News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ly rods and 6 ok rods

Started by charger chris, July 15, 2018, 06:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger chris

What is the good and bad  about these rods?
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

c00nhunterjoe

Ly rods were the desired sets back in the day, but with the cost of resizing and shot peening, you may as well buy a new set.

Challenger340

Quote from: charger chris on July 15, 2018, 06:29:54 PM
What is the good and bad  about these rods?

Some Engineer back in the day, had a problem at one time with the Beam section widths on the LY Rods, and figured they needed to be Bigger/Stronger. So they made BIG Beams similar to the HEMI Rods, and violla the 440 "six-pack" Rods were born.
only problem was....
they made them Bigger/Stronger alright, but also much HEAVIER ? And forgot while doing so, that NO Rod is stronger than it's Fastener or Rod Bolt, which they kept the same-same Rod Bolt as the lighter LY Rod ?

Long story short, that's the weak link in the 6-pack Rod being the Rod Bolt, which is further stressed by the Heavier 6-Pack Rod itself vrs the much lighter LY Rods.
and,
with most of today's aftermarket Forged Pistons for the 440's coming in around 900g with Pins, a full almost 1/2 Lb stress OFF the Rods compared with the stock 440 Pistons(1125g), the 'LY" Rods are just fine for most applications resized W/ARP Bolts.

But so much for the trivia.....
as mentioned, by the time you Buy ARP Bolts, and have the LY Rods resized properly, let be they are already 40-50 years old of unknown history ? There is a case to consider just buying aftermarket new Rods ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

bakerhillpins

Interesting tidbit. Thanks for posting Challenger340  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

flyinlow

40 years ago I used resized "six pack" rods , Mr. Gasket SPS rod bolts and TRW forged piston where "the" set up.  Must have had good rod bearing , because those parts where heavy and the bearings held up.

10 years ago I used resized low mileage LY rods, ARP bolts and light weight SRP forged pistons. No problems so far. (48K. miles)

Today I would probably just buy new stuff. Stronger, better bolts and you know the history.

charger chris

Thank you guys. I got both set of rods for really cheap so I figger I can't go wrong. I could always put them up for later uses.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone