News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Broken pushrod seat on rocker

Started by bakerhillpins, July 04, 2018, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Well, Carlisle is up in the air at the moment and I have a few questions.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

I was going through a bunch of systems in the 69 and needed to do the final torque down of the steering valve body on the steering gear (replaced the o-rings due to leaks). To torque the inner bolt I decided to take off the valve cover and that would give me the angle I needed to approach the bolt. Well I pulled the valve cover and found that the cup on the #3 intake pushrod was blown out. The pushrod is still sitting in the cup but the button cap popped off and I found it sitting in the front corner of the head. Everything on the head seems tight and I pulled the coil and turned over the engine and it doesn't show any sticking or binding at slow speeds. Looking at what I can see of the pushrod, it seems true. Since the cap cracked at the oil inlet I am assuming it fatigued and blew off since I bought the car as I had it open after I bought it. While that was in 11' I haven't really put that many miles on it.

Anyway, I can get replacements but have a few questions first.

Has anyone see this type of failure before?
Any concerns about just replacing the rocker (or both for that cylinder) and moving on?
What do the numbers on the rockers mean? I've got E21 and TE3 pairs on all cylinders except 1 and 8. They are in pairs on cylinders but are not specific to Intake/Exhaust. My 1 and 8 cylinders are all different #s.
The replacement rockers have different #s, can I use them? (Can't see why not and I suspect the answer above might answer this question)

Here's some pics... cuz we all love pics even when they suck.  :rotz:

First pic is broken on #3
2nd is cylinder #8
3rd is cylinder #1
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

chargerbr549

If I recall correctly years ago Direct Connection used to sell rocker arms that were thicker in that area to prevent the pushrod from breaking through the rocker arms but I don't know if they are available anymore. I've never had it happen to me but obviously there was an issue with some stock stamped rocker arms.

cdr

At The least you need to replace the push rod & that rocker, I would replace all the push rods and put on some Good adjustable rockers.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

PRH

Happens all the time.

Mix together a high performance cam and higher spring loads with rockers not designed for the added stress, and eventually they fail.

The numbers on the rockers are of no concern...... there's just "lefts" and "rights".

Replace the broken rocker and pushrod, and you're good to go.

If you intend to keep that system in place, I'd carry some spares with me, and the tools req'd to change them.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

bakerhillpins

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. Looking for spares now.

:cheers:

Quote from: PRH on July 05, 2018, 08:36:25 AM
Happens all the time.

Mix together a high performance cam and higher spring loads with rockers not designed for the added stress, and eventually they fail.

Yea, I have no idea what cam or springs are in this motor so that could easily be the root cause.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

John_Kunkel

You're lucky you caught it early.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

PRH

Often when the pushrod gets shoved through the rocker that far, it can toss the corresponding lifter out of its bore.... then the oil pressure goes to essentially zero.
And if you're really unlucky, it'll get tossed into the area exposing the cam in the valley and bang around a bit.
That can get ugly.

The one time it happened to me many years ago, the lifter was just laying there in the valley and I was able to get it back into its bore with just a magnet.
Popped in a "new" pushrod and rocker...... and I was back on the road.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

bakerhillpins

Quick follow up:

Tried to source a few rockers from the local autoparts stores but no one could get me the parts before I had to leave for Carlisle. So I drove across the state and got a set from NHCharger! I pulled out the pushrod and it was still true so I kept it. Noticed that another bank of rockers on that side had 2 LH rockers installed.  Replaced the rockers and she has been running fine and Carlisle was saved.  :lol: :2thumbs:

Thanks for all the help!
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Just 6T9 CHGR

You know I totally forgot about this when I saw you!  Glad it worked out!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T