News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6.4L gen III hemi crate motor

Started by Young_Buck500, January 23, 2018, 10:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Young_Buck500

I got a 67 coronet and im interested in the 6.4L gen III hemi crate motor. What transmissions can be used? Will i have to cut and remake my transmission tunnel. If post not aloud sorry. But info will be appreciated.

Troy

The new Hemis have the same mounting surface as the LA and Magnum blocks going back to the 60s. Pretty much anything that came stock when these cars were new will fit (you'll want the properly weighted flywheel or flexplate/converter for the Hemi). Now, a stock type transmission means you won't have to modify the floor or cross members BUT you won't have overdrive. Installing an OD transmission has the same fitment requirements as any other engine in these cars. Some are more difficult and labor intensive than others. If you want a modern transmission (say an 8-speed) it's not going to fit without a BIG hole and a lot of modification.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

randy73

you can use the 727 or A518 automatics and the GM 700, when I put the 518 in my 73 I had to do the following. For manuals, I believe Passion and several others have offerings, but I am not familiar with manuals.

1) shorten driveshaft or get a custom one
2) if you get the 46RH/A518, you will either have rig up a switch for OD or do what I did and you PATC's method, it is on their website.
3) I had to put a 1/2" ding on the passenger side, but you might not have too as there is a guy who put one in a RR with no body mods.
4) tranny mounts in different spot (I used a chevy 1500 tranny mount and modified the tranny bracket) and bracket needs to be cut wider on the inside  to except the wider tailshaft.

This is the simplified instructions, I wrote out complete details in another thread.

Bad B-rad

I know any small block 904 or 727 will work for the new 5.7/6.4 Hemis(bellhousing wise),and should only need just an adaptor plate for torque convertor and to space starter correctly. Those two transmissions would be the easiest to do with the least mods, but the above sugjestions will work also.

The 6.4 is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!
I have been racing the modern Hemi street shoot out and those dam 6.4 are putting down some POWER!
Good LUCK!!!!!!!!