News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Video of my cam break-in

Started by steves66, May 01, 2006, 07:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steves66

Finally found a way to post this video. Hope this works. It is a 493 stroker. I broke her in for about 30 minutes @2300-2500 rpms with about 2800 rpm burst. Check it out Ron!
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/scadkins/?action=view&current=charger002.flv

BrianShaughnessy

Cool!   Good luck with it!!!   Sounds awesome.  :icon_smile_cool:

I only did a lousy pic last night breaking in my cam   :icon_smile_blackeye:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

steves66

Thanks Brian!
That pic don't look lousy to me. Nice looking engine. :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Nice video Steve.....been waiting to hear the sweet stroker music  ;D

She sounds great, nice and clean at 2200 which should make for a nice cruiser with a little extra (actually a lot) cajones under the hood  :devil:

So, how's it run ? You been out with the car yet ? I've been anxious to hear all about it.....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

steves66

All the hype I have been hearing about BB strokers, well to put it in simple terms, I just about $hit myself the first time I throttled it. This beast will absolutly grab you by the seat of your pants and pin you there until you let up! The bite of this monster will definitly back up it's bark! :icon_smile_big:

firefighter3931

Quote from: steves66 on May 01, 2006, 12:37:08 PM
I just about $hit myself the first time I throttled it.

So, i guess it's safe to say you're pleased with the outcome  :icon_smile_big:

Glad you like it....now take it easy on those rear tires !  :drive:

How is it idleing Steve ? Idle speed rpm ? Vacuum ? Low speed manners ? Off idle power ? Any tuning issues you're concerned about ?

Last but not least....where's the gratuitous burnout pic  :D

Ron

Ps. Nice car btw....what color is that ? Just got a glimpse of it in the vid clip....
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

steves66

Pleased is an understatement! I've been trying to take it easy for at least the first 500 miles, but damn it's hard when you have this much torque. Right now I have her idleing at about 850-900 and she has a healthy chop to her. I am still trying to dial in on the tuning. Got it pretty good at idle and at about 2500, but in between there I have a little stumbling. She wants to run a little warm too. Hopefully that will disappear once it gets good and broke in. Right now I have the timing set at 18 and total at at about 36. I hooked a cheap vacuum gauge up to the intake and the needle bounced between 8 and 20, so I couldn't tell where the vacuum was at idle.
The burnout pic is soon to come! :icon_smile_big:
The color is PPG base/clear Copper Metallic Pearl. Here is a better pic of it.

Street_Challenged73

Very healthy sounding engine, Steve!  That car looks very cool, too. :yesnod:
1973 FC-7 Dodge Challenger.....................(x)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo...........(x)
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...

firefighter3931

Wow...the car looks Sharp...luv the color  :drool5:

The stumble is probably a carb issue. Is the 850dp straight out of the box ? It might need some more jet on the primaries and possibly a squirter swap. First things first though....get her broken in and loosened up.  ;)

The timing looks good....18/36 should be just about right. Fwiw, mine made it's best power #'s at 35* total with the same compression ratio so i don't see you needing to throw any more timing into it.

Steve, your engine is pretty much the stroker recipe i'm going to build in the future....with maybe a few variations on the cam and induction package.  :yesnod:

Any chance you'll be coming to Carlisle ? I'd luv to see the car.... 

Ron

Chryco Psycho

Mefirst

steves66

Thanks fellas!
The 850 is right out of the box. I adjusted the primaries just a little, but that's just about it. The stumble isn't that bad, but I can tell you one thing at about 1500 and then step on it you better be hanging on because the stumble disappears in a hurry and those 295's are no match for this beast! :icon_smile_big: Feels like something is slipping until you look in the rearview mirror and see a cloud of smoke with two big rubber marks coming out of it! :devil:
I am hoping to make it to Carlisle this year. I don't know what to expect on gas milage. With the Gear Vendors it might get better than I am expecting. I am thinking around  10-12??? ???

MassCharger73

:2thumbs: Thanks for the video..loved it  :2thumbs:  I was grinning the whole time, BTW the car looks GREAT.
1973 Charger

firefighter3931

Quote from: steves66 on May 02, 2006, 05:25:28 AM
I am hoping to make it to Carlisle this year. I don't know what to expect on gas milage. With the Gear Vendors it might get better than I am expecting. I am thinking around  10-12??? ???

Excellent.....hope you make it Steve.  :icon_smile_big: I want a ride in that Copper bandit !!!  :devil:

Ron

steves66

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 03, 2006, 07:26:37 PM
Quote from: steves66 on May 02, 2006, 05:25:28 AM

Excellent.....hope you make it Steve.  :icon_smile_big: I want a ride in that Copper bandit !!!  :devil:

Ron

With all of your expert advise you have given me on this build the Copper bandit would be honered if you would take it for a tire smokin for yourself! :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Quote from: steves66 on May 04, 2006, 05:11:19 AM

With all of your expert advise you have given me on this build the Copper bandit would be honered if you would take it for a tire smokin for yourself! :yesnod:

Thanks Steve....now i'm really looking forward to Carlisle !  :drool5: :cheers:

Ron

Steve P.

So where's the burn out video??   :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Rack

Oh man that is an awesome sound.

Why bother having a radio when you can just listen to that engine? F'in Great!

Yeah a burnout pic or vid would be nice.  :yesnod:

Brightyellow69rtse

very very cool, i might be doin something very similar myself in the very near future  :yesnod:.......Mike

tan top

good video . sounds like you have put an awesome engine togeather there   :2thumbs: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

steves66

Thanks again fellas! The burnout video is coming soon. I made the mistake by not putting any attention on the trans and now it is out at the shop getting a performance rebuild. I should have it back this week. The shop has been waiting on the valve body to come it.

firefighter3931

Good news Steve....looking forward to the burnout video  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

grouseman

There is no need to tenderfoot it now.   The cam is broken in, let 'er rip.  You NEED to apply lots of throttle early on in the life of the rings & bore crosshatch to get them to seat well.  Otherwise, you can get lots of blow-by. 

Do a search to confirm. 

73Charger

cool - yeah its now ready for a bit more rpm cycles  ;D
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.