News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Auto Air anyone???

Started by Mopar2Ya, May 02, 2006, 05:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar2Ya

I'm installing a CAA system in my '70. The problem is my car is orig an air car. The CAA sys are designed for non-air cars. There seems to be more tweeking than I had anticipated. It requires self tapping screws put into the cowl. Has anyone put in one of these CAA systems? Anyone put one in an air equipped car? Thanks.  :ahum:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

bksfld68

I have put mine in about 90% of the way, just have to hook up some more hoses and charge and pray it works.  I don't remember having to put in any self tapping screws. 

Ryan

Mopar2Ya

The self tapping screws hold the freshair cover(blocks off the fresh air intake from the factory). I could be wrong I haven't actually started installing yet. I have to do more tweeking than a non-air car. My firewall is different, I have to make a block off plate for my orig blower motor, heater valve, & water hose. Then the blockoff plate I make will be drilled for the new hoses, it's a very tight fit. The mounting of the new CAA will not line up w/my orig holes.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

bksfld68

I did not have any of these roadblocks, my AC setup was in a 68, I think out heater boxes are different. 

Ryan

Mopar2Ya

Ryan, did your car originally have air conditioning?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

c5_nc

Are you all using the "Perfect Fit" or "Daily Driver" series?

defiance

Actually, they also make a 'sanden conversion kit' and 'condenser kit' for original a/c equipped cars; 500 for the conversion kit and 250 for the condenser.  I think they have a stock replacement heater core too, but I didn't mess with that.  The hoses and all provided replace everything firewall forward.  I'm in the middle of installing condenser now (which comes with most of the hoses), and I think it's pretty nice... I'm a bit of a fish out of water when it comes to a/c, though, and it'll be a couple weeks before I can actually order the sanden kit and finish the whole thing up.  Plus, somebody put an... 'alternative' a/c system in this car at one point in its life.  It came stock with A/C, but the a/c that was in it when I got it was NOT stock (for one of the compresser -> condenser hoses, someone had cut an 'x' in the frame behind the headlight, FOLDED the metal back to make a hole, and stuck the hose through there!).  I'm having to dig through pics on the internet to figure out how stock was supposed to be in order to figure out how my 'stock replacement' kit should be set up! :P  So far that's been the only 'difficult' part, figuring out where hard lines route and such....  which would have been SOOOO much easier had the stock stuff been there, I think :)

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: c5_nc on May 03, 2006, 07:53:52 AM
Are you all using the "Perfect Fit" or "Daily Driver" series?
It's the "perfect fit" which is designed for cars w/o air. I chose to replace my entire system because the old one has vacuum operated controls & the new system is more modern & smaller.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

bksfld68

Mine was originally an air car.  I got the sanden kit and the condenser kit and used all the original under dash parts.  Had to get a new heater core. 

Ryan

Mopar2Ya

Anyone w/air replaced it w/the CAA perfect fit system? ???

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Mopar2Ya

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on May 04, 2006, 07:51:59 PM
Anyone w/air replaced it w/the CAA perfect fit system? ???

I kind of am.  My engine was from a a/c car and i am having to find different pulleys for it.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

defiance

Incidentally, I've now got my system nearly all in place... Turns out the only part I didn't replace (evaporator) has a leak.  Go figure.  :P

Other than that, the ONLY complaint I have is that the hose fitting on my firewall (evap output) is a #12, but they sent me #10 fittings.  Eh well.  Local A/C shop cut & recrimped my hose with a #12, cost me $15 and 15 minutes, so no big complaints there :)

Not the perfect fit system, though...

Might've been better off, though, now that I see my a/c - heater box.  This this is THRASHED...  I've got some MAJOR fiberglass work ahead of me :(

*sigh*...

Can SOMETHING not be broken on my car?  Please?? :P

Mike DC

QuoteCan SOMETHING not be broken on my car?  Please??

Sorry, but no.  Congress just passed the bill in their session last week so it's official. 

And the ruling is retroactive, so anything that was fixed on the car after 1978 is re-broken now too.

Mopar2Ya

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Smoke20

Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

74ChargerRallye

I have a 74 Charger Rallye small block that I am interested in replacing my original 30lb compressor with a new sanden conversion kit.  Where do I get one (web site), and what is a good price?  I am also assuming that I will need a new drier???

Thanks

defiance

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 15, 2006, 06:32:40 PM

QuoteCan SOMETHING not be broken on my car?  Please??

Sorry, but no.  Congress just passed the bill in their session last week so it's official. 

And the ruling is retroactive, so anything that was fixed on the car after 1978 is re-broken now too.

I *KNEW* those guys were evil! ;)

As for the website, the part you're interested in is:

http://www.classicautoair.com/compressors.asp

The price is around $500.  Comes with brackets, compressor, pulley, hoses, drier, ex-valve, and pressure switch. 
If you're wanting to go with R-134a, you might also consider this:

http://www.classicautoair.com/condensers.asp

The price is less than a factory replacement, it looks great, and it's parallel flow so it'll cool with R-134a as well as a new car.  Only downside is they don't have a *direct* replacement for the 71-74 chargers - but the 70-74 Cuda/Challenger one fits perfect, you just have to route the hard lines a little different than stock.  Not for the 'factory original' purists, but it worked great for me :P

Wakko

This is the company I was thinking of using, so I'm glad to see the feedback here.  CAn't wait to know how it works in the end. 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

THE CHARGER PUNK

do any companys make aftermarket a/c systems that use the original a/c vents on an a/c car?, as i do not like the looks of the under dash a/c-MATT