News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

With tons of Mopars going overseas, whats the future here in the states?

Started by socalcharger, January 19, 2018, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ht4spd307

cars will come and cars will go just like us. i had to purchase mine from America as Americans have purchased aussie muscle from here no big deal its only the cost of shipping if you want a car. quick here is one for sale dam you must be slow its still for sale     
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/1968-dodge-charger-clean/6463540405.html

alfaitalia

Well I wanted a Charger......they where made and pretty much solely bought in the continental US....so where was I supposed to import one from ? The anti export guys amongst you....well how do you suppose to stop selling them abroad...if you decide not to sell yours to a "foreigner" the next "Good Ol Boy" you sell it to might flip it to Europe right away!! Quite a ridiculous suggestion in a free market economy ...one on which the US depends heavily at that. Its not like we pay less for them...the exchange rate sees to that. I imported mine personally....but lots import using an agency....usually one based in the USA!!....then it really starts to get expensive. $20,000 for a bare shell OK for you?? Then we have to pay two types of import tax on the cars as well as the spares from the US and wait weeks. So we pay and pay through the nose....but if you want something bad enough. Yes it would be a lot cheaper and easier for me to build a Jenson Interceptor....hell, it would even have the same 440 lump in!! You will always have far more to choose from than us....so don't be bitter about the relatively tiny number exported.

PS. A ship is on its way to get all the classic British iron you have over there.....and there are lots of British classic car (and motorcycle) fans in the US !!! LOL.

I cant believe you would ever see such a suggestion on a UK classic car site and loads of our cars go overseas !

This seems like quite a pointless thread...cus if you agree or disagree it wont stop cars being sold overseas. :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chargerboy69

My last 69 Charger SE went to Germany.  Reason being I got $14,000.00 more for it than my highest offer here in the states.  I had a few tire kickers around offering me half my asking price for a beautiful 36,000 original mile car, no thanks.  I got full asking price and then some thanks to a bidding war between two oversees buyers. I would have rather had it stay here, but the buyers did not feel like paying.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

socalcharger

We are competeing with norway and german douchebag DEALERS that pounce on these cars literally the minute they pop up for sale out here, i mean literally within hours, by the time you can even call and ask a few questions and ask to come see the car with cash they will tell you that several dealers from germany and or norway and wherever hell else have already called him. Its disgusting, these guys arent even buying them for themselves, these are dealers that are flipping them overseas. You will literally have to be searching every minute of every day for you to get a chance to go see a charger these days. We are over here fighting in our own backyard with some guy on the other side of the world? Fuck that! ANY mopar that pops up for sale, even if it was posted an hour ago they will tell you that some overseas dealer has already called and is trying to make a deal. They post up them up for sale overseas with some insane ridiculous euro price tag(ive seen them on foreign classic car sites) and that car will never come back again.

socalcharger

And to everyone saying, well you can just buy one overseas, have you guys seen the price mark ups they do when these chargers get over their?
$80k euros for some 383 green bench seat charger? Yeah i dont think so. So once they are gone they wont be coming back.

Lennard

Hey asshole.... quit cussing. Don't be butt hurt that you have less money to spend than other people and go cry somewhere else.

alfaitalia

Its getting to the point where us Euro type just wont be able to afford them......its already pretty much there imo. If I hadn't already bought one I could not afford to get one now. I don't expect to see Charger imports from the US to keep coming in the numbers they have been.......but I could be wrong!

Lennard

I don't see him cry about Jay Leno and other Murican millionaires buying all kinds of rare cars from all over the world,  including Europe... and import them to the USA.

XH29N0G

I'm not offended by others buying cars and moving them across borders.  They pay the same money and that is the way business works.  I know at least one expat who wanted his childhood car and ponied up the money to get it.  I know he takes good care of it and gets a lot of enjoyment from it.  That is fine in my book.  I also understand that the scarcity of these cars can make buying one difficult, but a way around that is to pay a little above the going rate.  If you want a deal, then you have to wait and gamble with the market and I know that can be frustrating.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: socalcharger on January 20, 2018, 10:41:41 AM
We are competeing 

Some tips.

Compete harder then, play to win.

Stay awake 24-7 to scan for new ads -or- post 'want ads' & see what comes to you.

Have your funds ready.

phantom

Well, if you dont like us douchebag Norwegians importing your Mopars, you will HATE this picture of my 68 on the docks of New Jersey, waiting to be loaded on to a boat  ;D

By the way, tell me which dealer in Norway that imports loads of Mopars, because i've never heard of one.  

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 20, 2018, 12:08:35 AM
If you want a muscle car pay the going price
That simple
If you can not afford a second gen Charger price find something else you can afford

EXACTLY!!!!

You don't like the price (not my price, real market prices), perhaps another model is for you  :Twocents:

When I ran my ad online, I got email from folks who never saw my car (granted, my pics were stellar), offering 10-15k less than my asking price. Now my price wasn't firm, but it was in the ballpark, and that's where I settled in the end. Overseas it went, and to the guy with the money.

Chad L. Magee

You know, in reading all of this topic, I came to a discovery.  The musclecar market is constantly changing, ever evolving.  I keep hearing about how the prices are going to fall once the baby boomers die off and how everything that we treasure is going to be worthless.  I really do not think it will go that way.  What has not been factored into the equation is the distribution of the cars into the overseas markets.  We tend to think only locally, when we really should be thinking globally.  What that part may do is transfer more of our machines over there until an equilibrium is reached.  At that point, it is likely that some will return.  Having some of them move across the sea is not a bad thing, it shows that the world is starting to appreciate them.  That is not all bad.

Yes, that will make finding projects here harder to do if it happens.  Take it as a kindly reminder to be searching for them now rather than later....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Challenger340

IMO, just plain "free market" fundamentals at work ?

Seller's don't care "where" the money comes from Overseas or domestic ? nor should they !
If this has obvious connotations to the price point and availability of good examples left HERE, for those that are" domestically" based and seeking to Purchase ?  I guess that's too darn bad !
unless,
someone can "make the case" to me, WHY if I was a Seller ?   I should accept LESS just to see the car stay on the continent ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

303 Mopar

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 20, 2018, 01:37:27 PM
IMO, just plain "free market" fundamentals at work ?

Seller's don't care "where" the money comes from Overseas or domestic ? nor should they !
If this has obvious connotations to the price point and availability of good examples left HERE, for those that are" domestically" based and seeking to Purchase ?  I guess that's too darn bad !
unless,
someone can "make the case" to me, WHY if I was a Seller ?   I should accept LESS just to see the car stay on the continent ?

Patriotism  :shruggy:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

alfaitalia

...or stupidity?..you decide. And that's not really patriotism anyway imo. Real patriotism is pride in your country...so being proud of a US product that is desired by people around the world...that's patriotism. I'm proud so many Americans buy British built Rolls and Range Rovers or desire old British cars and motorcycles for example.

DAY CLONA

Talk about a lame thread...what's next?, screening buyers to make sure your beloved Mopar/Classic/Musclecar is only sold to caring buyers who express no intention of ever modifying the vehicle or selling it in their lifetime ?

JB400

Has anyone took into consideration of the shear numbers of these cars made?  People are digging these things out of the woods and swamps just to bring them back into the limelight.  Craigslist is flooded with them, and so is E bay. Detroit made what, half a million 2 door Mopars in the glory days?

Exactly how many have been shipped overseas?  A hundred to Australia?  A couple hundred to Europe?  A dozen over to the Middle East?  Even if the US loses 10-12 cars a year, that's not hardly enough to put a significant hole in our volume of cars.

If you stop and look at it, there's a reason Ford decided to sell the Mustang globally with this new generation.  The market is hot now for American muscle, and not just for Mopars, it's Camaro's and Mustangs as well.

6bblgt

Quote from: JB400 on January 20, 2018, 05:10:35 PM
Has anyone took into consideration of the shear numbers of these cars made?  People are digging these things out of the woods and swamps just to bring them back into the limelight.  Craigslist is flooded with them, and so is E bay. Detroit made what, half a million 2 door Mopars in the glory days?

Exactly how many have been shipped overseas?  A hundred to Australia?  A couple hundred to Europe?  A dozen over to the Middle East?  Even if the US loses 10-12 cars a year, that's not hardly enough to put a significant hole in our volume of cars.

If you stop and look at it, there's a reason Ford decided to sell the Mustang globally with this new generation.  The market is hot now for American muscle, and not just for Mopars, it's Camaro's and Mustangs as well.

I think your numbers are greatly underrated - but yes, it's a drop in the bucket

ws23rt

I personally could care less if every Mopar car sold went overseas. If they go to a buyer that made a deal with a seller what difference does it make where the car gets parked.

Example--I recently sold a car that went to Texas. When I owned it it was an Oregon car.  Now it is a Texas car.---it is the same damn car :slap:

The origin of this thread feels like it comes from a naive panic of some sort.  

Is our country being invaded by an outside enemy that conspires to crush our hobby and somehow make it theirs? :slap:

The market is still alive. (for now) If the store next door doesn't have what you seek to go to the store that does.

We all have tales of a car that we really wanted but someone else beat us to it.

70B5Cuda

I think your numbers are greatly underrated - but yes, it's a drop in the bucket
[/quote]

Yes the numbers are quite low. I bet 500-1000 Mopars are moving overseas per year, but folks overseas aren't just buying the rare/desirable cars. They're buying A/B/C/E bodies.....all of them. And they're buying some of the really rough cars to make it cheap up front. They're taking some really rough and undesirable cars too. By doing that, they are stirring interest in models we don't even think about. And that raises used parts sales for A/C/F bodies and it raises aftermarket support levels for these cars. Heck, I've sold 5 Mopars to Poland in the last 6 months...but they were all pretty rough cars that no one really wanted here in the U.S. In fact, several of the rough Mopars I've sold have been featured in the "delusional sellers" thread. I think it's amusing. They're willing to pay.....
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

Alaskan_TA

One thing that I have noticed over the years about some of the overseas buyers is that some of them have a real passion for the bigger cars & 4-doors too.

Many here in the US have no respect for 4-doors or the bigger cars at all & that is sad.

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

alfaitalia

We look after them.....honest! Imagine how much attention a huge car like a Charger gets in the land of small Euroboxes and Japanese hatches....It stops traffic! People love them as they are so rare. Like driving a Jenson Interceptor (insert rare Brit car of your choice here!) around over there I would think! I tried to find out how many 68-70 Chargers there are in the UK....no joy. But if its more that 30 or 40 Id be amazed.

kokxville

1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"