News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1967 charger question

Started by taxspeaker, March 21, 2018, 07:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

On 67 Hemi chargers did they all come stock with hood scoop, power steering/brakes?
Were the brakes disc?
Was the tach always on the console or were some of them in the dash

Thanks-I know some about Gen 2 but nothing about Gen 1

Bob

Alaskan_TA

Bad B-rad

The 66-67 Charger had the unique dash with the big gauge pods, and all had the tach, no matter what engine.

Alt and fuel shared a pod, then 150MPH one pod, tach the next pod, then oil pressure and temp, shared a pod.

A lot of very unique/first features in that gauge cluster.

http://www.thegaugedoc.com/6667-dodge-charger-info.html

Some Chargers got a clock on the console by the shifter, it is the same shape clock, that some Coronet R/T's used to house a tach.

6bblgt

Quote from: taxspeaker on March 21, 2018, 07:01:30 PM
On 67 Hemi chargers did they all come stock with hood scoop, NONE w/factory hood scoop
power steering/ OPTIONAL
brakes? OPTIONAL
Were the brakes disc? OPTIONAL
Was the tach always on the console or were some of them in the dash STANDARD in DASH

Thanks-I know some about Gen 2 but nothing about Gen 1

Bob

Ghoste

Are you looking at joining the fastback cult Bob?

taxspeaker

Very possible-something about those electro illuminescent gauges and the console fast back has always been cool. Looking at one today

taxspeaker

Excellent links too-thanks guys. Alaska that was some informative reading. I did not know the headlights were concealed, so since th car I am looking at has the headlights out-that isn't working. It does have a hood scoop, so apparently added. It is a numbers matching Hemi car though. Trying to find more details but going to look at lunch today-only 10 miles away.

Thanks again
Bob

Ghoste

Not necessarily, there is an override switch in those cars that allows you to keep the headlight pods turned over to the exposed side.  For winter driving I think was the reason.  That said, it is common for them to have problems in there somewhere, motors, relays, limit switches, wiring.  A complicated setup but nice when they work.

Bad B-rad

Quote from: Ghoste on March 22, 2018, 08:19:52 AM
Not necessarily, there is an override switch in those cars that allows you to keep the headlight pods turned over to the exposed side.  For winter driving I think was the reason.  That said, it is common for them to have problems in there somewhere, motors, relays, limit switches, wiring.  A complicated setup but nice when they work.

Yes all above is true, and they seam to have all those issues at once!!!LOL

The other think I think is funny, is if you ever held the motor and the headlight assymenbly, its like 30 pounds!!!
they look GREAT, but I see why in 68 they went to a plastic door,LOL!!

The hood scoop may be from the 66-67 Coronet R/T, they fit the body lines(same hood) and they are very good looking, I always wanted one on my 66.

Good luck, and can not wait to see photos!!!!
I love 66's!!First year Charger!
First year street Hemi!!

taxspeaker

Thanks

Some comments and a couple of more questions please

Was the 426Hemi emblem mounted on the console in front of the shifter? The owner is deceased so I don't know if he put it in or it was factory. The vacuum gauge-I know it was an option back then, but did Chargers have them on the console? The car is a very, very good shape driver-one very old repaint. It starts and runs but has not been driven in a long time. a lot of work was put in it just to get it safe-tuned, master cylinder, brakes, etc. We are very close on price now-within a couple of thousand.

Thanks

alfaitalia

....they are worth MORE than $2000......?? :icon_smile_big:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

J.Bond

No emblem on console. Vacuum gauge,  never seen one in a first gen.

Bad B-rad

Quote from: taxspeaker on March 22, 2018, 11:41:42 AM
Thanks

Some comments and a couple of more questions please

Was the 426Hemi emblem mounted on the console in front of the shifter? The owner is deceased so I don't know if he put it in or it was factory. The vacuum gauge-I know it was an option back then, but did Chargers have them on the console? The car is a very, very good shape driver-one very old repaint. It starts and runs but has not been driven in a long time. a lot of work was put in it just to get it safe-tuned, master cylinder, brakes, etc. We are very close on price now-within a couple of thousand.

Thanks

I do not think ANY engine/Hemi emblem was ever on the console, he must have put it there.
I have never ever heard of a vacuum gauge on any 66-67 Chargers.
I am not the end-all, be-all, know-it all on them!LOL!!!
I owned a 66, and 67,(The 66 for 12-14 years) And I never owned any 426 Hemi cars.
But I did try to learn as much as I could about the when I owned my 66.

The 66 had the full length console, standard, 67 had the 2 PC console standard.
But I never saw any emblem on the console at all, and I also think the only "extra" gauge you could order was the clock(and that may have been a 66 only,think)

Sounds like a cool car!!!!!
so the #'s match?
Has torque boxes?
And a Dana 60?
I can not wait to see photos!!!!!

Bad B-rad

Only thing I found on vac gauge is you could get them is some 66-70 B-body cars, and it fit in the same housing as the Charger/Coronet clock housing.

moparstuart

Quote from: Bad B-rad on March 22, 2018, 01:37:59 PM
Only thing I found on vac gauge is you could get them is some 66-70 B-body cars, and it fit in the same housing as the Charger/Coronet clock housing.

I have seen several 66-67 chargers with vac gauges also c body's   they look just like the console mounted tach sits on top of the console in front of the shifter
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

A383Wing

Vacuum gauge on the console was an option, although very rare to find a car with one from the factory.

No emblem on console, only 426 emblem was on the side of the front fenders.

Reason for headlights open could be a number of things, hold open switch on, bad motors, bad relays, bad circuit breaker, ......I could go on

Dana rear end was 4spd option

Bryan

moparfan53

Quote from: A383Wing on March 22, 2018, 02:30:53 PM
Vacuum gauge on the console was an option, although very rare to find a car with one from the factory.

No emblem on console, only 426 emblem was on the side of the front fenders.

Reason for headlights open could be a number of things, hold open switch on, bad motors, bad relays, bad circuit breaker, ......I could go on

Dana rear end was 4spd option
Bryan

The vacuum gauge is not listed as an option in the '67 dealer data book, so is doubtful it could be ordered from factory with it. Vacuum gauges were listed in the accessory books, but not for '67. First year in the accessory book was '68.

Just to clarify... the Dana was not an option with 4 spd cars. It was standard equipment with 440 and Hemi 4 speeds. It was not available on 383 4 speed cars.

:cheers:

Images below are from Hamtramck Historical.

moparfan53

Accessory catalog from '68 with the vacuum gauge.

I smile to myself at the description. It is for the "economy minded motorist" and for the "speed enthusiast"   ;D

A383Wing

Vacuum gauge was available on the Charger before 68.....

J.Bond

Still not convinced...

I have a console mounted tach, same housing as my clock. Does that mean, a first gen could of had a console tach, I do not think so.

My guess is , seeing that other lines and models shared the same console, but not the same dash..ie; Coronet, Satellite, etc.

And  that  also would lead us to believe there might be an earlier 66 El model.

Vacuum gauge was used to what, monitor and maybe enhance fuel millage? The Charger is a premium line, if you had that kinda money, I do not think fuel economy was a priority....

Bad B-rad

Quote from: J.Bond on March 23, 2018, 06:30:11 AM
Still not convinced...

I have a console mounted tach, same housing as my clock. Does that mean, a first gen could of had a console tach, I do not think so.

My guess is , seeing that other lines and models shared the same console, but not the same dash..ie; Coronet, Satellite, etc.

And  that  also would lead us to believe there might be an earlier 66 El model.

Vacuum gauge was used to what, monitor and maybe enhance fuel millage? The Charger is a premium line, if you had that kinda money, I do not think fuel economy was a priority....

I agree, I think because the Coronet COULD have had the Vacuum gauge, and that it fits in the clock housing that a Charger COULD have had mounted to the console, that someone just made it happen.
Maybe it had a clock from the factory, and got replace by the vac gauge at one point.

The car is 50+ years old many thing could have been added and taken away, and if it was donw 35 years ago, it would look like it was done at the factory buy now,with the aging of the parts)

I guess maybe only the build sheet could tell us.
Or maybe other factory documented cars.
I tend to think, this was done after it left the plant.

moparfan53

Quote from: A383Wing on March 22, 2018, 09:10:54 PM

Well, since our opinions differ, I will agree to disagree.  ;D

My opinion is based on the following Chrysler supplied information. The dealer data book has no mention of a vacuum gauge being available as an option, as I posted above.  The parts book agrees, it shows no listing for a Charger vacuum gauge. They are shown for Barracuda and C bodies, that is all. No B bodies (see below).

If anyone has information suggesting a vacuum gauge was available as a Charger factory option, I will gladly change my opinion.

I will even go one step further, in my opinion a vacuum gauge was never available as a factory installed option on any year Charger.

I have no interest in being correct, only interest in knowing what is correct.

70 sublime

Quote from: moparfan53 on March 23, 2018, 06:15:10 PM

My opinion is based on the following Chrysler supplied information. The dealer data book has no mention of a vacuum gauge being available as an option, as I posted above.  The parts book agrees, it shows no listing for a Charger vacuum gauge. They are shown for Barracuda and C bodies, that is all. No B bodies (see below).

If anyone has information suggesting a vacuum gauge was available as a Charger factory option, I will gladly change my opinion.

I will even go one step further, in my opinion a vacuum gauge was never available as a factory installed option on any year Charger.

I do not know one way or the other which is right
My very first Charger I had (1968 project in early 1980) came with a vacuum gauge but was not installed

But why do all the Charger console plates have the punch out place for it when you look on the bottom side ahead of the gear shifter ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

moparfan53

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 23, 2018, 06:55:24 PM
Quote from: moparfan53 on March 23, 2018, 06:15:10 PM

I do not know one way or the other which is right
My very first Charger I had (1968 project in early 1980) came with a vacuum gauge but was not installed

But why do all the Charger console plates have the punch out place for it when you look on the bottom side ahead of the gear shifter ?

I am thinking since the B body and C body consoles are basically the same, the plate is cast like that so one part can be used be used on either car. I looked up the plate in the '67 parts catalog and it was the same part# for both B and C body cars. Other years have different part numbers because of the change in the top finish. 

Bad B-rad

Plus they COULD of had the clock, and that is same base as the vac gauge.
The clock would be the reason I would say the plates have the spot to punch the hole.