News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger Resto-Mod

Started by vita, September 21, 2018, 06:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vita

While I was deployed,  I came across a 1970 Charger RT with a non-matching 440 on the facebook market from Kentucky.   The car had previously been used as a parts car in the past, and was destined for the crusher before the previous owner bought it.    By my understanding, the car was then placed in a shed where it sat for the last countless years.      What I was told the car came with is from the factory:

F5 Green
tan interior
factory air
Power Steering
Power Brakes
bucket seats
console car
front disc brakes
3.55 rear

The car has been gone through and stripped of a lot over the years.  It's missing the build sheet and the fender tag,  so rather than trying to get it back to stock I'm going to make it more personalized.    Though this is going to be a looong journey,   and I'm sure I'll be poking in frequently for help,  I appreciate the assistance you guys can give me.

A buddy of mine works on projects frequently, and will be helping me with the paint and body.  He's working at a shop where they restore classic mustangs and I am able to use the shop for free. Replace what I use,  fix what I break, and clean up when I'm done.    It sounds like a great deal for me!  Lucky for me, a neighbor also rebuilds old Mopar engines,  so that 440 is going to a machine shop, then to his place when I can work out a deal with him.   I just have to try and get all the parts and start getting it together!     I still currently haven't seen the car, and will be back to Texas in a few days from the deployment to start the work.  

I plan on going all black exterior, no vinyl, black interior.  I also want to rebuild the 440 with a soft goal of 600 hp.   Disc brakes all around,  Dana 60 in the rear. I also plan on updating the suspension with QA1 (or similar) to help get this handling a bit better.   I have already bought some metal from AMD to fix the known heavy rusted areas, like the entire floor, deck tray, and both back panels.  

My main thing I need help with right now is trying to identify if I am missing something if its not on the car.  Also,  I need a wide variety of parts and have no idea what is compatible with other cars from the b-body era.   I'll include some pictures below that I received and take more when I get home next week.  The big question is...  what do I need and where do I find them!

jefferson

Awesome project mate! Goodluck with it all!

Ghoste

The biggest thing you will need is patience.  Second biggest is money.   Under the skin, ther are a lot of parts that will interchange and as far as what is missing, it looks like a lot has been robbed from it.

Mytur Binsdirti

Looks more like a rusto-mod to me.

wingcar

WOW, major project for sure.....one thing you will need is a parts car. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

HeavyFuel

Reminds me of this little project....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvWSsAgtJE#action=share

There has GOT to be a better car out there to use as a starting point.

JB400

Being that you're going resto mod, I think you got a good starting point.  It looks like all the door stuff is still there.  The closer to stock you stay, the more it'll cost.
A

Ghoste

I don't know JB, I've seen some enormous sums put into non-stock.   ;)

vita

I appreciate the heads up,  and mainly support for taking on the project.  I know its a large build,  but,  that's why I got into it.   I've wanted one since I was a kid, so,  why not pull the trigger on one.  Besides,  with it being so stripped,  I felt it was an awesome candidate for a more "pro-style" type build.     

I will need to keep reading up on these, and will gladly accept advise that keeps me going on it.    What I need to do for switching to a rack and pinion steering,  what needs to be modified? Whats the differences in the Dana 60 rear ends between years?    Best wiring kits when re-wiring the entire car?    The list is obviously, very, very long.

:2thumbs:

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 21, 2018, 09:37:39 AM
I don't know JB, I've seen some enormous sums put into non-stock.   ;)
True, but usually only by those that try to make it like a Camaro