News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 runs 180 degrees off. Something can't be right here...

Started by timmycharger, July 15, 2018, 08:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I am in the process of swapping out camshafts on my 440 and right before pulling out the distributor and timing chain I wanted to have #1 cyl at Top dead center and have the dots line up on the chain and make sure the rotor and slot are pointing to the right spots. 

As you can see in the pics, I have the dots lined up, the balancer on zero but you can't see that the piston is at the top which it was confirmed with a camera and a small piece of wire feeling around in the hole.

As you can also see, the rotor is pointing to #6 vs #1 on the rotor.  This is how the engine has been running for 3 years now, but I don't see how this is possible when everything I read says that the rotor should be pointing to number 1 on the rotor when at TDC.

I'm at a loss here, the firing order/plug wire placement looks correct per what I have now vs. shop manuals I have.  I don't have the rockers installed or cam currently so I can't confirm if it is at the compression stroke.

Gold Rush

I don't know if it is different manufactures making 180 out of if all do but my '74 400 is exactly the same.  Really messed with my poor old brain during assembly but I carefully rolled the engine over manually checking things as I went.  Compression in cylinders followed firing order so I put the sucker together!   :yesnod:  :yesnod:  Runs as advertised.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Nacho-RT74

All Are the same, even SBs. Now WHY? Something I have never understood!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

cdr

as said they are that way, it's not on the power stroke with the dots lined up.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

PRH

Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

timmycharger

Ok thank you guys. I was going out of my mind with it.

Kern Dog

Now you have me curious about this...I have used Edelbrock and Cloyes timing sets. Are all the timing sets for our engines made so that "dot to dot" are for the #6 firing position?
If so, I wonder why?

BLK 68 R/T

I remember installing mine dot to dot. Then rotating the crank one revolution so both dots were at 12 o'clock. Then motor is on the TDC of the compression stroke. #1 ends up being pointed at the alternator. That's the way I remember doing it.

Back N Black

Its at TDC but not on #1 compression stroke, it on the exhaust stroke (pointing at #6). Another rotation the dots should line up and pointing at #1 on compression stroke. Crank rotation to cam is 2 to 1. :Twocents: