit.  73 + cars also have a rag joint incorporated with the coupling.  The Flaming river coupler is too short to replace both.
I bought mine from Summit a year ago and just tried to install it last month :(
I had to use the factory coupler...
Anyone want to buy a Flaming River one?

DukesofHoward

Quote from: chargerman68 on September 24, 2007, 10:57:43 AM

I had the same problem. Called a friend over and he held it while I staked the tabs.

Hemidog

I've got the Flaming river coupler, replaced a worn idler arm, and i thightened the power steering today, i've got about ZERO play in my steering, It's Great!  :2thumbs:

Blown68Coronet

Hey Paul I'd be interested in the flaminfg river piece.

doctorpimp

caddman

flaming river has a coupler that appears to be longer (part number R1505P).
does anyone know if this one will work on the 73 column?  my coupler and rag joint are shot.  rag joint is outragously priced.

thanks

caddman

doctorpimp

I think it will.
It's made for the power to non-power conversion using the same column.
Since you have to cut the column anyway, that other one may be the way to go.

caddman

the R1505P is not for the conversion (according to there website anyway) it is the one just for use with power steering.
i really would like to find some dimensions on this thing before i buy it.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=213/category_id=116/home_id=82/mode=prod/prd213.htm

caddman

doctorpimp

This is the one you possibly could use:

caddman

guess i will call flaming river and see what they have to say about it.
just seems to me the joint should be at the column end not the steering box end.

doctorpimp

Actually, I think the joint should be at the steering box end, and take the place of the coupler AND rag joint.

caddman

I emailed Flaming River, they informed me that part number R1506P is the correct replacement for the 73 charger with power steering.  i'm placing my order this week, probably from Summit Racing.  wish me luck!

caddman

doctorpimp

Quote from: caddman on November 01, 2007, 09:22:15 AM
I emailed Flaming River, they informed me that part number R1506P is the correct replacement for the 73 charger with power steering.  i'm placing my order this week, probably from Summit Racing.  wish me luck!

caddman
Don't order that one!  That is the one I have and it doesn't fit!!!

That's the one pictured in the photo above in a 68 Charger - totally different than the '73 + B bodies.  I belive that the column may be the same length, but with the rag joint the Flaming River 1506P is about 1" too short for our application.

Have them confirm their info, most times manufacturer's lump the late B in with the other 73 & 74 Mopars.  They don't know about our insulated K frames etc...

If you still want to get the 1506P, I have one for sale...

caddman

Quote from: doctorpimp on November 01, 2007, 02:55:47 PM
Quote from: caddman on November 01, 2007, 09:22:15 AM

caddman
Don't order that one!  That is the one I have and it doesn't fit!!!

That's the one pictured in the photo above in a 68 Charger - totally different than the '73 + B bodies.  I belive that the column may be the same length, but with the rag joint the Flaming River 1506P is about 1" too short for our application.

Have them confirm their info, most times manufacturer's lump the late B in with the other 73 & 74 Mopars.  They don't know about our insulated K frames etc...

If you still want to get the 1506P, I have one for sale...

i was some what affraid that was the case, so i hadn't placed the order yet.  and if it is too short then no i don't want to buy it. lol.
i'm guessing that there is no other way to rebuild my column other than factory replacement parts then?  (i don't like the factory setup, it makes me marvel at the fact that it works.)  thanks for the heads up though.  i think i will be ordering the factory replacement parts instead.  thanks friend.

caddman