News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

With tons of Mopars going overseas, whats the future here in the states?

Started by socalcharger, January 19, 2018, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalcharger

Anybody else have a problem with the amount of cars that are going overseas? Seems like every mopar ends up going overseas at one point or another. Unfortunately looking at youtube videos of car shows in norway and germany it seems they have more and better cars now than we do at car shows in the states. Even worse is the market is drying up with decent cars here in the states and now local people are scavenging for junk and trash. And yet when once in a blue moon a decent charger pops up it ends up going to some guy overseas before anyone local can even get a chance. Not looking for any politically correct answers these are the facts, the shipping yards here are filled with mopars being loaded into containers headed overseas. So how are car shows going to look like in 10 years from now on? 15 years ago there use to be tons of b bodys at car shows now your lucky to see 1 bondo bucket piece of crap.

Mytur Binsdirti

I've sold 2 cars to a guy in Holland & he's got a buddy over there interested in my beautiful 69 Road Runner.

Now, if one of you cheap-ass SOBs wants to buy it it keep it here, that's perfectly fine with me.  :lol:

socalcharger

in a few years when you go to replace those cars and there isnt shit for sale thats when you will regret having the cars go overseas.

70 sublime

My last Charger went to Germany
Was listed on ebay so highest bidder got it
Car was in Canada
The internet makes everything international these days
Who ever has the most money wins
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Baldwinvette77

in the long run its probably a good thing, muscle cars used to be pretty much only in north america and australia. meanwhile tuner cars and exotics are around the globe, if classic mopars end up making fans around the world the aftermarket will likely improve and we may even get a dynacorn charger finally, or maybe even another company will build them. we may even get low number retro super cars like the eagle speedster or singers  :scratchchin:

Mike DC

More overseas buyers = more money dumped into the hobby = better in the long term.  I can deal.  

If you are in Socal then 'scavenging for junk & trash' just means you're starting to experience how things have been for the rest of the country all this century.  Sorry about that.

America still has plenty of nice muscle cars.  They are sitting in thousands of baby boomers' garages where they seldom come out.  In a few more years when they are leaving the hobby, prices are in for a long decline.  Younger kids still respect these cars but fewer of them will spend $40,000 to buy one.  That makes all the difference.

Aero426

Quote from: socalcharger on January 19, 2018, 02:30:34 PM
in a few years when you go to replace those cars and there isnt shit for sale thats when you will regret having the cars go overseas.

Rare cars go back and forth all the time.     We're only talking a small percentage of available cars that get exported.   

Lennard

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 19, 2018, 02:27:33 PM
I've sold 2 cars to a guy in Holland & he's got a buddy over there interested in my beautiful 69 Road Runner.

Now, if one of you cheap-ass SOBs wants to buy it it keep it here, that's perfectly fine with me.  :lol:
This is the reason why cars go overseas.  They are willing to pay up.
And that ain't nothing new... it's been like that for over 30 years.

Alaskan_TA

True Mopar people are worldwide, their location has nothing to do with the passion for these cars we all share.

If one is for sale & it moves across the street or across an ocean when bought, no difference as long as the owner is truly enjoying the car.

socalcharger

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 19, 2018, 04:00:53 PM
True Mopar people are worldwide, their location has nothing to do with the passion for these cars we all share.

If one is for sale & it moves across the street or across an ocean when bought, no difference as long as the owner is truly enjoying the car.

Thats not what I was talking about, thats the politically correct answer that makes everyone happy. Im talking about the market and availabilty of cars here at HOME in the US. We arent talking about "as long as people enjoy them" non sense, in 15-20 years there may not be hardly any cars left here that Americans can enjoy, that is my point. And i dont understand how cars leaving the country can be "good" for this hobby here at home, "More overseas buyers = more money dumped into the hobby = better in the long term" HOW IS THIS GOOD FOR THE LONG TERM? Again just wanting to get peoples opinion on this and maybe look back in 10-15 years when there is literally nothing left here. As we know, they arent making new 68 and 69 chargers, so whatever is out there is it. And to the guys that say they pay more money, so after youve sold your car and its long gone overseas and a little down the road you want to get another one and there isnt jack shit to choose from, that doesnt seem that its "better for the hobby in the long run". 

socalcharger

Lennard

Quote from: socalcharger on January 19, 2018, 05:12:53 PM
And to the guys that say they pay more money, so after youve sold your car and its long gone overseas and a little down the road you want to get another one and there isnt jack shit to choose from, that doesnt seem that its "better for the hobby in the long run".  
I'm saying that foreigners are paying more money for classic cars because it is a fact. And I'm not selling mine to any foreigner or murican.

Alaskan_TA

Another way to look at the big picture........

A LOT of Americans would be upset if Germany wanted all of their classic Volkswagens back.....

Cars have wheels so they can move easy. Borders will never stop that.

If you can not make a deal & it moves beyond your grasp, look for another.

Passion for a car can & does drive sales up, so if there is a car you want & you can afford it, get it without delay.

Have the funds available & be ready to travel when needed.

I made a 7,306 mile road trip last November to secure a 4-door I wanted.

Passion comes from within - no matter where you are or where the car may be located.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I sold a Charger to overseas. It's an $8k difference to me. Sorry, another one left...

JB400

It just means that if we want classic American muscle, you get off your couch, get a plane ticket, and go over seas to get one.

It's a small world when you look at it.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: JB400 on January 19, 2018, 07:23:40 PM
It just means that if we want classic American muscle, you get off your couch, get a plane ticket, and go over seas to get one.

It's a small world when you look at it.

Exactly. A few weeks after the Charger went overseas, I bought another car from overseas and brought to the USA. I'd call it even.

moparstuart

I sold two  my 69 Road Runner High School car  and the 69 charger Kuda Ken car . Both went to Germany  Advertised them here in the US for over 6 months with no luck  . Germany was buying
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

jessejames

Quote from: socalcharger on January 19, 2018, 05:14:32 PM
Im sure there is people that agree with what im saying.

I totally agree! I've been saying this for a long time now. I've lost a few cars to overseas buyers. The little guys like most of us cant compete anymore.  This use to be a fun hobby and going to look at one of these chargers is a competitive game sometimes. These cars are being shipped over to Finland, German and other places at an alarming rate. I don't think they are coming back either. I bought an R/T five years ago... The shipper who dropped mine off told me that the parking lot where he drops off cars  to be put in containers is filled with old mopars waiting be shipped overseas. Just scary to think ten years from now... How many are going to be left.  I wouldn't sell mine overseas either. The ones I own I will keep. It's getting harder and harder to find a good car these days.

socalcharger

Quote from: jessejames on January 19, 2018, 10:04:38 PM

I totally agree! I've been saying this for a long time now. I've lost a few cars to overseas buyers. The little guys like most of us cant compete anymore.  This use to be a fun hobby and going to look at one of these chargers is a competitive game sometimes. These cars are being shipped over to Finland, German and other places at an alarming rate. I don't think they are coming back either. I bought an R/T five years ago... The shipper who dropped mine off told me that the parking lot where he drops off cars  to be put in containers is filled with old mopars waiting be shipped overseas. Just scary to think ten years from now... How many are going to be left.  I wouldn't sell mine overseas either. The ones I own I will keep. It's getting harder and harder to find a good car these days.

I know many people agree but apparently dont want to say it on this site and want to be politically correct by saying mopar fans are everywhere in the world and as long as they enjoy them" non sense. We should be more concerned with the mopar scene and lively hood of the hobby here AT HOME instead of cheering on other countrys for buying them, future generations here wont even have an oppurtunity to not only not own one, but not even see one at a show or on the street. Everyone i talk to here say they hate when cars go overseas. Its ridiculous that we are here competing for cars in our own backyard with some douche on the other side of the world, and in some cases cars have only been posted for hours for sale and already some overseas guy is already trying to buy it. Unless we decide to stick with domestic buyers I honestly dont see this hobby being around 10 years from now. We will have to watch youtube videos of car shows in norway and germany if we want to remember what mopars use to look like.

Lennard

::) Did you just come here to insult people?  If a douche like you isn't willing to pay good money for a car and a guy in another country  is.... that doesn't make him a douche. It makes you a sore loser.

Mike DC

Think longer-term.  

This hobby only feels short on cars right now.  Just wait until the baby boomers' cars are getting dumped onto the market in mass numbers in the next few decades.  We will end up with a lot more cars to choose from.  

Does this seem farfetched?  Go look at every previous generation of cars.  When the big generation of fans die/retire off, the demand dies with them.  Seriously.  The biggest fans always have the hardest time imagining it happening.  But it does.  

Muscle cars will probably suffer from this drop less than previous classic cars did.  But it's going to be there.  Baby boomers own something like 80% of all the assets in the USA.  They are THE wealthy generation and also THE muscle car generation.

Q.  Okay, so if we won't be so desperate for more muscle cars in 20 years, what will we want?  

A.  We will want the repro parts industry to keep supporting us, and we'll hope for more young people in the hobby.  Preferably with money to spend.  

The near-term high price periods piss us off.  But then we get a flood of good repro/modifying parts coming a few years later, and we don't make the connection.  It's there.  

VegasCharger

No need to call an overseas car buyer a "douche".

Look here's my take. If you were to sell your Mopar muscle car and you received your asking price, what difference does it make that it went overseas? You got your asking price didn't you? Let's say you sold your car and you live in Seattle, WA and the buyer is from Miami, FL but Miami is in the US right? You'll never see that car again outside of the internet. What's the difference?

And if the theory is that if you decide that you may want to buy another Charger (or whatever Mopar muscle you sold off) down the road and won't be able to because they're all overseas, then you should've never sold your car in the first place unless you were forced to due to unexpected life situations. Just realize by then either that they're going to be all overseas (highly unlikely) or the asking prices in the US are so astronomical, that it puts you in a big predicament of ever owning one again.

Let's say you had your 2nd gen Charger for sale at an all Mopar event in the car coral and and an American agrees to your asking price of say $40,000. And then let's say that this was overheard by a close standing by European and he jumps in and says "I'll give you $50,000" having the cash in hand and waving it. Okay what's your move? Are you going to take 10k less to satisfy the American who you'll probably never see again or take the extra 10K?? Hmmmmm.

My 2ยข

:cheers:

70 sublime

If you want a muscle car pay the going price
That simple
If you can not afford a second gen Charger price find something else you can afford
cough cough buy a Mustang
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69CoronetRT

Quote from: socalcharger on January 19, 2018, 10:35:07 PM
Quote from: jessejames on January 19, 2018, 10:04:38 PM

I know many people agree but apparently dont want to say it on this site and want to be politically correct by saying mopar fans are everywhere in the world and as long as they enjoy them" non sense. We should be more concerned with the mopar scene and lively hood of the hobby here AT HOME instead of cheering on other countrys for buying them, future generations here wont even have an oppurtunity to not only not own one, but not even see one at a show or on the street. Everyone i talk to here say they hate when cars go overseas. Its ridiculous that we are here competing for cars in our own backyard with some douche on the other side of the world, and in some cases cars have only been posted for hours for sale and already some overseas guy is already trying to buy it. Unless we decide to stick with domestic buyers I honestly dont see this hobby being around 10 years from now. We will have to watch youtube videos of car shows in norway and germany if we want to remember what mopars use to look like.

So..... what's your plan to stop free trade and personal choice?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Y1CHARGER

The OP reminds me of the guy that started a post on here a while back about a "go fund me page" so he could buy a Charger.  How'd that work out  :lol: :lol: