News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many miles before long trip?

Started by 440, December 25, 2017, 11:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many miles should be put on a reconditioned engine before a long trip is considered "safe"?

Engine has less than 500 miles on it but needs to make a 500+ mile trip (10+ hours) next week. It is currently on its second oil change of non detergent mineral break in oil and just about due for it's first 500 mile service.

Is it too soon?

Fred

You should be fine. Just keep an eye on your water temp and oil pressure. If the water temp goes up, take a break and enjoy the scenery.
Welcome to Vic.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

There are no gauges in the car  :lol:  just idiot lights. When I swapped out the engine bay harness the factory temp gauge stopped working for some reason and I haven't got around to fixing it.

Should be an interesting trip unless I pull the pin on it. The engine builder wanted it back for its first service to pull the valve covers and intake to check rockers and that the lifters and pushrods are all rotating properly. Needless to say that hasn't happened yet and they aren't back untill the 8th. I was going to leave on the 29th...

We'll be neighbors.... or neighbours to you  :lol:

Fred

In that case your guess is as good as mine and trailering it might be the way to go. Good luck.

Distant neighbours!  (we seem to stick a "u" in wherever we can).  ;D

Swampwing2

This topic is as debatable as any others. I have built a few engines while racing with the SCCA over the past 12 years. I break them in for about 20 minutes on non synthetic oil for 20 minutes at varying RPM over 2000 to make sure there is plenty of oil flow and splash everywhere, then move the car around the shop as necessary until a race weekend.  Then change to a synthetic oil for race weekend and run it 100% after a couple laps of practice. As long as the engine was built correctly, then it will be good to go.  Your 500 miles is plenty.

In my, and other engine builder opinions, manufacturer break in mileage is more for new drivers getting used to a new vehicle and all its characteristics. It really has very little to do with actual wear and tear on the vehicle.  An engine is the strongest right after its been built and rings are seated, which does not take that long. Not much changes once the rings are seated.

I am sure others will disagree.

:cheers:

BSB67

Quote from: 440 on December 25, 2017, 11:02:44 PM
How many miles should be put on a reconditioned engine before a long trip is considered "safe"?

Is it too soon?

Safe for what?   What is the concern? I

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Once mine come off the dyno, they are ready to go. Ive never followed the whole "break in" theory. What do you do when you buy your brand new car? Are you not permitted to drive it before the 1st 1,000 miles are racked up for breakin? No, you drive it off the lot and go. Furthermore, if your valves are noisey or need adjusting already, or the lifters and pushrods are stuck and not rotating, something is very very wrong and its too late after 500 miles of driving.

Obviously the rings should be seated by now but what is the risk of glazing the cylinders from extended light engine load constant rpm. I wasn't easy on it during break in but I wasn't really hard on it either

At least by checking it its peace of mind and able to find problems before they become major problems.

BSB67

Not really on point with this discussion, but at this point, you, and anyone one with a fresh engine built should do a cylinder pressure check.  This is key information in either future trouble shooting or understanding performance.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

That is good advice actually and I must admit it's not something I thought about being a fresh engine, but it makes perfect sense.

heyoldguy

As stated earlier, likewise, when they come off my dyno they are ready to go. But, why not consult your engine builder and do what he wants. Give the guy a break.

To my surprise my rusty piece of junk made it without any issues, averaged 11.36 mpg and burned almost 50 gallons. All in all it was a pretty fun trip and the car ran well, it could still do with some more power though  :lol:

Fred

Pleased it all went well for you.  :2thumbs:
Happy New Year.  :cheers:

alfaitalia

Quote from: 440 on December 31, 2017, 09:04:51 AM
To my surprise my rusty piece of junk made it without any issues, averaged 11.36 mpg and burned almost 50 gallons. All in all it was a pretty fun trip and the car ran well, it could still do with some more power though  :lol:

50 US gallons (converted to UK is 41 ish  imperial gallons) would cost $312 here (about £230!).....I bet it would have cost you rather less!! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Adding up the sums I burned $277 aus in fuel, I also took a 20 liter jerry can just in case so the total fuel bill was $301.

alfaitalia

Oops.....my mistake.....forgot you were not in the Land of Cheap fuel....USA!!!

I used to complain about fuel prices in the US too, now I see why everyone else was saying how Americans have nothing to complain about, lol.

Fred

alfaitalia

In answer to the OPs thread title question.....it depends how far away your dealer lives! :icon_smile_big:

Fred

Quote from: 440 on January 05, 2018, 10:05:10 AM
Quote from: Fred on January 04, 2018, 05:18:14 PM
I was afraid to ask!  :eek2:

I'm sure your charger sips the juice too  :lol:

You bet. 8 mpg.  I can hear it guzzle away the minute I start her up.........slurp slurp!! lol!  And it's got to be Ultimate unleaded 98 at that. She will settle for nothing less.