News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Please decode my fender tag

Started by jefferson, August 22, 2018, 01:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLK 68 R/T

Did you check out the link 70 Sublime posted? Should tell you about everything you want to know.

jefferson

Quote from: jefferson on August 22, 2018, 08:15:39 PM
thanks heaps man

what does all that other engine number BS mean?. All looks like crypted codes to my eyes lmao.

sure did mate thats why im confused, because the engine serial number has PT361S at the start but the other number stats its a 440.

Shouldnt my engine number state PT440 ?

youve told me its deffs a 440, but the engine number reads 361 where as the block cast decodes to a 440.

lol.

BLK 68 R/T

Probably a Monday or Friday build and the stamp person just picked the wrong ones. Does it have any #s stamped by the oil sending unit next to where the bel housing mounts?

jefferson

Not that me and the mechanic could see mate
All the other numbers are the ones I've uploaded
Here is a full pic right now of the whole engine bay

jefferson

6bblgt

one of the strangest things I've seen - must've been bored to death in the engine shop that day  :brickwall:

top pad:
D 440
3 23 HP

D = 1968 model year
440 = cu.in.
3 23 = 3/23/68 final assembly date - SATURDAY
HP = hi-performance

bottom stamping:
PT361S 24292314
PT = Trenton, MI engine assembly plant
361 = cu.in. * has got to be a JOKE, 361 is a "B" engine block, 440 is a RB engine block, were they even making 361s in '68?
S = special (typical for 440HP engines)
2429 = short block assembly date 3/22/68 - FRIDAY
2314 = unit sequence number

there should be a partial VIN stamping on the back of the block near the oil pressure sending unit

jefferson

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 23, 2018, 02:53:46 AM
one of the strangest things I've seen - must've been bored to death in the engine shop that day  :brickwall:

top pad:
D 440
3 23 HP

D = 1968 model year
440 = cu.in.
3 23 = 3/23/68 final assembly date - SATURDAY
HP = hi-performance

bottom stamping:
PT361S 24292314
PT = Trenton, MI engine assembly plant
361 = cu.in. * has got to be a JOKE, 361 is a "B" engine block, 440 is a RB engine block, were they even making 361s in '68?
S = special (typical for 440HP engines)
2429 = short block assembly date 3/22/68 - FRIDAY
2314 = unit sequence number

there should be a partial VIN stamping on the back of the block near the oil pressure sending unit

yea i know man, confused me too, never ever seen or heard or even known of any dodge chargers to have a 361 engine, im sure they were around in other cars but seems strange for a charger to have a 361 in it, just doesnt sound right lol .

ill recheck again tomorrow for the vin stamping on the back of the block near the oil prssure sending unit, didnt really see anything though that looked like a vin, but ill double check

im at a loss, all my documents on the car indicate its a 440, reciepts and paperwork. The pad says its a 440 but the engine number indicates its a 361, im sure mistakes like this happen but who knows  :shruggy:

any other suggestions? I know this isnt by all means an indication but she sure is loud and has grunt when i start her up and give her a good flooring hahahahah.

jefferson

Could it be more than likely that the engine number is just a printing mistake?  :-\

jefferson

what would the  partial VIN stamping on the back of the block near the oil pressure sending unit indicate anyways fellas?

ive go 2 out of 3 photos here of my charger telling me its a 440 lol and the engine number teling me its a 361. Damn if i know anymore.

70 sublime

Quote from: jefferson on August 23, 2018, 04:35:48 AM
what would the  partial VIN stamping on the back of the block near the oil pressure sending unit indicate anyways fellas?

ive go 2 out of 3 photos here of my charger telling me its a 440 lol and the engine number teling me its a 361. Damn if i know anymore.

If you can find the number stamped on the back of the motor by the oil pressure gauge it should be the same as the last part of the VIN on the dash at the windshield if it is the original motor the car was born with
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

maxwellwedge

Check the casting numbers on the side of the block.

As for the top pad......On a B-series engine (361/383 etc), it should be on the passenger-side next to the distributor on top of the block while tall-deck RB (413, 426, and 440 wedge) engines have a similar pad on the driver's side of the engine at the top and front of the block.

jefferson

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 23, 2018, 05:10:25 AM
Quote from: jefferson on August 23, 2018, 04:35:48 AM

If you can find the number stamped on the back of the motor by the oil pressure gauge it should be the same as the last part of the VIN on the dash at the windshield if it is the original motor the car was born with

Hey sub. It is not the original engine. I know that for a fact. Its not a numbers matching charger 。

jefferson

Quote from: maxwellwedge on August 23, 2018, 08:19:34 AM

As for the top pad......On a B-series engine (361/383 etc), it should be on the passenger-side next to the distributor on top of the block while tall-deck RB (those desirable 413, 426, and 440 wedge) engines have a similar pad on the driver's side of the engine at the top and front of the block.

I thought i posted the casting number? Check the imgur links i posted. Im confused now lol

jefferson

As for the top pad......On a B-series engine (361/383 etc), it should be on the passenger-side next to the distributor on top of the block while tall-deck RB (those desirable 413, 426, and 440 wedge) engines have a similar pad on the driver's side of the engine at the top and front of the block.

Block cast is 253643010

jefferson

I just don't understand how the.engine number claims 361 and the cast and other part indicates 440. How the hell does that work ? Something wierd going on.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: jefferson on August 23, 2018, 08:38:17 AM

Block cast is 253643010

You are good. That is a 440 casting number. The bottom stamping was a factory boo-boo. It happens. I had a Hemi that was stamped MN626 on the bottom. As far as I know, Chrysler never made a 626 Hemi - Lol.

hemigeno

Quote from: jefferson on August 22, 2018, 06:56:02 PM
Few photos i got
https://imgur.com/a/yxoJeyK

https://imgur.com/a/Fl3OaoE

https://imgur.com/a/UvGM11S

:shruggy:

Here are the pictures from the links above (easier to see what's happening):

Homerr

Looks like the Fri/Sat engine shop guys were high AF.

70 sublime

What is the B turned on its side above the 440 mean ??

Looks like smaller size lettering than every thing else
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemigeno

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 23, 2018, 11:52:52 AM

Took me a while to find any reference to that apart from GG's white books.  I don't have a '68 Parts Book to confirm that it's the same for D-Series engines, but that's likely the case.  "B" stamps are also referenced in the 1969 Technical Service Bulletins, but that reference implied a "B" was used only on 273 & 318 engines.  The Parts Manual does not make such a distinction.  I have found nothing else to dispute what GG and the '69 Parts Books say.

jefferson

Hemigeno mate
Do you believe my engine is at least a 440 and can agree its a printing error on the engine no? Lol

jefferson

Quote from: hemigeno on August 23, 2018, 01:52:09 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on August 23, 2018, 11:52:52 AM

Took me a while to find any reference to that apart from GG's white books.  I don't have a '68 Parts Book to confirm that it's the same for D-Series engines, but that's likely the case.  "B" stamps are also referenced in the 1969 Technical Service Bulletins, but that reference implied a "B" was used only on 273 & 318 engines.  The Parts Manual does not make such a distinction.  I have found nothing else to dispute what GG and the '69 Parts Books say.

So now that B could state its a 273 or 318 engine?

Strange charger ive bought. Lmao. I love her and she isnt going anywhere ever but shes strange.

hemigeno

Quote from: jefferson on August 23, 2018, 05:16:27 PM
Hemigeno mate
Do you believe my engine is at least a 440 and can agree its a printing error on the engine no? Lol

Yes, I absolutely agree with everyone that it's a 440 with a stamping error on the pan rail.  The "B" doesn't mean anything unless your engine is really low-mileage and has never been rebuilt, but you still wanted to order new bearings.

The '69 TSB information about "B" stamping being used on only 273 & 318's was mentioned - not because I believe it to be true and applicable to your engine, but because I found it at odds with my own observations.  I've seen other 440 engines with a "B" stamping, but did not recall off the top of my head what that designator meant... so I went looking in my reference materials and found the same basic meaning but with different engine applications depending on which reference was used.  I found it interesting, but didn't mean to imply your engine is not legit.  It is.

For what it's worth, I did manage to find the corresponding 1968 TSB page... and it has the same instruction for "B" which appears pretty much the same in my '69 book.  Document credit for the '68 stuff goes to Hamtramck-Historical.com...   :2thumbs:

jefferson