News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bore scope ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, March 09, 2018, 09:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Can you tell if there is a ridge on a cylinder with a bore scope ? :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

Should be able to. What is the concern?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 09, 2018, 05:18:50 PM

About 4 years ago I bought that less than a hundred mile 12:1 comp 440 and can read the numbers on top of the pistons so I want to see if there is any cylinder damage  that would prevent a set of lower comp pistons  being put in. If there is no damage or ridge this idea would be closer to working.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Challenger340

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 10, 2018, 04:46:11 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 09, 2018, 05:18:50 PM

About 4 years ago I bought that less than a hundred mile 12:1 comp 440 and can read the numbers on top of the pistons so I want to see if there is any cylinder damage  that would prevent a set of lower comp pistons  being put in. If there is no damage or ridge this idea would be closer to working.

Forgive me for asking here, but if you can read the numbers on the top of the Pistons ? What are they ?

Lots of "so-called" 12:1 Pistons, are actually no where even close to 12:1, meaning there may be alot cheaper ways to skin a cat if running pump gas is the problem ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Highbanked Hauler

OK the number I got is 7025 with a P or F or maybe a 1..  By the 0.30 they must be 30 over..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

I believe TRW had a 7025P piston for 440's.
Mopar forever!

c00nhunterjoe

7025s are not 12:1 pistons unless you have a milled set of closed chamber heads on it and .020 gaskets if i recall that number. More like 10.5:1 on a 906 and 041 gaskets. I will have to do some digging to find the compression height of them to be conclusive. Is there an issue with the engine? How big a cam is in it? What heads? Might run fine on 93 depending on what else is in it.

Challenger340

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 11, 2018, 03:33:27 PM
OK the number I got is 7025 with a P or F or maybe a 1..  By the 0.30 they must be 30 over..

That's kinda what I thought ? Probably nowhere even close to 12:1 
The 7025P were identical forging to the current L2295F Pistons, built with a 12 cc Dome, but at a Compression Distance of 2.029" or about .050" down on an unmilled Block.
They were designed to be about .050" "Down" Hole from deck @ TDC and have the Dome compensate for C.R. purposes, so they would "act" like a Flat Top Piston at ZERO Deck ? (But with diddly for quench)
Meaning, (and like Joe already stated)
low 10's:1 using a 906 or any open chamber iron head and Composition style Head Gasket.

Lots of questions:
What Cam ?
What Heads ?

EDDY RPM Heads come in an 88cc Version, depending on Camshaft.... should be fine.

Highbanked Hauler

:o NOT being an engine person I was taking the prior owners word for it but that actually turns out in my favor now as the car will be  :scratchchin: street driven and not raced .  The heads are 906, it has stainless steel valves,mild porting, Crane 1.6 roller rockers. I don't have numbers on the cam but has a little more lope than the stock cam in my 500 if that tells you anything.. I do not know if the block was planed or not.. :shruggy:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

Do a compression test on it and report back the numbers. Will give a better idea. What is the elevation where you live?

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 12, 2018, 03:23:01 PM
Do a compression test on it and report back the numbers. Will give a better idea. What is the elevation where you live?

:2thumbs:

And don't forget when doing the Comp Test:
* All 8 spark Plugs OUT
* Disable the ignition (Crank it off the starter relay)
* Wire the Carb Throttle Plates wide open
then,
* watch the gauge while Cranking, 4 "bumps" only per cylinder on the Compression Tester needle, record the 4th and final reading.

c00nhunterjoe

And note the 1st bump too. 100 psi on the 1st bump is indication of healthy bottom end.

Highbanked Hauler

Houston we have a problem, the engine is sitting on a dolly.. I have a video of it in the car running on  E-85 which it did fine but I can't post on here also the car is on the rotisserie now. My idea was address the compression situation figuring I would have to change pistons before the engine goes in the car but since it seems to be a 10:1 that improves things considerably. :2thumbs:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

Could always pull a head, measure the piston, cc a head, and get the grind number off the cam. That would make it exact.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 13, 2018, 06:13:47 AM
Could always pull a head, measure the piston, cc a head, and get the grind number off the cam. That would make it exact.

When you say measure the piston do you mean the depth in the hole or diameter ? The literature on the cam must be in the front ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

375instroke

Just engine, or is it bolted to a trans?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 375instroke on March 13, 2018, 10:19:23 PM

It has a flywheel,clutch and bell housing on it..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Challenger340

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 13, 2018, 08:11:34 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 13, 2018, 06:13:47 AM

When you say measure the piston do you mean the depth in the hole or diameter ? The literature on the cam must be in the front ?

Pull a head, rotate a Piston to TDC, measure the distance from the Flat portion of the Piston, up to the deck of the Block. The 7025P will be about .050" to .060" down from the Block deck @ TDC.

375instroke

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 14, 2018, 04:04:08 PM
Quote from: 375instroke on March 13, 2018, 10:19:23 PM

It has a flywheel,clutch and bell housing on it..

I would imagine you can put a starter on it, then, and do a compression test.

Highbanked Hauler

Wouldn't you have oil in it and prime it like a fresh start up ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

375instroke

Are you asking for a checklist of how to do a compression test out of the car?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 375instroke on March 17, 2018, 05:35:37 PM
Are you asking for a checklist of how to do a compression test out of the car?

No I just wasn't thinking about priming it.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser