News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proper Charger etiquette?

Started by b5blue, August 21, 2018, 06:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

A while back I came home to a note stuck in my door asking if my Charger was for sale. Today a note in my mailbox asking the same thing. It's not been for sale for over 23 years and isn't going to be, it will be handed down in the family.
 Having had 2 vintage cars stolen (at a total loss) I'm not really inclined to want to call the numbers listed on the notes. 23 years of this kind of thing and every time I did talk to someone it's the same thing. They always hope to score some super cheap deal.
  Do you guys run around leaving "Is it for sale?" notes on every Mopar you see? Do you expect a call back when you do? Is it common to expect most folks with an older car to want to sell it but not put a sign of some sort on the car and advertise it someway?  I don't want to be rude or some ass about this, The guy who beat on my door to ask is it for sale didn't know I was cooking dinner but I kinda laughed and replied "Like I'm too stupid to put a sign on it or run an ad." (It felt awkward later.)
   :shruggy:

F8-4life

"Proper" charger etiquette is to keep it.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

Toss the note in the trash can and move on with your life.

Troy

Isn't there an old saying like "you'll never know unless you ask". I can't imagine people will be offended if you don't reach out to them as it was a "shot in the dark" any way. And more than likely they were hoping you had no idea what it's worth. It does bother me a little when people seem to know where my cars are and when I'm not home but I have never gotten a not there. I have had offers while driving and notes left at shows.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ryan.C

I get that question from time to time as well. Since I have no intention on selling the car I just tell them I would need north of 100K before I would consider a sale. That seems to stop the conversation right there.  :rofl:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

b5blue

Yea just reaching out, I'm sure most have been there. A few asked about my flat fender Willys CJ-3A before it just disappeared one night. Greed makes some brash. Only once a young fella respectfully offered 10K he had saved but did so knowing it was not enough. The rest were bullcrap offers and my car isn't even all that good.

RallyeMike

Well, I have a tendency to only buy junkers so I would probably not bother you  :lol:  However, I picked up some great cars leaving notes and knocking on doors. Best of all, I have made a few decades-long friendships this way.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

paironines

Ive asked on what feels like 100 cars in my life if they were for sale and the answer was always no. Then I asked on a pair of 68 Chargers and scored them for $1500. So yeah ya never know.

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Think: you're a really sexy chick.  How do you handle guys making passes at you?  

It's going to happen so don't think too hard about it.  Don't get easily offended, and don't get too worried about offending someone else.  Assuming they weren't rude about it, give them one polite-but-clear response.  Don't feel obligated to continue engaging with them after that.  If they keep pestering then they're the one being a dickhead and crossing lines.  

But, do hold onto their info for a while.  It can't hurt.  If somebody turns into a pest or something gets stolen then you may be glad you kept the initial contact as evidence later.    

bull

The people asking don't know your history. I asked an old lady about her '69 Charger once and she got mad because, as she put it, "why does everybody think I need to sell my car?" Now whenever I ask I usually ask about cars I know will never be restored, probably because that's all I can afford. But as we all know the rusty, yard art car owners can be just as testy. Still, the cars are worth saving so there's no reason to feel bad asking about those.

My answer to the "problem" of being hassled myself is constant motion. When I drive I just don't stop to listen to people but even then I've gotten one or two phony offers from rolling buyers. Rarely stopping at stores, running errands, etc., seems to do the trick. Just drive it out of the garage and back in a few hours later, that way the excited comments only happen once in a while at the gas station and stop lights.

Birdflu

charger_fan_4ever

On a restored driving car i would never leave a note or ask how much since it clearly isn't listed for sale. That leads to the old saying everything is for sale for a price. So unless i was ready to considerably over pay I wouldn't waste the persons time. The scoring a deal days are long gone.

If it was a rusty pile then maybe i would enquire.

davidcam69

I left a note on the windshield of a 66 Plymouth Satellite Hemi once.  One year later he called and I ended up buying it.  It was all original and original owner.  Great deal!   

Homerr

Quote from: Troy on August 21, 2018, 09:09:20 PM
Isn't there an old saying like "you'll never know unless you ask"....

Another saying is "You have to give people an opportunity to say 'yes'".

I've gotten two notes on my 1994 F150 in the year I've owned it.  It's set up as what I think is the ideal urban home work truck and I think others noticed it.  I just put the notes in the ashtray and I'll call them if I ever sell it.

For a Charger I'd say that I'd be annoyed if I got a flipper/dreamer vibe, but for any other enthusiast I'd take it as a compliment.  And if I was selling a Charger I'd consider calling any bona fide sounding buyer first and holding firm to my top end price, otherwise the car would be publicly listed.

I think that note leaving buyers should keep that in mind, that they might get a chance at first refusal but it may come at a premium price.  Or they might get a runaway deal from a non-enthusiast seller.

68 RT

Someone who really wants it will show up with a wad of cash! Most people are just dreamers and don't have 2 nickels to rub together.  :Twocents:

Ponch ®

I ignore the notes. The annoying ones are those who come up to you in person at a gas station or Whole Foods parking lot and ask if its for sale, then proceed to either a) tell you youre dumb for not selling or b) rant about how it isn't worth what i think it is because his cousin knows a guy who lives down the street from his uncle who's selling one just like it for [ridiculously low price]; therefore I should be grateful that he is even making me that generous offer.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

wingcar

Unfortunately, it comes with owning a classic car.......just live with it
(Only other option is to sell it and start driving a new rice burner.....)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

69bronzeT5

I rarely do but have. Most with good luck....

I left a note on my SRT-4 when it was sitting on the street parked. A few months later the owner (older lady who was the original owner) called me and explained how she was sick and couldn't drive it anymore. She sold it to me on the promise I keep it. I still have it and will always.

Found another SRT-4 sitting the other day. Flat tires, dirty, expired....been there a while. Left my number on it asking if they'd sell. No reply yet.

Found a B5 Blue 340 '71 Super Bee in a driveway. Could tell it's been sitting forever. Rusty, flat tires, covered in mildew. Left a note on the door a few months ago but no reply yet.

A friend found a rusty '70 Challenger sitting in a parking lot in an industrial area. I left a note on it asking if they wanted to sell to call me. A month or so later the guy called me wanting to sell. Turns out it was a parts car for a '70 Hemi Orange R/T he is restoring. He told me he wanted to sell both. Upon closer look, the parts car was too rough for me to fix. My boss ended up buying both and is now finishing the restoration on the R/T.

I'm a firm believer of if you don't ask, you will never know.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Old Moparz

I've found a note or two on my Satellite convertible & just tossed them away since I have no intentions of selling. I've only left one note on a car many years ago, a 1970 Sport Satellite that was pretty clean with buckets, console & a factory, two tone paint job. Would have made a nice daily driver at the time. I completely forgot about it, but about 6 months later I got a phone call from some kid asking me if I still wanted it. When I remembered the car, I said I'd take a look at it & did. WOW, what a POS it turned into in such a short time when a 17 year old who can't drive, does.  ::)

He dented up almost every piece of sheet metal on it & blew up the transmission.  :eyes:

Said he wanted $150 for it with the engine or $100 without it because one of his friends needed it for his car. I offered him $75 which he took & had a friend of mine tow it to my house. I parted it out, kept some things for my GTX & sold most of the other stuff that year at the Englishtown swap meet. The best part of the deal was trading the OEM driver's side, quarter panel that I cut off for a complete, mint, 1970 air grabber hood & all the parts that go with it.   :cheers:  Back then the A/G hood set up was going for $400 or so, which I still have.   :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry