News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rod kick down 383 engine with 727 transmission adjustment

Started by Jas, July 18, 2018, 09:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jas

Is there anyone who knows exactly how to adjust a kick down rod on a 383 with a 727 transmission?

I have a carburetor Holley 650 ... I know must keep the carburetor gas at the bottom and adjust the rod at the bottom too, but I heard I had to leave a lense of 1/8 "...

If you have images with your information please ....

c00nhunterjoe

Before we get started, do you have the correct Holley linkage adapter on the carb?

John_Kunkel

This is another case where the FSM is your friend. You can download a copy at:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Jas

Jas

John_Kunkel

Sigh. You have to download the manual and open it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bee1971

And year

My 1971 Bee factory linkage has a 1 piece rod that you loosen a bolt to adjust

Canadian1968

remove the slotted rod that goes onto the carb.  Hold the slotted rod forward so that it does not fall back down towards the transmission.  The lever arm on the carb should should be lined up with the back of the slot in the threaded rod.  Not in the middle , not at the front.  Adjust threaded rod so slot is lined up properly , then slide it back onto the lever arm of the carb.  Install washers and c-clip or whatever you are using, hook the spring back up that holds the kick down linkage forward.

Car off, have some in the car put the pedal to the floor, make sure carb is opening fully. With the linkage at WOT , try to push back on the slotted rod only , there shouldn't be much more that 1/4" play if any at all.

Take the car for a drive and see how it shifts, see if it will kick down into passing gear.

If it does not kick down  you can thread the slotted rod OUT further or make it LONGER you don't want shorter.

If the car kicks down but shifts to harsh or holds second to long. You can SHORTEN the slotted rod, just make sure you don't loose your passing gear. 

Jas