News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does a non a/c factory car hurt its resale value?

Started by Sean, July 11, 2018, 01:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Looking at a charger, I really like it, but it's a non-ac factory car. Does that hurt resale in your opinion or not?

gtx6970

Depends A LOT on who you ask.

To me it hurts it. I want an air car

Sean

Do you look down on car's without factory air but have aftermarket air added?

gtx6970

No, I just add value ( to me if it has air )
aftermkt air is nice to. it just doesnt add value to the overall picture  ( TO ME ) But it adds desirability

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Sean on July 11, 2018, 01:40:14 PM
Looking at a charger, I really like it, but it's a non-ac factory car. Does that hurt resale in your opinion or not?

I prefer no AC, factory or aftermarket on a "musclecar", my 70 Charger had factory air, that disappeared along with the dash and firewall....  I actually devalue in a purchase a vehicle with AC, because of the added expense in ridding the vehicle of the firewall, dash, and other AC only alterations that need to be removed/replace/converted/etc

Homerr

I would prefer a factory AC car except R/T's with 4-speed were not available with it.  I think a nicely done aftermarket setup is fine.

For all non-Hemi autos and non-R/T 4 speed cars I'd still prefer the factory AC setup, but probably 95% of the cars have parts missing or the system hasn't been charged in ages so it's probably not cheap to get a factory setup running either.  Factory AC with aftermarket compressor would be great.

Mike DC

Toss up.  AC is a common addition and a common subtraction on project cars. 

It would probably help the value of a car with heavy factory options.  An RT/SE automatic?  Yeah, AC would help.  But a 440/4spd street fighter?  No, it wasn't even available with AC.

Birdflu

I would think depending what part of the country a person lives in would have a bearing on the importance of A/C. Personally, living in Minnesota, I also would rather NOT have an A/C car if I had a choice. Though I will say, if it's 90 or hotter, I'm not driving around in one of my old cars anyway. Bet if I lived in the Southern part of the country  :flame: I'd feel differently... :yesnod:

70 sublime

I would not pay more for a factory A/C car than I would pay for the same factory car without A/C

If you find an old car with a factory set up that is working then great
How long will those old parts keep working ??
A factory A/C car usually has bits missing from the system then try to find the right parts

Think I would rather add an after market set up that was all new parts then try to get an old one working if parts are missing
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Aero426

If it's been added to a car I wanted to drive, and it is working, I would not subtract for it.    

G-man

Far as I have seen and experienced... a car with Air Con or without Air Con will cost the same amount. Nobody in general that is serious about selling their charger is going to chrge you more or try to sell it for more based on the idea that it has air con.

Body condition, mechanical reliability, interior condition, size of engine,  R/T or not R/T is going to determine the price not Air Con. What air con might do is make it more desirable to be bought (easier to sell) than one without.

Having said that, there are too many variables in what determines price because you can get smaller engine same price as one with bigger you can get R/Ts for the cost of Non R/Ts depending what has been done etc...

Alaskan_TA

I prefer cars without AC, easier to get to everything on the engine.

Yet, I have 3 with AC & none of them work.

Not yet anyway, I do just fine with open vents & vent wing windows so no rush.

Mytur Binsdirti

I looked long and hard for a factory a/c 68 R/T & after finding a couple missing pieces, I got it going & charged it with R12. Man, does that thing blows ice cubes!

Dino

Converted mine to R134a and it was like a freezer in there. Good thing I had an adjustable thermostatic switch. I'd never want a car without a/c but in this case I don't think it'll matter much.

If you're just buying a car for resale value then you may want to look at other makes though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bronzedodge

IF you read the factory service manual, and have a novice or professional understanding of how advanced for it's time our factory AC system are, you'll appreciate the engineering in them.

Factory AC is better than aftermarket.  I'm happy w my AC car.  If I was shopping for a 4 speed R/T, I'd be happy with the way it is.   ;D
Mopar forever!

BrianShaughnessy

Too many variables to worry about resale value whether it's got AC or not.   Matching #'s and all that matter more to me and frankly the big one is it a real RT or a clone?   I do think if there's an AC dash and no parts under the hood I think that's a downgrade.

When I got Betty,  my search was for a non #s matching Non AC RT.     I didn't want to mess with a Briggs & Stratton under the hood.  I wanted a 4 speed
fun car...   I ended up with a black 5 speed car that's fun but hot as hell in July   :coolgleamA:

Sinnamon was originally an AC car but the underhood parts were ripped out to make a racecar over 40 years ago.   Now I've started to fix that with the
Classic air kit...  with Sanden, not B&S.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

EccentricMagpies

Personally, i'd pay more for a 4 speed car than a car with AC. 

If AC was there, i'd probably use it.  If it wasn't I wouldn't add it.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

375instroke

Many rip it out, and others add it, so I'd call it a wash as far as value goes.  If it originally had A/C, it was removed and thrown away, and you want to put it back to an original system, then I'd try to factor in the time and expense of hunting all that stuff down compared to finding another decent Charger with a working system.  Either choice will be an ordeal.  I picked up a decent '69 with removed A/C.  Pump and lines gone.  The rest of the car was in great condition, A/C or not wasn't a factor.

RallyeMike

The condition, history, and aggregate of features far outweight the single factor of weather it has AC or not. I think there are enough buyers out there that it does not matter. Some want it and some don't.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Wasco

Thread hijack unintended, but there any threads or anyone with information on using an aftermarket pump on a factory A/C system?  Which one to buy and do you use factory brackets, aftermarket or make your own? The system on my car appears to be complete except the pump.  Thanks

marshallfry01

I live in SW Arkansas. I want air conditioning.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

maxwellwedge

I have never equated A/C and Musclecar. The street racers of the day wanted minimal options...less weight, less clutter and more engine compartment room to work on their cars. If I want HP and A/C....I'll jump into a Hellkitty or new Demon. I have actually passed on nice cars with A/C. But, to each their own. Having said that, I have a 70 Challenger convert with factory air - Lol. And then again....I live in Toronto, not AZ :)
So I do agree that people in warmer areas may desire A/C. 

ACUDANUT

I never had any luck with a 50 y/0 a/c system working. I have spent 1500 at a car shop once trying to make it work. PITA

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 13, 2018, 02:04:13 PM
I never had any luck with a 50 y/0 a/c system working. I have spent 1500 at a car shop once trying to make it work. PITA

I've bought many old cars over the years that just needed a can of freon added and the system worked fine.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on July 13, 2018, 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 13, 2018, 02:04:13 PM

I've bought many old cars over the years that just needed a can of freon added and the system worked fine.

Freon ? That is just a name brand.  R-12 is what it took at the time.

Ghoste

If you are buying it for resale value then sure lots of options can raise the value.  If you are buying it to enjoy then the only one who matters is you.  If the car is good it isnt going to lose by not having ac and you still wont have any problem finding a buyer for it with or without ac.