News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic car insurance companys...still having problems

Started by AKcharger, May 06, 2006, 02:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hi guys need your advice.
Untill recently I used State Farm since I didn't meet the garage requirements of the "classic car" companys. Well now that both cars are tucked away in deep storage for at least a year, I can do some shopping. I was automatically going to go with hagerty since I've seen their name over and over but are there any others you guys have used and are happy with?

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

NHCharger

I have Hagerty for my Chargers. $277/yr for both, combined value of 35k. I've never had a claim so I can not give you any input on their service. They will ask for pics of your car.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

nh_mopar_fan

I use Grundy. Never had an issue other than the fact that they won't take plastic for payment. But, I've never had a claim either.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use www.americancollectorsins.com

While you're browzing the site, check out the car of the week, and see who was for the week of March 6th :)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Old Moparz

I've had Condon & Skelly, here's a link with a similar question that covers a lot of the same answers.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9251.0.html
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

greenpigs

Hagerty for me.

I have 12K coverage that costs me $125 a year I think I have a mileage limit of 5K. Like that matters as the car is screwed and not going to move again for a few years.
:icon_smile_dead:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

69charger2002

i have 7 on hagerty insurance.. with all of them insured for 15-35k each, i pay $698 a year. hard to beat. no claims as of yet, i'll try and keep it that way.. i don't know if there are any mileage requirements with them but they didn't even ask for my odometer readings, so how would they know how many miles i use? anyway if you use them, make SURE you use original, not modified.. they had my general lee as "modified" at first, which bumper the price up almost double on that one car.. later i convinced them it is a stock car with a $250 decal kit
travis
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

resq302

We have used Hagerty for all 3 of our cars and had no problems.  A friend of mine who had a 68 Impala SS had a stone put a bullseye in his windshield on the way to a show and they replaced it no questions asked and had someone go directly to his house to replace it.  Supposedly, the windshield cost $900 but it was for a PPG windshield but they replaced it no questions asked or hike in insurance. 

I give Hagerty  :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Todd Wilson

Why dont you call State Farm back. They have classic insurance and its real reasonable. Might be easier to convert the cars to it since you already have State Farm.  I have State Farm  and got my 71 over to classic and it was easy to do and a lot cheaper then regular insurance.

Todd

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 06, 2006, 10:09:07 AM
I use www.americancollectorsins.com

While you're browzing the site, check out the car of the week, and see who was for the week of March 6th :)

Like Chris, I also have American Collectors. And, I WORK for State Farm. State Farm is hard to beat in NJ for regular auto insurance. I'd consider them 2nd only after NJ Manufacturers.
However, for collector insurance, I HIGHLY recommend American Collectors. I speak from experience, because I unfortunately had to put in a claim with them after a heartbreaking scenario with my '70 R/T. Some members of this board are probably very familiar with it.
A.C. REALLY came through for me in my claim. I was able to fix my car, located all NOS parts I needed, no questions asked. The appraiser they used was very knowledgable.
I have heard good things about Hagerty, but for those that own modified cars I'm not too sure they insure them. I might be wrong, I can only speak from experience with A.C.
Good Luck with whatever company you choose!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

AKcharger

Thanks Guys, have a few more to look at now. I didn't think about American Collectors, I'll give them a look.

I think I got a quote of $385 for bothcars; the '70 at $35K and the '72 at $20K

Tood, SF is fine but the policy I have isn't really the same as collectors. They had to inspect car and see appraisal but I got the feeling if I made a claim I'd have some work on my hands to get true value. I'm happy with SF, don't get me wrong but the policy I have is more of a compromise since I didn't have a garage...Oh and I lived on-base at Langley so I rode my Bike to work, that made me short one car since you need 1 car per licensed driver beside the insured ones.

Thanks again Guys!!!

AKcharger

WOW well this sure is difficult!
Hagerty, American Collectors and Condon and Shelly all gave me the thumbs down :down: with the reason being the cars are registered in Alaska. I guess you have to be licensed there? Cars are being stored in Pennsylvania but the state of registry seems to be the hang up. Well waiting on Grundy but if they blow me off too any other suggestions?

bull

Quote from: AKcharger on May 14, 2006, 04:50:55 AM
WOW well this sure is difficult!
Hagerty, American Collectors and Condon and Shelly all gave me the thumbs down :down: with the reason being the cars are registered in Alaska. I guess you have to be licensed there? Cars are being stored in Pennsylvania but the state of registry seems to be the hang up. Well waiting on Grundy but if they blow me off too any other suggestions?

I know that Hagerty requires that your car be in a locked storage area so I can see why they might have a problem with your situation. I mean, if the cars are registered 6000 miles from where they are actually located you will no doubt run into some problems.

AKcharger

Well they are in locked secure storage. In fact they're on the 2nd floor of the building so sliping in and driving it away is about impossible. I thought ins companys would have jumped on this. Zero risk, cars sitting with no driving for a full year, it doesn't get any better. Well waiting on Grundy...

cobradriver

694spdRT

It is probably because of licensing issue in the state more than anything. My agent said Haggerty was not licensed in WI until a few years ago.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

cobradriver

if you all thought trying to get good insurance for a charger is hard try getting it for a kit car cobra....after 6 no's i get one yes......

Brock Samson

J.C. Taylor Antique Automobile Insuance Agency. INC.
320 South 69th ( ;D) Street
Upper Darby. PA. 19082
1800-345-8290

I've been with them since '1984 and they have allways been GREAT!  ;)

now i'm adding the Runner, which they they will insure up to $30,000 without an apprasial.

lettuce know how it turns out. GOOD HUNTING!  :icon_smile_wink:

AKcharger

Thanks Bird man! It looks like Grundy might be a "go" but I'll keep J.C. Taylor as a back up!

Oh Cobra...what is the deal with those kit cars? why wouln't anyone touch them??

cobradriver

because people are getting killed in them.....very high fatality rate....not to mention the unbelieveable accelaration....lol.....mine was close to 500hp with an 1834 lbs car.....loud loud loud....fast fast fast...i have more than one occasion brought the car up to speeds that should be only done at tracks...but thats not the reason i sold it.....to hot in the summer...exposed.....wife was scared of it...and hard to maintain since everything was semi custom done...but it was fun while i had it...but now i have my dream car...a 2nd gen charger with a MINT body!!......

Todd Wilson

I dont understand there AK why you couldnt get insurance with State Farm.   I took the car up to the agent and they took pictures  we went inside and talked about a price to insure the 71 for and that was the end of it. They did say to keep plenty of paper work in a safe place as you might have to prove its worth if something bad happened. Keep reciepts and auto shoppers with other cars in it to prove price.  My only requirements were garage storage and not to drive it to work (Aka daily driver). No mileage limits or times of year. As long as I wasnt driving it to work I could drive it in a blizzard and all is well. Of course that would never happen but they were real easy and had it all out in black and white. They told me they want me to drive the car and enjoy it thats why theres no limits on things.   By going to classic insurance it dropped my monthly cost down for the car.   I now have an antique tag for it which is 17$ a year to tag it.  And m insurance is 12$ or 13$ a month for the classic. Very cheap to keep this old car around now for me.

Todd

AKcharger

No no Todd, I already have insurance with State farm, in fact I'm happy with them. The problem is I feel that if I had to make a claim I'd have a hard time getting the cars value. When I 1st insured it I used the 2003 appraised value of $26K and while I thought that very high then, I don't think I could replace it for that much now. That's why I'm looking for a specialty company that uses agreed value. I think I'd need at least $35K to replace my car and $15K to replace my wife's but to get that from SF would be a battle I'm sure. That's why I'm after an "agreed value" policy

AK

JimShine

My Charger is insured through Hanover. Upon signing I had to put down a good sized payment, but I also have no payments for the last three months of the policy. I have comprehensive insurance on the car. It was recommended to get an appraisal of the car but for now I have it at $15K (it is a home done resto and only a 318 car, when the 440 is dropped in I will get an appraisal and adjust the insured value from there). The good thing is that the mileage is unlimited.