News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Oil for tranny?

Started by rollo1504, April 28, 2018, 01:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Hey Guys!

A friend of mine gave me 2 bottles of oil with the words "thats all you need... for the motor, tranny and diff"

So unfortunately he is not reachable at the moment to ask him again so can maybe you guys help me out?

Please have a look at the picture...

Is the left one for the tranny AND the diff? The right one for the motor? -> what means ATF?

Thanks

A383Wing

ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid......I would be concerned as to what type is in the jug, wrong ATF will cause issues

The one on the left is gear oil for the rear differential......

If both the rear end and trans are empty, you are gonna need more than what you have there

rollo1504

Thanks!

I do not worry about having the wrong ATF as my friend is a great mechanic on american cars... He has a sort of american old beauties....

So this is something I am not concerned about...

Ok so I assume the small jug is ONLY for rear diff and ATF for tranny and motor....

A383Wing

ATF is only for the automatic transmission......NOT for the motor

I would still be concerned about what is in that large jug

rollo1504

OK. As I only need to put some oil into the tranny and oil level in motor is fine at the moment I will wait until my buddy comes back from his business trip and will ask him then about the oil he uses in his mopar's motors.

Thank you

c00nhunterjoe

I have never used that brand. Cant find any info on them yet via google. Im assuming you are not in the u.s? There are so many types of "atf". I wouldnt add anything u til you know what it is.

rollo1504

No I am not in the U.S.

I am from central Europe....

Regards

John_Kunkel

Some confusion comes about from the use of the word "oil" in regard to automatic transmissions. "Fluid" is the preferred word in automatic transmissions.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68CoronetRT

Oh boy!

Oil is used in the engine, period. It should be like a 10w30 or 20w50 etc... Gear oil(80-90, 75-90 etc) is used in the rear end, or a standard(manual) transmission. ATF is ONLY for an automatic transmissions.

There are some applications where ATF can be used in a standard transmission but that is for colder climate weather and in the winter time.

Troy

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on May 04, 2018, 08:36:09 PM
Oh boy!

Oil is used in the engine, period. It should be like a 10w30 or 20w50 etc... Gear oil(80-90, 75-90 etc) is used in the rear end, or a standard(manual) transmission. ATF is ONLY for an automatic transmissions.

There are some applications where ATF can be used in a standard transmission but that is for colder climate weather and in the winter time.
Heh, in a Mopar world. :P With all my "other" cars it seems this stuff is very poorly named!

A 4-speed manual transmission would take a completely different oil but don't worry about that if you have an automatic. The stuff in the big container should be bright red and reasonably thin. The stuff in the small container should be brown/tan, rather thick, and very smelly. As stated, neither goes in the engine!

That big one is possibly (you'll need about 8.5 liter if completely empty):
https://www.eurolub.com/en/transmission-oils#eurolub-transmission-oil-gear-fluide-atf-a_ext

Here's the cross reference for the gear oil (I picked Castrol - you'll need maybe 2.5 liter if completely empty):
https://www.eurolub.com/en/crossreferencelist/castrol_getriebeoel

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rollo1504

You are right Troy!

The big one is thin red and the small one is brown and rather thick....

For the engine I will continue asking the experts nearby!

Thanks for the litres information as well!

Great episode guys!

Thanks

Regards

Roland