News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 with A/C: 3 or 4 groove crank pulley ?

Started by Kern Dog, January 20, 2018, 12:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Most pictures I see of big blocks with A/C show them with a 4 groove crank pulley. Two belts drive the A/C pump and alternator, 1 belt drives the water pump and one belt drives the P/S.
A few times, I have seen a 3 belt setup. 2 belts still run the A/C pump and alternator but then I see a single belt that drives both the water pump and P/S. The 3 groove setup seems to look cleaner and simpler.
Does anyone know the year and model of vehicle that the 3 belt arrangement came on?

cdr

I have 4 belts, I recommend using the smaller AC water pump pulley.

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Smaller, to speed up the flow of coolant. Smart.   :2thumbs:

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 20, 2018, 12:46:58 AM
Smaller, to speed up the flow of coolant. Smart.   :2thumbs:

It also turns the fan blade faster.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

Keep in mind that, when the factory went to the smaller WP pulley, they also used the 6-vane pump instead of the standard 8-vane. They believed that overdriving the 8-vane would cause cavitation.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 20, 2018, 12:50:53 PM

Keep in mind that, when the factory went to the smaller WP pulley, they also used the 6-vane pump instead of the standard 8-vane. They believed that overdriving the 8-vane would cause cavitation.

yes, you must use the smaller 6 vane pump when you use the smaller water pump pulley....

I found this out long ago....car was fine when cruising around town, but the minute I got on the freeway, the temp climbed up considerably

Kern Dog

Since I have a couple boxes of pulleys from several parted out cars, I decided to mock up some parts on a spare 440. I found that a 3 groove setup will work as I had hoped. There will be 2 belts for the A/C and alternator and one belt to drive the water pump and P/S. I have a WP pulley that will work but it is a 2 groove. I would prefer to use a single groove WP pulley but I don't know where I can find one 5 1/4" in diameter and 1 1/2" deep. I'll probably use this 2 groove until I find a single groove someday.

A383Wing

If you use the 2 groove water pump pulley, you need to make sure that the 3 groove crank pulley belt grooves are the same diameter and width, otherwise you will get belt squeal from the belts fighting each other

Did that make sense?

Kern Dog

Yes it did. I have a stash of different belts here to use for mocking stuff up. The crank pulley grooves are deeper than the water pump pulley...not sure if that matters.

A383Wing

as long as the grooves are the same diameter, it will be fine....