News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil capacity

Started by BLK 68 R/T, July 11, 2018, 04:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLK 68 R/T

Why did muscle car engines come from the factory with such small oil capacities compared to today's engines?
For example the average 440 had 4 quarts + 1 with filter but my wife's 4 cylinder Camry takes the same amount basically.

68CoronetRT

I think alot of the oil capacity thing(and many other examples) came from the interwebz and everyone being an expert. 5 qrts is still a lot of oil for an engine.

c00nhunterjoe

Modern engine capacities vary based on style of engine, how much oil controlled actuators are in it, oil change intervals, and what the manufactures determine is needed to keep clean the oil at a certain temperature and not break down before the intervals.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on July 11, 2018, 04:44:48 PM
Why did muscle car engines come from the factory with such small oil capacities compared to today's engines?

I've often wondered that myself but you can't really compare new to old. New motors run a lot hotter than old and therefore need more oil capacity to aid cooling.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 11, 2018, 09:15:47 PM
Modern engine capacities vary based on style of engine, how much oil controlled actuators are in it, oil change intervals, and what the manufactures determine is needed to keep clean the oil at a certain temperature and not break down before the intervals.
Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 12, 2018, 12:21:23 PM
Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on July 11, 2018, 04:44:48 PM

I've often wondered that myself but you can't really compare new to old. New motors run a lot hotter than old and therefore need more oil capacity to aid cooling.

I kinda figured it had to do with additional cooling that the additional oil would provide. That's the reason why some newer vehicles have cast pans with cooling fins in them.

c00nhunterjoe

Cool is a relative term in this case. Manufactures want the oil hot. The oil temp required to achieve the advertised at temp viscosity is actually is 212 degrees, another reason for modern cars to have 205 and 210 degree thermostats in them. At hugher temps, the oil will break down quicker, thus why most now run more oil and require synthetics to achieve the longer oil change intervals.  Back in the 60s, is was alot sooner intervals and lower oil temps so it didnt matter.