News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

With tons of Mopars going overseas, whats the future here in the states?

Started by socalcharger, January 19, 2018, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerolith

OK SoCal.

I see your point, I think?

Yep we have so many Gen2 Chargers in the UK, Folks are sick of the sight of them.
Real Mopar Folks won't buy them anymore as they is overpriced and too common, which is sad!
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Me again,

You can buy a 10 year old Bentley Continental GT (£150,000 new) cheaper than a Charger 'basket-case' here in the UK.

Why people are still buying 50 year old rusty American wrecks is beyond me?

IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Old Moparz

If you can't afford the car hobby, get out. Stop bitching about people who can & start your own belly button lint collection, it's basically free.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

aerolith

Great collection there fella, that's way better than mine, I couldn't even fill one JAR in 60 years!
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

TruckDriver

The reality is, MOPAR's are the most wanted and highest in demand over seas. I have not only read that in a magazine about a year ago, I recently saw it on tv, where they sent a red Challenger R/T to Sweden. And because MOPAR's were all built in low numbers back in the Muscle days, It is going to make the prices here in the states skyrocket for the older cars. This is why as far as Muscle cars, I'm going back to GM's or maybe a pre-'74 Ford.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mike DC

IMO inflation is responsible for a lot of complaining in this hobby.  

People say "I could have bought one for half this price when I looked in 2004!"  But look around.  Prices have doubled on many things since then.  

aerolith

Thats what we all say!

Everything doubles in ten years, even Chargers lol...
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Kern Dog

Quote from: socalcharger on January 19, 2018, 10:35:07 PM
Its ridiculous that we are here competing for cars in our own backyard with some douche on the other side of the world,

So...because a buyer is overseas, he is considered a cleaner of pussies ?

Reezee

I dont chime in much, but as a recent overseas buyer this seems to be atopic were my  :Twocents: will be well spent.

I fell in love with the second generation Charger at the age of 10. It became an obsession and a dream to own one. The thought of owning a Charger got me through some difficult times and now, 17 years later, I finally got to buy one. I worked my ass of in those years, to save cash, while seeing the prices rise at an alarming rate, all the while getting my own life on track as a young adult. The car I bought was rough but solid and has cost me every penny I saved and will continue to do so because I am doing a full retoration. Something that makes me proud, because I am actually saving one of these epic, dream fulfilling cars.

However, because I am Dutch and the car is now here, all of the above is somehow inferior to you, because you are a American and therefore have more right to owning one? I suggest you pony up the cash and buy one. I had to hunt for this car, I had deals fall through because an American showed up, seconds after I called, with a trailer and cash. And you know what? It suuuuucks, but that is how the game works.
Deals fall through, money talks, bullshit walks, the early bird.. etc. etc. I spent everyday online, looking at new craigslist adds, crawling through facebook groups, just trying to find the car that fits my budget AND would be willing to sell to a overseas "foreigner". So if I can do it, from here, with fairly limited funds, behind my computer, what is stopping you? I would have loved the chance to be in the US to buy one of these cars. Heck I'd love to travel to the US again, but I bought a Charger project so that ship has sailed  :lol:.

Anyway, to sum it up, dont generalize people man. We all share the same passion on here, in a market that is constantly changing. If you want one, out work/out search/out smart/out bid the others. Basic free market, supply/demand stuff.
Thinker of thoughts such as: "What have I gotten myself into" & "This car is going to be so awesome when it's done"

Follow my restoration on:
YouTube under Richard's Resto
Facebook.com/MoparRichard
Instagram.com/MoparsInEurope

jessejames

Quote from: aerolith on January 21, 2018, 09:24:19 AM
OK SoCal.

I see your point, I think?
Yep we have so many Gen2 Chargers in the UK, we are sick of the sight of them!
Real Mopar Folks won't buy them anymore as they is overpriced and 'common as muck'.

The problem goes back to the influx of 70'sAmerican sit-coms and car fixer-up programmes.
If you want to keep something a secret then don't make car-films and the infamous DOH series...

Oh yes and the other thing that happened was a dollar to pound rate, well in our favour too.
Now its more equal around 1.3 dollars to a pound the craze for Chargers has calmed down.
All we see here now is rusty wrecks for £15,000 and only a few diehards will pay that!

Don't forget that we have paid through the nose for 'shipping and duty' on thousands of resto parts which fuelled your economy!
You get them made in China ship them to the USA and then ship them to US EuroNUTS...

At least the shipping company's getting something outta Charger resto... :smilielol:

You make a good point! :cheers:

alfaitalia

Quote from: aerolith on January 21, 2018, 01:35:39 PM
In theory, everything doubles in ten years, that's in a 'like for like' situation.
Very few things are that simple though.

I sold my house in London for £150,000 in 1993 now its worth £1,600,000!
Hey, I sold it in a slump and several Folks have spent a small fortune doing the house up, it ain't the same house.

When it comes to buying from overseas you have different things in play!
Mainly for us Europeans its 'Exchange rate', so clever Folks buy and sell cars at high's and lows.

Most of us buy a Dodge Charger cos we like 'em!
You could buy a nice Superbird 'on a USA lot' for approx $5000 in 1980, I saw 'em myself.
We all saw them and passed, but clever Euro-Folks bought them at that time with an exchange rate of 2.4 dollars to the pound!

But there are other things in play here, WAGES!
Average UK wage in 1980 was £5000 and the USA was $12,500.

You do the math lol... :shruggy:

Is still the same..as of 2017 the average American earns about $66,000 US...a Brit earns about $44,000 and the UK is two places above the U.S. In the Worldwide Cost of Living Index...meaning it costs, on average more to live to the same standard in the UK than America. Now I'm not complaining about this as I love my country and I choose to live here....but my point is as the fact that we have less disposable cash than you, the exchange rate is crap, the expensive import taxes and even finding a seller in the US who does not think every foreign buyer is a Nigerian conman is not straight forward.....then maybe you not might appreciate how many hoops we have to jump through to even think about even getting a car here...and all that is before we start the build. You guys just need to think yourselves lucky that you have the relatively large choice of Chargers to choose from that you do compared to us...and at a lot less money when you take everything into account. Thank you and goodnight!

By the way aerolith....you are British..so it's maths...plural...lol!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chargerperson

seems like the UK should be complaining, not the US.  Realize this is for new and old cars but the point of imports to US of classics is still valid.

Article Excerpt, link below
American drivers are growing increasingly fond of British-made automobiles.
They purchased nearly 50% more British cars in 2016 compare to the previous year, helping British automakers hike their annual production to a 17-year high.

The U.K. Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said nearly 200,000 British-made cars were shipped to the U.S. last year.

Meanwhile, just 40,000 U.S. cars were registered in the U.K. in 2016.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/25/autos/cars-us-uk-trade/index.html

A12 Superbee

I don't think any people, and by people I mean you Americans, have any right to have a problem with the number of Mopars being shipped overseas when you arbitrarily destroy them for shits and giggles in pretty much every movie YOU have ever made! Americans have been writing off classic Mopars forever for fun! And now you're (SoCal) complaining that all the good cars are heading overseas?

You should be thanking us (I have an A12 in Australia) for saving these cars from being wrecked in the next Fast and Furious movie or some DoH event at a shopping centre where yet another 69 Charger is sacrificed to your gods all in the name of fun, while you and your little kiddies are suppin on giant sized soda's and munching down cheeseburgers and laughin and smiling while a 2nd Gen B body dies for your amusement! Seriously, how fkn dare you! You have no right to have even thought this was a good idea for a topic or a bleat and moan! Thanks to the stronger economies of us 'foreign imperialist dogs', we have saved cars for future posterity but also, we have put millions of dollars, yes count em, millions into the pockets of hard working Americans who needed the cash!

I spent and therefore put, $51K US into the pocket of an older US gentleman for his A12, I bet that money came in real handy to him, probably paid for much needed medical care or home improvements, maybe he used it to help one of his kids buy their first house, I dunno, but no one from the US ponied up the cash and the car was on the market for quite a while, basically, you had your chance!

Now, there are Mopar enthusiasts here in Australia who grew up only reading about A12 Superbees and they have finally seen one in the flesh, this has caused them to chase their dream of owning a classic Mopar which drives interest in the hobby and puts more money into the pockets of Americans, yet somehow you have a problem with this?

I'm glad that there are literally thousands of classic Mopar muscle cars out here, I'd actually surmise that there are more here than in Germany or anywhere else, but these cars have not been stolen from you, they have been saved and your countries economy has benefited from it, so be thankful and embrace and encourage it, you have more than enough cars to keep you going over there!
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

RECHRGD

I came close to selling mine to a Australian gentleman last year.  Didn't bother me at all.  He was more than willing to pay more than I thought it would bring around here.  At the time, there was only one '68 Charger for sale on the whole continent, according to him.  It had huge price tag on it, but after figuring all the added fees, shipping and travel to see my car, it was pretty much a wash.  Supply and demand dictate value.  If I decide to get serious about selling in the future, it will go to the highest bidder, period.....
13.53 @ 105.32

socalcharger

As i expected and thought all the foreigners came out the woodworks talking about that its their dream car ever since they came out the woumb and blah blah blah, my question was whats the mopar scene going to look like here at home in the US in 10 years with the amount of cars thats leaving the US.

JB400

It doesn't matter.  We're all going to be riding in self driving electric cars anyway.  Let the foreigners ride in them while they still got the chance.

ws23rt

Quote from: socalcharger on January 21, 2018, 08:56:09 PM
As i expected and thought all the foreigners came out the woodworks talking about that its their dream car ever since they came out the woumb and blah blah blah, my question was whats the mopar scene going to look like here at home in the US in 10 years with the amount of cars thats leaving the US.

In 10 years ALL Mopars will be in Europe.  :shruggy:  When buying and owning the car of your dreams it can be had for reasonable money but it -must stay in Europe. (Or Australia or wherever).
Take a trip and enjoy your car but park it in its permanent new home country forever. :slap:

Socal--The "Mopar scene" is alive and well. --Buy what you want quick and hide it.  Maybe you will become THE only local "scene" left in your neighborhood. It could be glorious for you.  

A12 Superbee

Your question has been answered here several times over, there are more than enough classic Mopars in the US now and in 10-20-30 years for there to still be heaps of cars to look at, at car shows etc. If the cars leaving the US for overseas was as big an issue as you think it is, take a look at Carlisle, are the numbers of cars down, steady or up? I personally don't know but that would be an interesting barometer of what the trend is.

Also, I gather by your tone that people from overseas have no right to want a classic Mopar 'ever since they were in the womb', why? We were fed the exact same TV shows and movies you were! We went and watched Vanishing Point at the drive-in movie theatre like you did, there was also no shortage of US cars already here in the fifties and sixties, my dads first Car was a 53 Dodge, then came a Ford Customline, neither of which were Australian cars.
We, you and I, were fed the same diet of cars from the day we were born, why do you think it unreasonable that I too would want a classic Mopar or am any less worthy than you just because of where I was born?
I can tell you that the local Australian built 'muscle cars' are so over-priced that most people will never be able to afford one, so the US cars become very attractive. Don't blame us for wanting some of your best cars, be proud that there are people on the other side of the world who love them as much as you and are caring for them, there are lots to go around, you won't miss out.

If you are looking for someone to blame, don't blame us, we just bought a car from an American, not our fault. You don't hear us complaining about you lot constantly arriving late for world wars, we are all in this together as a community of like-minded enthusiasts and while the hobby is world-wide, there'll always be an interest in companies making repro parts and in that way, its win-win for us both!
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

fc7_plumcrazy

I do not like it europeans&australians aka the "foreigners" jumping in here to much
There is no need to justify why you buy a Mopar.
And it doesn't matter to the discussion either.
It doesn't matter how the financial situation is in a certain country etcetc.

It is a free open market were people can decide for themself what to do (aka whom to sell).
I shipped myself a 58 Chrysler 300D Fuel Injection back to the US and another rare one might be swimming back, too soon.

socalcharger wants an open discussion without political correctness.
Facing his statements it seems he is a snowflake blaming others for his failure of being to slow in hunting a Mopar and not working hard enoguh to earn adequate money.

Carsten

alfaitalia

aerolith

IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

69CoronetRT

Again, from page one, what's YOUR plan to stop a free market economy and limit personal choice?

I hear your position but do not hear a plan. If you'd like to put forward a proposition, we'd love to hear it.

Is it your intent to have others modify their behavior to benefit you?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

INTMD8

Quote from: socalcharger on January 20, 2018, 10:41:41 AM
We are over here fighting in our own backyard with some guy on the other side of the world? Fuck that!

You have no more right to buy and own a Charger than anyone else in the world.

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

birdsandbees

Someone needs to take their sour grapes to the compost bin !  :pity:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

alfaitalia

Be interesting to know how many members on here actually have a classic British or European car or motorcycle....I willing to be its a few.