News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rev kit for a 440?

Started by metallicareload99, May 09, 2018, 11:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

I get the impression that revkits are a thing of the past, and that they were never really common in MoPars?  Most of the info I came across suggests they are no longer needed/"today's valve train parts make them unnecessary." Would it be worthwhile to install one in a street 440 with a solid roller?

http://iskycams.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=1798&zenid=h7mch01cnfb82u58q09q8l0pj3

:shruggy:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

BSB67

What a good question.  I suspect that the reason is simply the cost-benefit, and more stuff to go wrong.   Interested in what others will come back with.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

I ran one of those years ago, it requires the specific Isky 1612 roller lifter mentioned and I doubt if you'll find any. Back in the late seventies when I ran them, Isky couldn't even supply the lifter roller kits. Ran them in a 6-71 blown 426 Wedge, it would spin 7500+.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

metallicareload99

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 10, 2018, 02:03:59 PM
I ran one of those years ago, it requires the specific Isky 1612 roller lifter mentioned and I doubt if you'll find any. Back in the late seventies when I ran them, Isky couldn't even supply the lifter roller kits. Ran them in a 6-71 blown 426 Wedge, it would spin 7500+.

Ah, I overlooked that they may require specific lifters. Interesting that the 1612 lifters use needle bearings, but the Isky Red-Zone lifters are a bushed roller and also appear incompatible with the rev kit.

A 6-71 on wedge seems like a very unique combo, turning to 7500 isn't easy to do even today NA? I like the photo!

BSB67

I guess for me the question is more fundamental.  Why is this concept not widely and regularly used for all roller cam applications?  I would think that shifting some of the spring load off the valve, retainer,keeper, rocker arm and pushrod and onto the lifter directly would have some wear/longevity benefit.  Maybe you give it all up in lifter/roller wear.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

metallicareload99

Quote from: BSB67 on May 11, 2018, 05:50:43 AM
I guess for me the question is more fundamental.  Why is this concept not widely and regularly used for all roller cam applications?  I would think that shifting some of the spring load off the valve, retainer,keeper, rocker arm and pushrod and onto the lifter directly would have some wear/longevity benefit.  Maybe you give it all up in lifter/roller wear.

I'm with you 100%, as lifters that are compatible with a rev kit seem hard to get I'm disappointed