News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HD Shocks 69 R/T

Started by James K, June 16, 2013, 08:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James K

Looks like my shocks are giving out and I need to get replacements on all four wheels. If I don't replace them soon, I m going to have to rename the car Ilene. This is a frequent driver and anytime I want to go to a show it usually entails freeway driving (I live just North of Houston, Tx.), so stock shocks are out. What do y'all recommend?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 727 Auto, 8-Track, Factory A/C, Console, Double Black, Period Correct 440-4BBL, Matching Numbers Tranny and Diff.
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner, 727 Auto, Air Grabber, Black Bench Seat, Black Vinyl Top, K3 Burnt Orange, Period Correct 440-4BBL, Matching numbers Tranny and Diff.

resq302

I got the Monroe-matic through RockAuto.com and the look (aside from color) pretty stock and seem to be well made.  I know a bunch of other people have used them and liked the results too.  I had KYB's on all 4 corners of my car and did not like how stiff they made the car's suspension.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Silver R/T

If you want top of the line shocks go with Bilsteins
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twodko

Quote from: resq302 on June 16, 2013, 11:45:15 AM
I got the Monroe-matic through RockAuto.com and the look (aside from color) pretty stock and seem to be well made.  I know a bunch of other people have used them and liked the results too.  I had KYB's on all 4 corners of my car and did not like how stiff they made the car's suspension.

Same same
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Silver R/T on June 16, 2013, 11:55:00 AM

what about hotchkis shocks the 1.5 model?  Expensive like 150 bucks a piece, but say they are the best?

HPP

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 17, 2013, 11:49:12 PM

what about hotchkis shocks the 1.5 model?  Expensive like 150 bucks a piece, but say they are the best?

The basic Hotchkis shock is a rebadged Bilstein. Firm Feel also sells these. I believe it is Autodynamics that perfoms the valving changes to them to work with our mopars. However, Hotchkis is now selling a higher end unit that is manufactured by Fox. This is getting to be the top end of bolt in mopar shocks.

Other possible sources for bolt in performance shocks, Ridetech, Varishock, QA1. Shocks are like cams, they are part of a system. Unless you have an all stock suspension, you probably don't want to go with an all stock shock, and even then, the tech that has evolved with modern shocks means a very good shock can even make a stock set up feel better. If you have stepp up t-bars or leaf springs, then you definetly want to look at a better shock.

Just 6T9 CHGR

X2...

Ive had KYB....didnt like their harshness on NYC streets.

Swapped them for the Monroe Classsics....not as harsh but made the car feel more "wallowy" in the corners & over bumps than the KYB's did...

Swapped them for the RCD Bilsteins last season...VAST improvement over both shocks.  Has a great ride PLUS more control in the corners...the best of both worlds IMHO  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68CoronetRT

I've got the KYB's on my car right now and it's stiff. Probably go with the Monroes/Bilsteins when it's on the road again.

Oh and 150$ a pair is CHEAP!! lol :o just to compare, in the world of off road racing 1(one) shock cost 750$. And there's 3 per corner(12 total). :smilielol: :brickwall:

Arnt hobby's fun!? lol  :eyes: