News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd generation charger or new version challenger?

Started by h76, May 30, 2018, 07:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

On the way into the store yesterday, a young man half my age said, "That's a very nice car you have there, Sir."    Me: "Thanks a lot, beautiful night for a drive."

I can't get enough of this old thing.  I can't keep my eyes off of it when we're in the same vicinity.   I'm more passionate about it than almost anything else in the world.  If I'm ever in a serious accident (in it), the meager personal protection will probably fail to do it's job, and I'll likely be killed or maimed.

Smart move to own it?  Not really.   But I can't think of any physical possession that means more to me.    

comet_666

Last week I was at the gas station and there was a new Camaro Z whatever there getting gas too. An older guy that was also there yells.."hey that's a awesome car man!" and proceeds to walk over. The driver of the Camaro says, "Oh Thanks! fastest car on the street!"
The older guy says, "I wasn't talking about your car, I was talking about this beautiful mopar here"

It was kind of funny.
I have a '17 Challenger as my daily driver but there is no replacement for getting behind the wheel of the 69.

Kern Dog

That is GREAT!
It reminds me of how much attention I used to get in my '70 before I "restored" it. The old, worn out look seemed to resonate with people more than the fresh paint and shiny rims.

Polygon

The 2013 gets over 30 on the highway. V6. Nothing fancy, but suits me.

The 1970 I drove daily for about 6 months, and as another said, it's just plain fun. Puts a smile on my face. Now, just once in a while.

www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: HeavyFuel on June 01, 2018, 03:27:36 PM
On the way into the store yesterday, a young man half my age said, "That's a very nice car you have there, Sir."    Me: "Thanks a lot, beautiful night for a drive."

I can't get enough of this old thing.  I can't keep my eyes off of it when we're in the same vicinity.   I'm more passionate about it than almost anything else in the world.   I refuse to carry my concealed when driving it, because I'm afraid for the person that crashes into me because of distracted driving, etc.   If I'm ever in a serious accident (in it), the meager personal protection will probably fail to do it's job, and I'll likely be killed or maimed.

Smart move to own it?  Not really.   But I can't think of any physical possession that means more to me.    

Pretty car.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: h76 on May 30, 2018, 07:27:07 PM
Just wondering what's the thoughts out there on people paying big money for these 2nd gen chargers versus buying a new gen challenger for the same or even less $? I can see reasons for both. Just curious how people see what's a smarter buy?

If we were concerned with a "smarter buy" we'd be driving the latest fuel efficient import  :icon_smile_big:... all this talk of a vehicle having a "soul" is kinda BS for me, I look at a vehicle, we're talking "toys" here, as art on wheels, if it appeals to my liking, it can be new or old,... HP/suspension/ride quality/amenities/so-called reliability/etc can always be added or improved in any vehicle... granted stock to stock comparison a new Chubbenger or 4dr Charger SHOULD out perform old iron in all aspects, they've had 50 years to develop the improvements, the only thing lacking in "new" cars, IMHO is the styling, it's just a compromise on behalf of the styling teams, I'm not saying they have to emulate the original cars, but they should be appealing to the human eye, they're disproportion in their own styling leaves them ungainly IMHO, I can't even stomach the 4dr Charger, even if it was named something else, it's just an unattractive vehicle, I've yet to see ONE even heavily modified that is ascetically pleasant on the eyes, the Challenger is a great looking car, as long as your viewing it from the belt line up, below the belt line it's like looking at a 200 lb broad in yoga pants ....

You talk about the "big money" for 2nd gen Chargers, anything is big money today, new or old, sure a lot of hype runs down hill where some wanker thinks his rotted out shitbox of a Charger (any old car for that matter) is worth 5 fiqures...I have no issues with a 2nd gen asking for huge coin, as long as it has that amount of money invested in it at every facet of it's refurbishment, I do however have a total disdain for these high priced "garage/barn finds" that are basically rolling junk, I can appreciate a true survivor that has weathered time and is in exemplary condition, but it too is in elderly condition mechanically....    originality/numbers have no place among my desires in a vehicle, reliability and aesthetics are my prime importance, and that can be had in new or old, but not at the factory level... you won't see me wasting my money on any of the current factory offerings, except for a cheap/disposable daily driver

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 30, 2018, 07:34:20 PM
The new Challenger will protect you better in an accident and probably be more reliable

I don't know about that?....I wonder which one was driven home after this wreck?... when "new" meets "old" the hard way

Kern Dog

The sheet metal in late model cars is pretty thin. The fenders in LC Challengers are just a shell and they bend easily. When ours was just 3 months old, a lady crossed into my lane and hit the RF corner. The contact was barely felt but it bent the fender enough to make replacement a more cost effective deal.
Late models are designed to sacrifice the car to protect the driver.

Lennard

In new cars, the strength isn't in the sheet metal. The frames and "cages" are is stronger.

Dino

Crumple zones baby! I would not want to be in a high speed wreck in the Charger. That's gonna leave a mark. I feel better with collapsing frame rails and a gazillion air bags in the Audi!

So what's the question? Old Charger or new Challenger? I only have a Charger because the way it looks so easy for me. I'm not interested in the Challenger at all. Doesn't make me tick but that's all subjective.
Depends what you're after. I totally love driving my newly acquired Audi but there's nothing to compare next to the Charger. Two totally different animals. Kinda nice that my daily as well as my toy car have V8s though.   :coolgleamA:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

Probably listed on ebay soon with a $12,000 reserve.

morepower

I have a 2010 dodge challenger srt and I love the way it rides, handles, accelerates has all the comforts....but it doesn't compare to the thrill of driving my manual steering, manual brakes 68 500 ci stroker with 3.91 gears without a/c and all...
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Ghoste

I have loved the 2nd gen Chargers for too long to start cheating now.  I'll keep my 69.

Birdflu

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 01, 2018, 10:12:38 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on May 30, 2018, 07:34:20 PM
The new Challenger will protect you better in an accident and probably be more reliable

I don't know about that?....I wonder which one was driven home after this wreck?... when "new" meets "old" the hard way

Looks like the guys wife is still sitting in the front seat like nothing even happened!  ::)