News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Started by Sean, July 16, 2018, 04:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparpoolman

Quote from: Sean on July 18, 2018, 08:59:34 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on July 18, 2018, 05:13:36 PM
Quote from: EccentricMagpies on July 18, 2018, 03:35:12 PM
It does seem odd to have a buyer (OP) committed to buy the car and still advertise it for sale at a car show.

IDK, the OP is somewhat ambiguous as to whether they already had a deal (be it handshake or formal) for the car, or whether he was flying up to the seller to check out the car and then strike a deal.

Nothing ambiguous, we had a deal.
Did you see the car in person and talk with the seller face to face?  Did you give a deposit?  Sounds like you thought you had a deal but the seller thought something different.  It's over, move on, find another car, don't make the same mistake

BrianShaughnessy

My advice is to move on for now.   

Let the seller have it repaired.   He should have insurance on it.   If he doesn't, it's his problem.

if you're still looking after the car gets repaired then that's another matter.   if it was me the offer would be substantially less.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Sean on July 18, 2018, 09:00:34 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on July 18, 2018, 06:37:34 PM
Need to see some pictures of a bent car will put this all to rest
If seller will not send pictures then maybe it never got bent  :shruggy:

Seller still hasn't sent pics of damage

I'm going with it sold at Carlisle and you're getting a stream of BS. It sucks, I've been there, but it's best to move on. I put a deposit on a 68 R/T 4spd car and the guy made an excuse and sent back my deposit (thankfully that didn't go sideways) because someone said they were getting on a plane the next day to buy it for 4k more.  No surprise that they never showed.  I had a chance to buy it through a surrogate buyer (which is where the story came out) but I let it go. I figured if I had to be sneaky to buy the car it would end up being nothing but trouble to me in the end.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

chargervert

I also saw that car for sale in the car corral at Carlisle.  It was there for the whole weekend, and was never displayed in the show field.  The guy brought the car there to sell it.

Ponch ®

Think of it this way: Any time something like this (or even something totally minor, like a cracked windshield), we immediately see threads with tons of pictures pop up in every mopar forum and on social media, be it by the owner, a witness, or an enthusiast who heard about it and is shocked by the tragedy.

You're telling me no one's posted anything about it anywhere?

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

charger_fan_4ever

No Deposit no deal.

I learned recently selling a truck that the days of $500 deposits are not even enough anymore. Had 2 other buyers ready to go. The first guy needed an evaluation for his bank for the loan. He paid for it  as part of the $500 deposit and I got that done said if you dont get approved i will give you difference in deposit/evaluation back. Then on day of deposit asks if can send me $150 that day and balance the next didnt cash his paycheck.......  Then was one story after another as to why he couldn't come to get it after loan was suposedly ok. Always pointed that he would need the registration papers to plate it ect BEFORE he paid for it in full in order to drive it a province away. Apparently bank had even given him cash which sounded odd.

I said come with your other pick up and a trailer. More excuses, truck needed repairs ect. Finally I said you have a week to come get it and pay balance or game over deposit gone.

Never heard a thing until a month later asking if i still had it.(both other buyers had already moved on, but i had relisted it and sold it 3 weeks prior.)

So ya sometimes even with a deposit its a no sale.

Im upfront and say there is no verbal agreement here if no deposit its still for sale. Note to self next time would ask for a considerable deposit. $1-2000

Ponch ®

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 19, 2018, 02:26:28 PM
No Deposit no deal.

Im upfront and say there is no verbal agreement here if no deposit its still for sale. Note to self next time would ask for a considerable deposit. $1-2000

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

hemi-hampton

If the guy sold it at Carlisle why don't he just tell him Sorry, I already sold it at Carlisle. Why the excuses & the BS Stories :shruggy: LEON.

Sean

I'm chalking it up to he sold it at Carlisle after agreeing to sell it it me. Sh*t happens I guess, moving on to searching again smh

Kern Dog

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 19, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
If the guy sold it at Carlisle why don't he just tell him Sorry, I already sold it at Carlisle. Why the excuses & the BS Stories :shruggy: LEON.

Because many folks are incapable of accepting responsibility for their actions.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: Sean on July 19, 2018, 08:12:34 PM
I'm chalking it up to he sold it at Carlisle after agreeing to sell it it me. Sh*t happens I guess, moving on to searching again smh

Did it ever occur to you that the seller of the car might actually come onto this site himself (I did see a 2nd gen Charger in on of the pics also).   :brickwall:  Maybe he read your threads and saw "Thinking of buying" and "Planning on buying" and didn't see the seriousness of a purchase. :yesnod:

And to Mr. Ponch, do these documented and dated statements after the supposed "Deal" sound like a contract????   I don't think so.......Maybe you should go back to your cereal box. :lol:

chargervert

When I go to buy a car,I show up with cash and a trailer.  There is no doubt that if the car is what I am looking for, it will be on the trailer. When buying a car long distance, I  send a serious deposit  to seal the deal,and send the rest when the shipper picks up the car.

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: Sean on July 18, 2018, 08:57:45 PM
Quote from: chargervert on July 18, 2018, 01:14:16 PM
For 18k, I would deliver my 73 Charger to your door, providing the money is in my account before I go.

Details on your Charger?
Yeah.   Maybe this is your answer.   What are you looking for?
4 speed?  Big block?   Rallye?
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 19, 2018, 05:30:30 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 19, 2018, 02:26:28 PM
No Deposit no deal.

You have mad meme skills, but a failing grade in comprehensive reading.

I was just saying how I operate. If a seller is dumb enough to lock into a verbal agreement without getting a deposit then thats his problem. I know that in the U.S everyone sues each other for everything, but really as a buyer (who hasnt lost a dime) your going to hire a lawyer and sue ? Sue for what you? you didnt lose anything ? Sue cause your butthurt over hurt feelings ?

As a seller the guy doesnt want to complete the deal so your going to hire a lawyer and pay fees to find out the person doesn't have the money anyway ?

charger_fan_4ever

According to Ponch you can sue the buyer............... for what im not sure? Maybe if you quantify how much butt hurt you endured, a plea bargain could be struck lol

I bought one vehicle sight unseen just pics and had a buddy look at it. Note to self next time have the buddy take detailed pics as no two people have the same idea of what clean is.

In the future I could see not wanting to pay all upfront. But id call the deposit amount a gamble. Id pay an amount id be willing to lose if the rig isnt what i expected once I got there and make that clear to the seller before any money changes hands.

On the flip side I dont hold anything without a deposit and an agreement on how/when the balance is being paid.

Ponch ®

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 20, 2018, 10:06:32 AM

According to Ponch you can sue the buyer............... for what im not sure? Maybe if you quantify how much butt hurt you endured, a plea bargain could be struck lol

He could, ie. if he spent money on arrangements to pick up the car, or lost out on buying another car, and so on. Not saying it's worth his while in this particular instance, but he could. And yes, he should move on.

Just trying to knock down the common misconceptions about how in order to have a contract you need a piece of paper or a deposit. With some very narrow exceptions, you don't (although they certainly help). All you need is what is called "a meeting of the minds". The rest is a question of fact.  For future reference...

chargervert

Quote from: EccentricMagpies on July 20, 2018, 09:44:54 AM
Quote from: Sean on July 18, 2018, 08:57:45 PM
Quote from: chargervert on July 18, 2018, 01:14:16 PM
For 18k, I would deliver my 73 Charger to your door, providing the money is in my account before I go.

Details on your Charger?
Yeah.   Maybe this is your answer.   What are you looking for?
4 speed?  Big block?   Rallye?

73 Charger 318 4 barrel, automatic transmission, 71 Charger hidden headlight grille, 71 R / T taillights, dual exhaust valence with machine gun tips, bulge hood, and 71 gull wing. California car.

chargervert

I'm not really trying to sell this car,it is a driver that needs paint, but for 18k it would be gone.

VegasCharger

Quote from: chargervert on July 20, 2018, 12:01:05 PM
73 Charger 318 4 barrel, automatic transmission, 71 Charger hidden headlight grille, 71 R / T taillights, dual exhaust valence with machine gun tips, bulge hood, and 71 gull wing. AND '68 SIDE MARKERS. California car.

chargervert

I can't stand the generic marker lights used on 72 and up Mopars.  I  thought the 68 marker lights were a good fit on the 73.

chargervert

One more.

Ponch ®

Quote from: chargervert on July 20, 2018, 04:03:30 PM
One more.

Damn that's nice. I'd be all over it if I was looking.

chargervert

Like I said, I am not trying to sell it, but for 18k, I would let it go! I  like the car.  It's a good driver.  I have a 2014 5.7 Hemi engine from a wrecked Charger Police car,and an independent rear axle from a 2006 Charger R / T, that is the exact width of the 73 Chargers rear axle.  This would be the perfect place to put it.