News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's everyone's plan for their charger in 2018

Started by cbrestorations, December 31, 2017, 10:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

I usually drive the charger 3000 km per season (Canada), would like to hit 5000 km this season. :cheers:

garner7555

Quote from: JR on January 01, 2018, 03:24:49 PM
I really want to pick up a set of invincible extremes caliper mounts and install the late model 14 inch Mustang GT front rotors, and rear disc brakes with power assist. And a borgenson steering box as well.

Those are high priority. Secondary will be shedding weight where I can. Glass hood, QA1 subframe, etc.

Third will be more road trips. I hope to have more adventures and memories in my Charger this year. Maybe hot rod power tour, or a roadkill event.

I am hoping to have mine finished in time for the Power Tour since it's coming through Alabama again, but we will see.  My second child is due at the end of March so that may prevent the Power Tour from being an option.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

JR

Quote from: garner7555 on January 01, 2018, 09:30:33 PM
Quote from: JR on January 01, 2018, 03:24:49 PM
I really want to pick up a set of invincible extremes caliper mounts and install the late model 14 inch Mustang GT front rotors, and rear disc brakes with power assist. And a borgenson steering box as well.

Those are high priority. Secondary will be shedding weight where I can. Glass hood, QA1 subframe, etc.

Third will be more road trips. I hope to have more adventures and memories in my Charger this year. Maybe hot rod power tour, or a roadkill event.

I am hoping to have mine finished in time for the Power Tour since it's coming through Alabama again, but we will see.  My second child is due at the end of March so that may prevent the Power Tour from being an option.

I had no idea they were coming through, that's awesome. Hopefully you can make it.

And congrats on the new baby!
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

lukedukem

I need to get the boat out of the shop so I can change the oil in the charger. Then just drive it more. Do some burn outs.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

bakerhillpins

Reliability and rear end suspension rebuild.

Determined that my starting issue was due to a faulty/failed positive battery cable. Purchased a new starter just in case so may put that in regardless.
Still trying to figure out the dam front brake performance issues.

Rear leaf springs are crap so want to replace those and would like to put 3.23s in the rear end. The rear springs are probably all I will get to back there this year.

Gas tank is also leaking when full and temps swing so need to look into that too.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Nacho-RT74

finish the body job, engine fix and tranny upgrade, reassemble it and take it into a container up to Spain...

Once in Spain... get a Tuff Stuff alt, Bilstein RDC Shocks and... I can't recall whate else I still own to my car. ( I made a thread about that some months ago ). Maybe add rear spring sliders. But need to get a job in Euros to be able to pay for that, not anymore in Bolivares ( local currency ). Local currency is not enough even for food at this moment.

editing... OH! and slider kind caliper brackets to 11.75" rotors... and the respective centric slotted and drilled pieces ( I have those at this moment but on 10.9" stock size)
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Challenger340

I am actually contemplating rebuilding the original 440 Magnum in the '69 R/T SE, still running well at 137,000 miles untouched since new.
WHY ?
because I can !
and probably better to do it while it's still in good shape, and at my age best done before I am too old to do it ! before the factory Nylon Timing Gear craps off, or anything else goes south.

Upside:
* there ain't NOBODY out there better than me at a 440 Mopar Engine (some just as good, but none "better"),
* I can then drive it as much as I want in future without worrying about upping the mileage.
* 450 hp and 530 Ft/Lbs is a piece of piss for me using the factory original parts, been there done this lots before.
* Document the entire engine rebuild, and also catalog for posterity EXACTLY what was inside an Original UN-touched 1969 440 Magnum. Things like Piston C.D.'s, actual Block deck heights, C.R., factory Cam events, Crank & Rod Sizings from the orange "magnum" HP Engine side assembly line(Yes, they were machined/parts selected differently than the non-hp brethren) etc., etc.
* I can detail the factory original engine bay paint etc., with the engine out.

Downside:
* probably shit-cans some collector value off the Car ?  I mean how many are still running around on their original UN-rebuilt, Un-touched factory 440 Magnums ? and still running well ?
* probably LOSE the factory original Exhaust System still intact on the Car ? I mean it's in "OK" shape, no leaks, etc., but makes no sense putting it back on. Again = Negative Collector Value because how many still running around on their factory original exhaust pipes these days ?
* No longer "factory original".... it would then be "rebuilt".

Any I've missed ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 02, 2018, 12:17:27 PM
I am actually contemplating rebuilding the original 440 Magnum in the '69 R/T SE, still running well at 137,000 miles untouched since new.
WHY ?
because I can !
and probably better to do it while it's still in good shape, and at my age best done before I am too old to do it ! before the factory Nylon Timing Gear craps off, or anything else goes south.

Upside:
* there ain't NOBODY out there better than me at a 440 Mopar Engine (some just as good, but none "better"),
* I can then drive it as much as I want in future without worrying about upping the mileage.
* 450 hp and 530 Ft/Lbs is a piece of piss for me using the factory original parts, been there done this lots before.
* Document the entire engine rebuild, and also catalog for posterity EXACTLY what was inside an Original UN-touched 1969 440 Magnum. Things like Piston C.D.'s, actual Block deck heights, C.R., factory Cam events, Crank & Rod Sizings from the orange "magnum" HP Engine side assembly line(Yes, they were machined/parts selected differently than the non-hp brethren) etc., etc.

Downside:
* probably shit-cans some collector value off the Car ?  I mean how many are still running around on their original UN-rebuilt, Un-touched factory 440 Magnums ? and still running well ?
* probably LOSE the factory original Exhaust System still intact on the Car ? I mean it's in "OK" shape, no leaks, etc., but makes no sense putting it back on. Again = Negative Collector Value because how many still running around on their factory original exhaust pipes these days ?

Any I've missed ?

I would love to follow the tear down, especially variations across 8 cylinders and complete cam specs.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 02, 2018, 12:29:59 PM
WHY ?
because I can !

Upside:

Downside:

Any I've missed ?

I would love to follow the tear down, especially variations across 8 cylinders and complete cam specs.

Seriously, That would be some cool information and a very interesting thread to follow.  :2thumbs:

WRT your value points:
Seems like an arbitrary point in the sand about old vs rebuilt.  It's not running the factory oil or air filter. Or the factory shocks, belts, or fuses? And if you replace the rubber bushings or tires? or the seat cushions?  At some point those are wear items and they go. I'd much rather have the correct rebuilt block vs something sitting in glass bottle. Is it cool to have that stuff? I'd be lying if I said no, but I think that the dollar value you place on them might be more than it's actually worth, at least to the largest pool of buyers. But what do I know anyway?  :shruggy: :shruggy:

Save the original exhaust/pistons/rings/what have you. Put it all in a box, if you sell it and they want all that stuff back on, then more power to them.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

68RT440

I plan on continuing to pick away at the restoration. I'm just about done with the metal work on the shell, then I can put it up on the rotisserie and clean up the welds on the underside. Then I can strip and do any metal work on the doors, fenders, trunk lid and hood. Then everything can get sent out for acid dipping and E coat. In the meantime I will continue restoring the individual components like the grill, interior pieces, suspension, etc.
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

jwells1993

preferably throw it back together and dd it in the spring
keep on keepin on

alfaitalia

Very modest of you ! Lol. You must have been very busy looking at the work of every other 440 builder to verify that "fact" . Surprised that leaves you any time to actually work on an engine ! :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Harper

QuoteUpside:

you can sell a book about it and help fund your rebuild! and teach us youngins plenty in the process... :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

grdprx

Find an upholstery shop to install the new Legendary seat covers & pads I got for Christmas.  I also need to clean the garage out, so there is room for the Charger inside.
Drive it!  :drive:

Challenger340

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 02, 2018, 05:45:40 PM

Very modest of you ! Lol. You must have been very busy looking at the work of every other 440 builder to verify that "fact" . Surprised that leaves you any time to actually work on an engine ! :2thumbs:

Why Thank You !
LOL !
Nope, I only pay attention to my own posted Dyno Sheets, but I ain't had any higher claims over at Moparts or other sites, on either an INDY 440-1, 572-13, EZ/SR, or Stage V HEMI Head naturally aspirated builds/sheets to this day ?
As for the time thing ?
once past age 60 and 400-500 B-WEdge Mopar Machining & Builds ? a guy finds time occasionally ! LOL !
Not to mention kinda fun going down to Vegas and watch my Customers Wedges trounce some of the very best in the Country !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

comet_666

New plugs/ adjust timing
put on the tail panel corner molding
change oil, air filter
carb spacer
100+ octane gas
install headliner
drive like hell

cdr

converting to roller cam, T&D rockers, some more port work & a looser converter.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Harper

1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

WHITE AND RED 69

After over a year of neglect my goal is to get it on the road as much as possible. I'd like to get it out to some driving events this year as well. More autocrosses and I would like to even drag race it (the low profile tires won't help but I'd still like to see what it can do).

I've got a bunch of parts ready to go on it. Ported aluminum heads, power windows, projector led headlights, and a bunch of smaller items. But the one item I will be buying in the summer is an overdrive transmission. But I also bought 72 Duster to work on so that might steal some of the funds going towards the transmission.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

XH29N0G

Will drive, continue tinkering with carburetor and weight loss.  Have a few tests I want to try too. Funny how these things are never done.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: cdr on January 03, 2018, 01:21:36 PM
converting to roller cam, T&D rockers, some more port work & a looser converter.

Oh hell yeah!

garner7555

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on January 03, 2018, 04:31:02 PM
After over a year of neglect my goal is to get it on the road as much as possible. I'd like to get it out to some driving events this year as well. More autocrosses and I would like to even drag race it (the low profile tires won't help but I'd still like to see what it can do).

I've got a bunch of parts ready to go on it. Ported aluminum heads, power windows, projector led headlights, and a bunch of smaller items. But the one item I will be buying in the summer is an overdrive transmission. But I also bought 72 Duster to work on so that might steal some of the funds going towards the transmission.

Awesome plans!  We need to see pictures of this Duster...    :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

JB400

Can't make plans.  They'd just get changed.  Hope to get more parts, but we'll just have to wait and see. :popcrn: