News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Everybody thinks they are Danny from Counting Cars

Started by triple_green, May 19, 2018, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

As you guys know having a charger gets you lots and inquiries some welcome and some not.

I really like all the people who come up and ask me about the car and tell me stories when "so and so" they knew, had one just like.

I am growing weary of all the bozos who accost you out of no where and want to buy the car....it happens almost weekly.

So todays story. I have just been to Costco for gas. I am waiting at a large intersection two turn lanes and one straight. Cars are lined up both in front and back of me. I notice a shadow coming up on me. Some guy has gotten out of his truck while we are stopped at the light and comes up to my window.

Him: hey nice Charger, I want to buy it.

Me: Thanks, but it's not for sale.

Him: oh, come on there must be a price.

Me: I say $10,000 more than I really think it's worth

Him: I can give you good money for it but the paint/body isnt perfectly straight on the drivers side.

Me: I know and I said I didnt really want to sell.

Him: come on I'll give you a fair price..

Light changes and he's left running back to his truck.

I guess I look like a Hillbilly. But I ain't giving my Charger away :)
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

J-440

Had a dude that wanted to straight up trade me for his 2015 Charger R/T 392 Hemi.  It shocked me at first and then when I said there's no amount he added 10k to the price.  Some people just don't understand.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

BrianShaughnessy

A few years back at the local pizza cruise in...  some chevy yutz was being loud and made it known that he'd pay me $10K for Black Betty cash right then and there...   I laughed in his face.    Never saw him again.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

myk

Sometimes I think it'd be worth buying a boring car like a 60's Mustang or a Camaro or something ordinary, just so people would leave me alone to drive in peace...

JR

The Richard Rawlings wannabes are the worst!

In my case, I've noticed something  peculiar. I've repainted my car twice over 18 years, and I've noticed each time that I have way more offers to buy it when the paint was 10 years old and starting to look rough around the edges. Each time I repainted it, the offers to buy it completely stopped. I guessed they figure it'd be too expensive or something, with shiny paint.

It's really the only thing that motivates me to wash it twice a month. So long as it's clean and shiny, no one makes me any stupid low-ball offers. I hate washing cars with a passion, but it's better than listening to Barret Jackson wannabes.

I don't know if it's a southeast thing, but I've definitely noticed it.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

chargervert

Just tell the wannabees,that there are 50 of them on E bay at any given time,go look there!

Mopar Nut

I tell them that Barrett Jackson has one for sale right now, that shuts them up.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mike DC

Yeah, tell them "There's a couple on Ebay/Craig.  A '68 just went up this morning for $45,000.  The paint & body looked good . . ."  That helps to shut people up because it means you know exactly what your car is worth these days. 

chargervert

Just show then the 68 Charger R/T 440 automatic car that just sold on Mecum for $121,000,and they will quietly move on!

DixieRestoParts

LOL, just had this happen to me yesterday. I was interrupted in a conversation I was having at a cruise-in by a guy asking me if I wanted to sell my Charger. I told him he didn't have enough money. He said he did. To which I responded, I've had it since 1982, I don't think you do. He said he had 4 Chargers at one time, had sold them all, and was down to none, but he wouldn't want to pay what I probably wanted for it and left. I just shook my head and went back to my conversation.

I like the responses above, I need to remember to refer them to ebay next time.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

elks

myk

No hablo ingles.

Having brown skin does have the occasional advantages...

Kern Dog

Old Moparz

Over the years I've had a few people ask about my primered ragtop & if I wanted to sell it. Of course the answer is no, but I've never had anyone become rude or obnoxious. It hasn't been out much in the last several years but with all these goofy reality car buying & flipping shows on TV I am sure I'd get a bigger number of bozos asking.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

metallicareload99

Quote from: myk on May 20, 2018, 05:15:37 PM
No hablo ingles.

Having brown skin does have the occasional advantages...

:2thumbs:  :cheers:

я не говорю по-английски.

For if you have light skin

Otherwise this seems very effective when people demand how much; I've been saying "more than what it's worth."
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

comet_666

The year before last I pulled in my driveway and someone pulled in right behind me (this has happened more than once)..I was like wtf is this. So he gets out and says something like hey man..i'm not a weirdo or anything but I wanna buy your car. I was nice and he looked it over, pointed out a few things and then asked again, I said it is not for sale, he says, give me the not for sale price...I say $80000 lol.
He goes, your not far off...I can sell one of my houses by the end of the week. I was like...oh boy..then I reiterated it's not really for sale and that I would be buried in it someday lol.
Gave me his card in case I changed my mind.

72Charger72

Before I started my restore I had a kid who came by my house leaving notes to call.... his boss was interested in buying.
I always threw them away.
He catches me at home one night and knocks on my door. He says HEY I have left you notes about buying your car.
I say YEAH  saw them.... its not for sale.
He says his boss is really interested and has deep pockets. I say ok 30,000 as it sits....He says your Crazy! and I say Told you not for sale? Duh?
Never comes back again...Just drop the crazy price right away and they will leave you be...Or you get one hell of a deal!

68CoronetRT

Problem is if someone wants it that bad they will pay the crazy price, so be careful what you ask!

I had a middle eastern kid approach me at a gas station and had to have my car. I told him its not for sale and of course he asked if I was to sell it what would I ask, again I told him its not for sale. So then he says "I have a 68 Mustang fastback roller I'd trade you plus 15k cash to get the project started". Although tempting I dont have the time or energy to start another car project right now, so I respectfully declined.

I had another guy tell me that his wife made him give up his 69 Road Runner a long time ago, then went on to tell me they divorced some years later and he kicks himself for ever getting rid of the car.

It's kinda fun, the people you run into.

alfaitalia

Brits are rather more reserved than you guys....I cant imagine someone just walking up to a classic car owner and asking to buy it. Not seen it happen here even at local shows. If someone wants to sell their car at a show (or anywhere else) they will put a for sale sign in it!! No sign and you will be probably never be asking if you are selling it........a million other silly questions of course.....but not that!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

No offense but being AMERICAN often means that we are born with the "can do" spirit....WE have balls and guts. We push the limits, we test the boundries. We play our music too loud, fart in church, eat red meat and drive big inefficient cars that get 4 miles to the gallon but are fun as hell.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Lennard

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 22, 2018, 02:54:26 PM
No offense but being AMERICAN often means that we are born with the "can do" spirit....WE have balls and guts. We push the limits, we test the boundries. We play our music too loud, fart in church, eat red meat and drive big inefficient cars that get 4 miles to the gallon but are fun as hell.
Now that's funny :2thumbs:

RECHRGD

It's been my experience that most of the people that approach me about buying the car are rather pushy and not the type that I would want to sell it to.  Unfortunately, the ones that seem to really want/love the car don't have any money.
13.53 @ 105.32

The guy I bought my car from said he used to get pulled over by the cops occasionally just to get pictures.

F8-4life

Danny 101, push to the owner to sell, then offer 1/2 of what its worth.
After awhile, it gets old.
Either everybody that owns an old car is hard up or doesn't now the value..
or he thinks he just is pretty enough to win a cheap sale?
I get the whole "never know untill you ask" logic..but sometime you do know.