News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Source for Tuff Wheels...I know someone makes them?

Started by AKcharger, May 07, 2006, 12:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I NEED a tuff Wheel for my '72, that factory wheel hits my legs whenever I get in and out...anyway I know someone is making ones that at least LOOK like them, you guys know where to get them? In Mopar Action there's an add for early e-body tuff wheels but their different from the "B-body" ones (why am I telling you guys this..I'm dealing with amateurs)

Also do you need anything else with them? caps, extensions or anything?

Thanks

AK

ScottW

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

AKcharger

Yup, that's it, thanks Scott! ahhh and the adapter too, the person selling the new ones does seem to offer that, I'll ask

Thanks Again!

hemihead

Grant makes one that is a really close knock off.You can find them at Auto Parts stores.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

dkn1997

If all you want is a wheel that is similar, save major coin and get a grant wheel from summit.  It looks very close to a tuff wheel, but is actually a little smaller.

With slight mods, you can get an OE tuff wheel horn/adapter to work with it.  really easy, just have to drill the grant wheel and tap 3 holes.

I replaced my original, slightly wasted tuff wheel with a grant and i love it.  has a molded foam grip instead of a leather one like an original wheel, but it costs 30 bucks.  If you want to go the extra step, strip the grey paint off the spokes and clearcoat the bare metal. 

It's not an exact copy, no step at the ends of the spokes, wrong grip, smaller, and the "clocking' of the spokes is not exact, but for 30 bucks, who cares?  mint originals fetch 5-700 bucks and that repro, while very nice and correct, aint cheap either.

it's the grant model 860 wheel.  comes with black or grey spokes.  does not matter which one if you plan to sand the paint off.  honestly, I sanded my paint off and regret it.  does not look that great.  comes with a flat grey finish new and it would have been just fine.
RECHRGED

Darkness

Well the tuff wheels are nice but, $250 for one is a bit steep. I myself prefer the look of a Grant 860 as mentioned in a post of above. Not sure on how you want to keep things but, the grant wheel is smaller than the $250 wheel and if you need to replace you can buy one for $30-$40. Here's a pic of mine on my 71 Chally.

dkn1997

That's the one.  I see you had the same problem as I did sanding the spokes...the paint nust near the outside edges of the spokes.  very hard to get it off without damaging the foam
RECHRGED

AKcharger

WOW! I'm sold! two questions
- Know source for the adapter
- does the cap/horn cover come with it?

AK

dkn1997

you can get a grant adapter for it, and it comes with a grant horn button.  does not look right though.  best bet it to find an OE tuff adaptor/horn button and modify wheel to fit.  as far as I know, nobody is repopping either.  you can stll find them reasonably cheap.
RECHRGED

Nacho-RT74

IMHO...

Go with the right one or with a very different one, not wit a non close enough. That Grant's wheel looks ugly, goofy or whatever you want to call it.

I like the 1st gen mustangs ones better than those Grant.

just my 2 cents.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemihead

I think the Grant looks pretty good, especially for the price.Not too much of any other Mopar alternatives made yet.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

dkn1997

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 08, 2006, 11:23:48 PM
IMHO...

Go with the right one or with a very different one, not wit a non close enough. That Grant's wheel looks ugly, goofy or whatever you want to call it.

I like the 1st gen mustangs ones better than those Grant.

just my 2 cents.

no
RECHRGED